New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Voigtlander 180 4

buthurt
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 180 4

Voigtlander noob here - I have an opportunity to purchase a Voigtlander 180 4 Nikon mount for about 700 USD. I checked eBay prices and was shocked to see it trending at 1500. It is really that good? Or is it just rare to an extent that it became a collector item? Even at 700 I consider it pricy considering my old Nikkor 200/4 micro MF costed like 200.

Would appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:55 PM
LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 180 4

PhotoZone tested some of the Voightlander tele-macros and the results were so good that the prices shot up. I checked, and they tested on a D200, so maybe they are not as good as supposed. Don't Voightlander make some of the Zeiss lenses? If so, that will surely add to their cachet.

Nov 01, 2016 at 04:12 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 180 4

Just buy it, would be my advice. It's a great optic, super compact. It will be as sharp or sharper than any 70-200 f/4, but it is MUCH more compact.

Nov 01, 2016 at 04:19 PM
deej2005

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 180 4

Ming Thein reviewed this lens a few years ago. You can find out more by finding the review on his site.

Dave

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:16 PM
delic66
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 180 4

I used the Voigt 180 on D200 and D700 for several years before selling it here. Its strong point is its compactness. However, it is all metal, so the size belies its weight. It has a long focus throw. Sharpness was excellent on these cameras, except for infinity. (It is labeled as a "close focus" lens.) I remember people complaining on forums that the lens can not achieve infinity focus, and my copy had the same issue. So I can not recommend it if you intend to use it for distant subjects. For 1500 USD, I would take the 70-200/4 any day and keep the change. I would pay 700 USD only if you need the compactness and do not mind the caveat above. Also, check to make sure that the lens does not have excessive dust inside.

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:40 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 180 4

I had issues at first with infinity, but after having it a while have no issues, and images at infinity are plenty sharp. I would characterize it as very, very good at infinity, excellent everywhere else.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:53 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 180 4

I sold mine for $1400 this past summer so you've got to ask yourself, why is someone selling it for 1/2 of the going rate?

Wonderful colors, even sharper for objects at the near end of focus distances, it was my go-to tele on a D700 (ZF 21 or R 28 Elmarit, NOCT and CV 90 or 125 were its steady travel companions). Suffered none of the dreadful chromatic aberrations of the much-heavier 180/2.8 AIS ED. The Nikkor's virtue lie in the ease in hitting focus. Besides the aforementioned twitchy focus at infinity, f/4 rendered the VF relatively dim for accurate MF in less than bright daylight unless using LV or attached to a Sony.

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 180 4

Every time I think I might sell mine I manage to take a great image with it. Especially now with the A7 series from Sony where you can actually very accurately focus it at infinity it's found new life. Also, this lens has great contrast, something lacking in many other lenses of this focal length. Took it to Europe for 3 weeks this past summer (of N. America) and it performed admirably.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:36 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 180 4

Checkout the legendary Nikon 200mm F4.0 AF Macro first.

Nov 04, 2016 at 02:39 AM
buthurt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 180 4

thanks guys - ended up grabbing it, so looking forward to see how it performs. My most expensive MF lens so far.

Nov 04, 2016 at 02:56 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 180 4

Wonderful lens and incredibly compact. You made the right decision.

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:01 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander 180 4

Never had one but it seems to be very very good optically and so compact. Prices are incredibly high though. Seems like an occasion to try it out, and in the worst case, sell afterwards with even some revenue.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:46 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander 180 4

buthurt wrote:
Voigtlander noob here - I have an opportunity to purchase a Voigtlander 180 4 Nikon mount for about 700 USD. I checked eBay prices and was shocked to see it trending at 1500. It is really that good? Or is it just rare to an extent that it became a collector item? Even at 700 I consider it pricy considering my old Nikkor 200/4 micro MF costed like 200.

Would appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Whoah buy it!
You won't regret it. Sharp at every aperture, nice close focus, small and portable.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:30 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander 180 4

austinschutz wrote:
I had issues at first with infinity, but after having it a while have no issues, and images at infinity are plenty sharp. I would characterize it as very, very good at infinity, excellent everywhere else.

I think the infinity issues are down the very small focus throw at long distances, rather than limitations on the optics.
I've found that using the TAP has make it possible to get focus at or around infinity even better than manually on an A7, and revealed it to be fantastic.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:32 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password