Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Westcott X-Backdrop system?

mregala

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

I like the grey and white backdrops, but the mottled ones that are supposed to look like painted canvas (e.g. Mist, Slate, Quarry) don't really appeal to me. Can the X-Drop stand be used with non-Westcott canvas? I know I would have to put grommets in, but will the stand hold the weight? Or would it be feasible to just gesso and paint a white X-Drop backdrop?

Thanks!
Mike

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:13 AM
story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

The reviews for the Wescott X-drop are mixed. The specifications don't mention a maximum load. For about the same money you can get a more traditional backdrop support system with two stands and a cross-bar where you can put 2 or 3 sections together for different backdrop widths. The Impact backdrop setup (as an example) has a max load of 20lbs. It also appears that the reviews on B and H are more consistently positive.

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:40 PM
mregala

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

The big appeal of the X-Drop is that it puts tension on the cloth and will mitigate some of the creasing. I have a more traditional "2 lightstands and a bar" backdrop holders but I only use seamless paper on it because of the creases in my muslins...

So I guess my real question to everyone is what is the best way to get my fabric backdrops taut? Is there something better than the X-Drop system?

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:53 PM
TEAM KEN
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

I returned my X kit, because I simply couldn't get the backdrop stretched enough for my taste.
Center was fine...but obvious less tension when moving from center.
Worked as described...but no tension..in my opinion.
My Savage collapsable are my go to at the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

If you don't like creases roll your canvas up like the paper

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

J.Andrew

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

I have the Wesctott X-drop along with traditional background systems. Here is my take. The X drop is good for what it is. It folds up small in a travel bag and doesn't take up too much room. But to answer your question, It can not (I could be wrong) be used with other backdrops. It was specifically designed for the X drop system. You will be better off getting a traditional system. I just bought mine a year ago because I needed to fly a green screen out for executive portraits. It served the purpose. One more thing that no one has mentioned. It takes up a large foot print and needs a high ceiling. The traditional stands can be squeezed in etc.... You can't squeeze an X drop. Trust me I know Most board rooms etc.. have low ceilings and the X drop is useless. Nothing says professional like gaffer taping a background to a wall when I couldnt squeeze in.. Lesson learned. I bring both systems, but 95% of the time I am using the traditional system.

-Jay

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:08 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

I use the X-Drop for white backgrounds. The new version reduces the depth needed.

My headshot travel kit flys on Alaska Airlines without overweight or over size bag fees and the X-Drop is part of that.

If you need small and light and can go with the white or green then it's a good system. I think it's an okay value.

I own three X-Drops and three conventional backdrop stand systems and use the right one for the job at hand.

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:50 PM
MNPNW
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

I agree, not a good fit for non X-Drop fabrics.

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:51 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Westcott X-Backdrop system?

It's a vital part of my video toolbox. I use it constantly for interviews, sometimes with green screen, more often with gray or white backgrounds.

Yes, as mentioned you do need a 10-foot ceiling, but I find that I'm either doing interviews in a favorable home environment with low ceilings but with enough character that I don't want a backdrop, or in an ugly corporate environment that has zero character...but high ceilings. It's big enough to interview two or three people.

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:01 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password