end

Which Camera
D810
D500

Based off my pics, which body?

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Based off my pics, which body?

The image quality between D810 and D800E is the same. (DxO actually gives a tiny nod to the D800E, even.) You get nothing for the extra $$ spent on D810 that would be useful for landscapes. You would be a lot better off buying used D800E plus Nikon 24mm PC-E, or spend what you save on travel. Why waste cash here?

--->Looking at your photos, I see absolutely nothing that would justify the extra expense of D810 vs. D800E. The photos will look exactly the same from either camera.

Kent in SD

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:52 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Based off my pics, which body?

Two23 wrote:
The image quality between D810 and D800E is the same. (DxO actually gives a tiny nod to the D800E, even.) You get nothing for the extra $$ spent on D810 that would be useful for landscapes. You would be a lot better off buying used D800E plus Nikon 24mm PC-E, or spend what you save on travel. Why waste cash here?

--->Looking at your photos, I see absolutely nothing that would justify the extra expense of D810 vs. D800E. The photos will look exactly the same from either camera.

Kent in SD

Funny, I totally disagree. I have only ever seen maybe 3 photos from you posted here, and they were not Landscape Photos. I have posted many photos here, and they are all Landscape photos. That's simply to say the proof is in the pudding when people speak.

I have both the D800E and the D810, I shoot with my D810 easily 98% of the time. Perhaps to an observer who hasn't used both camera's the differences might not seem that much, but the totality of them are a huge improvement. If you can't appreciate those differences, then perhaps its because you don't really shot landscapes or at least not very much. There is a reason why I shoot primarily the D810 and that is the improvements in it provide a much better quality of life for me as the photographer.

Jim

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:15 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Based off my pics, which body?

D810 or D750 if 36MP is too much.

Nov 02, 2016 at 10:04 AM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Based off my pics, which body?

JimFox wrote:
Funny, I totally disagree. I have only ever seen maybe 3 photos from you posted here, and they were not Landscape Photos. I have posted many photos here, and they are all Landscape photos. That's simply to say the proof is in the pudding when people speak.

I have both the D800E and the D810, I shoot with my D810 easily 98% of the time. Perhaps to an observer who hasn't used both camera's the differences might not seem that much, but the totality of them are a huge improvement. If you can't appreciate those differences, then perhaps its because you
...Show more

I agree with Kent in that the IQ is very similar; however, I agree with you that that there is a large difference in the over all user experience with the D810. It's much more refined, the shutter is much better, the AF is snappier, base ISO of 64 is superb!, face detection comes in handy and find it helps exposure some when taking portraits, and the list goes on and on. If someone wants great IQ the D800E fits the bill but the D810 is well worth the extra to me if someone can afford it.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:02 PM
ariot
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Based off my pics, which body?

SouthwestS2K wrote:
I still can't decide on a body, although after hearing reviews from owners who owned both D500 and D810, seems like the D810 is still holding ground. The D810 has so many rebates now, its a great time to pick up one of the two. So, based off my pictures.. if anyone wants to take a quick look, what do you think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21416691@N05/

Here are the highlights for buying the D500;

- Not cropping. Not professional. Not selling pics. Not printing.

Here are the highlights for buying the D810:

- Shoot lots of landscapes and landscapes. Pixel
...Show more

Looking at your pics, I wish I never sold my S2K (NFR AP2 08).

Anyway, I'm not a landscape person, but if I were, I would want a full frame camera. D800E/D810, good glass and a really, really good tripod.

I dropped you a follow for the S2K pics.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Based off my pics, which body?

JimFox wrote:
I have both the D800E and the D810, I shoot with my D810 easily 98% of the time. Perhaps to an observer who hasn't used both camera's the differences might not seem that much, but the totality of them are a huge improvement.

