New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

For a while it was between me buying myself either a Fuji X-pro2, or perhaps an X-T2. Now as Iíve gotten to do some research and do some back to back testing, rather than making things clearer, Iíve widened my choices in fact. But never mind that, that can oí worms is for another post.

Iíve had time with the two contenders separately, for just a few minutes each time, and also got to handle them together back to back for about 15 minutes at my local shop. I was in fact so blown away with both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 in the area of general speed as well as focus speed, that that is no longer a differentiating issue for me. They are both far faster than what I need for my intended shooting. Kudos to Fuji, itís a startling difference over the first generation efforts.

In the newness of things, I forgot to check out some of the details, which would probably be important to me on a day to day basis, so Iíd like to ask the Fuji X-Pro2 owners for some answers to these details. Iíll ask about the X-T2 in a separate post.

So here goes:
1: Is it possible to set up the Joystick so that a press can be configured to act as a function button? Especially, is it possible to trigger focus by pushing the Joystick down? That would bre a dream come true for me because for reasons that I wonít bore you with I sometimes would want to shoot one handed, but still not have the shutter trigger focus. The Focus lock that CAN be set up to trigger focus instead of the shutter (Yeay, finnaly!) is a great solution, but being so far to the right of the body, Iíd lose grip in those rare instances where I do really want to shoot single handedly.

2: What does the front dial do by default if it is pushed? Can it be programed to a custom function via a press, and if so, can a longer hold of the press invoke a different menu? That would be similar to how the main function dial on top of the plate works, and kind of a nice detail, though not a huge deal. Just curious.

3: On my X-pro1, when the optical viewfinder is used and one goes to move the focus points, the optical changes to electronic first, then lets you move the points to your need and then changes back to Optical. That is pretty sub, optimal imho. Does the X-Pro 2 exibit this same behaviour, changing to electronic while you move the focus points?

4: Has the latest firmware changed any details not described in the Manual, and if so, how?

5: I kind of like the ISO dial as itís designed on this model but I notice that there is only one Auto ISO spot on it. If Auto ISO is selected, is it possible to configure a Function button, so that one can change one back of the Auto ISO, previously configured, to a second and maybe third pre-configured Auto ISO? That would be a pretty big nicety, in my way of thinking. What Iím trying to get at, if that wasnít well explained; is if itís possible to pre-configure say bank 1 with max ISO 1600, and a minimum shutter speed of say, 1/60th, and then have bank two set to max ISO to 1600 and a min shutter speed set to 1/125th for when you change lenses, and thus be able to call up different values very quickly and without changing the other Auto ISO set-ups. Iíd love to simply have three of these, for two different groups of focal length and one for low light work - to set, forget and access with hardly a thought. Is that doable?

6: if the Fuji X-Pro 2 is set to use the electronic viewfinder and one wants to use the Q menu or to see the photo you have just shot, is it possible to have it display on the rear screen, or are we still stuck on having to view it in the viewfinder? Iíd like to shoot with the viewfinder, and personally would use the optical from 16mm to 56, but for the 90 that I lust after, and the 14 that is such a favorite lens Iíd be using the electronic viewfinder, and find it really anoying on my X-po1 that if the electronic viewfinder is enabled, Iím forced to make adjustments with the camera to my eye and to review photos postage-stamp size shots. And one canít just go ďah, geezĒ and hit the display change, no, one has to exit playback, change to the optical and then finnaly hit playback. Not very refined imho.

7: Lastly, is it still really easy to turn the camera on in the bag by mistake or as you carry it. My X-Pro1 is always coming to life in unexpected situations and then flashing the battery low indicator as if to say ďHa ha, you dummyĒ.

Now donít get me wrong, overall I really value and enjoy my X-pro 1, but at the same time I hope the progeny is better mannered, and better be, if it wants to spend a few years in my bag.

So help me out, you all that took the first plunge.

Thanks.

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:01 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

1. No
2. Nothing
3. No
4. Yes. Mainly AF improvements and the ability to stop the rear thumb dial affecting SS which is very useful for flash shooters.
5. Yes and it's very useful.
6. Depends how you have it set up (eye sensor)
7. No. Never happens to me.

All in all the 2 is so much better than the 1. But the 1 is still a good camera.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:01 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

Buy the X-T2.

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:44 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

^^ Yep, an X-T1 owner here who is going to do exactly that when resupply shows up.

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

I prefer the XP2.

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:18 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

I've got the itch between cameras down to about 50/50 at this point between the two models. So many features have been improved in both models, but I've got some more investigating to do about the X-T2 as well. There are a few things I really did not like about it (no that is an exaggeration, but it was a case of minor disappointment leading to my wondering about it's suitability to my purposes, when opportunity costs are considered)

I wouldn't now for example hesitate to pick up the X-T2 instead of my Nikon D3 for ANY fast or sports oriented shooting. That is not something I would have said about the X-T1. But I don't anymore shoot, or want to shoot that kind of way.
So it's greatness may be lost on me.

I've actually thought that perhaps I should sit this one out. Wait until about two to three years when the next model is out and them buy two of my final favorite choice for close-out prices. The advantage in that to my current beggar budgets - is the 90mm, F.20, the 23 F2.0 (tested to work great with IR) and the new upcoming flash. All bought this year and enjoyed for two or three years, while giving up those sublime improvements the X-Pro2 or the X-T2 offer right now.

Perceived needs versus wants. I hate that topic, almost as much as my bank account ballance!

But, the fever is strong this year!

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:20 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some X-Pro2 questions, before choosing.

Ian Boys wrote:
I prefer the XP2.

XP2? Is that the one with the beer opener?

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password