DxO comparision of D800E & D810 sensors. The reality is: no difference in image quality. A quieter shutter makes no difference for landscapes, and neither does a slightly improved AF etc. And, I very rarely shoot video.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Nikon-D800E___963_814

A test of resolution/performance from Sigma 35mm 1.4A using both cameras:
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-35mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Sigma-35mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Nikon-on-Nikon-D810__1057_814_1057_963

The image quality from both cameras is dead even. Why would I spend >$800 more when I get no improvement? If you can come up with lab tests showing a visible difference, let's see them.

I'm a practical guy and I just hate spending money on camera bodies in the first place--lot of money tied up that quickly loses value. If I can't see a difference, and my customers can't see a difference, why would I spend $800 and get nothing from it?

I have only ever seen maybe 3 photos from you posted here, and they were not Landscape Photos.

Over the years I have likely posted over 100 photos here. Many were landscapes--I live in South Dakota and travel fairly extensively.

Kent in SD

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Based off my pics, which body?

morrismike wrote:
You know in 1.2x crop mode the D810 would do fine with those same lens? Which small lens are you speaking of, the 17-55 which is a monster? There are many fine small FF lens, size shouldn't be a deciding factor for you.

Try getting an 18-300 on FX with one lens. Not gonna happen. Oh, and crop mode is annoying.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:17 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Based off my pics, which body?

The D800E was a fine camera when it came out. I owned two.

Now after the D800E was out for a while, people wanted more, and also discovered the weaknesses. The complaints came in about focus issues on the far left or right focus points, then the steady whining about the live view. Compared to the D810 it was "first generation" and rough. No one disputes that. Also the shutter was LOUD! I know from personal experience I might get one shot off, and that bird had flown... Maybe not noticeable in a loud environment, but in a dead quiet situation, it scared every living thing away.

No, the image quality didn't change much (if at all) between the two bodies, but it was the refinements in many other areas that made the D810 worth it for a LOT of photographers. So in addition to the above, ISO 64 was also a nice bonus, as was the different grip shape and slightly faster frame rate. So, in the end, it depends on what features are worth it to you, and how serious you are about any one genre you shoot also. At this point, just about every serious landscape photographer I know who shoots Nikon is using a D810 and have either sold or kept their D800E as a backup. But it isn't their primary landscape body.

Nov 02, 2016 at 06:24 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Based off my pics, which body?

Based on the pictures you like to take the D810 is the obvious choice. It is with lenses with a long focal length, i.e. 70-200mm and longer, where the D500 provides more reach and you gain with the slower f/5.6 zooms like the 200-500mm with the improved autofocus system of the D500.

Actually people tend to overlook the D7200 and it is a 24MP DX camera as compared to 20.9 with the D500 and the D810 in DX mode provides a 15.3MP image size. The D7200 has dual SD card slots and the internal commander flash and greater resolution than a D500 and should not be overlooked when deciding on a new camera.

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Based off my pics, which body?

elkhornsun wrote:
Actually people tend to overlook the D7200 and it is a 24MP DX camera as compared to 20.9 with the D500 and the D810 in DX mode provides a 15.3MP image size. The D7200 has dual SD card slots and the internal commander flash and greater resolution than a D500 and should not be overlooked when deciding on a new camera.

About 95% of the photos I take personally*, and I'd say 100% of the photos I saw on the OP's Flickr, could be taken every bit as well with a D7200 as a D8xx. I've gone to a D5300 as my travel camera. There is no discernible difference in quality between it and D800E for shots posted on internet, or in prints up to about 11x14 or so. I think people tend to spend WAY to much on a camera, which generally is the least important thing in photography.

Kent in SD
*It would be 100% if I didn't
shoot at night a lot or use a
24mm tilt/shift lens.

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Based off my pics, which body?

Why waist more money join the dark side and buy a Sony a7r ii or Fuji xt2 muahahahah

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:07 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Based off my pics, which body?

If I interpret the original post correctly, the OP doesn't crop or print. So why are we even discussing the D810? The 810s IQ advantage only shows up in very large prints, so he can save some money by using a 600, 610 or 750.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:58 PM
SouthwestS2K
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Based off my pics, which body?

Alexluu627 wrote:
Why waist more money join the dark side and buy a Sony a7r ii or Fuji xt2 muahahahah

Well, not to bash on Sony owners, but I want a camera that will reliably turn it on when I want to use it

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:37 PM
SouthwestS2K
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Based off my pics, which body?

Two23 wrote:
DxO comparision of D800E & D810 sensors. The reality is: no difference in image quality. A quieter shutter makes no difference for landscapes, and neither does a slightly improved AF etc. And, I very rarely shoot video.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Nikon-D800E___963_814

A test of resolution/performance from Sigma 35mm 1.4A using both cameras:
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-35mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Sigma-35mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Nikon-on-Nikon-D810__1057_814_1057_963

The image quality from both cameras is dead even. Why would I spend >$800 more when I get no improvement? If you can come up with lab tests showing a visible difference, let's see them.

I'm a practical guy and I just hate spending money on camera bodies in the first place--lot of money tied
...Show more

There wouldn't be a difference between the two, D800E and D810. I mean, with the same lens in a controlled environment, DPreview shot the same shot with a D810, A7R II, and 5DSR and there was no difference between the three camera's, even when zoomed. Now, I'm not sure if that is a testimony to the sensor in the D810, or an insult to the sensors in the other two.

The D810 sensor wins against the D800/E in ISO performance in both video and images. I owned the D800, then D810, and the improvements are nice. Specially now, the D810 is on rebate $2400 from Nikon.

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:41 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Based off my pics, which body?

Two23 wrote:
About 95% of the photos I take personally*, and I'd say 100% of the photos I saw on the OP's Flickr, could be taken every bit as well with a D7200 as a D8xx. I've gone to a D5300 as my travel camera. There is no discernible difference in quality between it and D800E for shots posted on internet, or in prints up to about 11x14 or so. I think people tend to spend WAY to much on a camera, which generally is the least important thing in photography.

Kent in SD
*It would be 100% if I didn't
shoot at night
...Show more

The reason I switched back to Nikon from Canon was to get the 14-24mm f/2.8 lens and a pro level full frame camera with the D3. No comparison between that lens on a full frame camera and a 10-24mm or similar zoom on a crop camera.

If all one is doing is landscapes and other images than a full frame D610 provides the widest range of lenses for the photographer. If someone was shooting sports and wildlife then I would steer them toward a crop camera.

The OP asked based on his images which was the best camera to select and for what he shoots it is going to be a full frame camera that provides 100% of the potential field of view of a lens and not 66% of the FOV.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:14 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Based off my pics, which body?

SouthwestS2K wrote:
The D810 sensor wins against the D800/E in ISO performance in both video and images

I haven't found any lab test showing much (if any) difference between D800E & D810 sensor performance. The DxO tests I referenced above show D800E with ISO 2979 & D810 @ 2853. The DR difference was within half a stop. New D810 $2,500, lightly used D800E selling for ~$1,500. A thousand dollar difference! You could buy a Sigma 35mm or 50mm f1.4A lens with that, or almost a used 24mm PC-E! Or, a round trip ticket to someplace interesting. That extra thousand buys a landscape photographer nothing at all. If it was worth it, I would already have two of them.

The reason I bring all this up is I started on photo message boards back in the mid 1990s. Like now, all the talk seemed to infer that if you have the latest expensive camera, your photos will be better. I spent thousands and thousands buying the "hot" camera of the day, and it did absolutely nothing for my photography. All of that money was wasted. I finally wised up. Same thing is going on in this post.

Kent in SD

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:49 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Based off my pics, which body?

Get a beach bod. Easy peasy.

Nov 06, 2016 at 02:50 AM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Based off my pics, which body?

Or you could get the D810. I want one myself.

Nov 06, 2016 at 02:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password