Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

instructions are on online somewhere - in case it is locked up, or gets that way later on

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

the Z was the redesign and should not have the issues of the past.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:56 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

rw11 wrote:
instructions are on online somewhere - in case it is locked up, or gets that way later on

As I mentioned a few times, it works as it should, no concerns with it. Said so in the first post and a time or two later.
I will stop in and get it when in the area. Thanks to all for comments.
Over and out.

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:15 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I feel certain it will lock up eventually; like I said

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I suggest you let the ball roll where it may.

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:57 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I use the Kirk BH-3 ballhead with the Wimberley Sidekick and my 500mm f/4 lens and have no problems at all. Even with the leveraged load of the Sidekick there is no flexing or slippage and no need to crank the tension way down. I bought it to use in place of the heavier Kirk BH-1 and it turned out to be a good move.

There is not much that one can do to improve on a ballhead design. With Really Right Stuff you pay a lot more to get a cosmetically prettier ballhead which clearly appeals to many people.

Nov 01, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

rw11 wrote:
I feel certain it will lock up eventually; like I said

I am sure you are correct. You know what you are talking about. When it does, it will likely belong to another person. I ordered the Wimberley Wh-200 today.

Thanks to all for your continued support.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I have two of the B1s and the older one was a problem, but not the second one.

EBH

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Charles Loy wrote:
I am sure you are correct. You know what you are talking about. When it does, it will likely belong to another person. I ordered the Wimberley Wh-200 today.

Thanks to all for your continued support.

You can't go wrong with the full gimbal, but it is not a ball head. .
Will you be getting a quick connect to swap out the gimbal for a ball head?

EBH

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:12 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

EB-1 wrote:
You can't go wrong with the full gimbal, but it is not a ball head. .
Will you be getting a quick connect to swap out the gimbal for a ball head?

EBH

I plan to use two tripods, check both out. I've never used either, so it will be fun learning experience.

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I tried two tripods once years ago when I had the old Wimberley full gimbal. That was a mistake not to be repeated.

EBH

Nov 03, 2016 at 10:02 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Tough crowd here, can't seem to comment anything w/o objection.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

ask a question or make a statement in an open public forum you'll get a fair amount of answers and/or additional comments in every direction.

do your due diligence and go with it

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

elkhornsun wrote:
I use the Kirk BH-3 ballhead with the Wimberley Sidekick and my 500mm f/4 lens and have no problems at all. Even with the leveraged load of the Sidekick there is no flexing or slippage and no need to crank the tension way down. I bought it to use in place of the heavier Kirk BH-1 and it turned out to be a good move.

There is not much that one can do to improve on a ballhead design. With Really Right Stuff you pay a lot more to get a cosmetically prettier ballhead which clearly appeals to many people.
...Show more

on the Kirk BH3 or just about any ball head using a sidekick: well yeah, drop the clamp (bottomed out) into the slot w/a sidekick attached of course there is no flex or with a balanced setup even worry about slippage. just about any ball head works like that with a sidekick. simple mechanics which seems to be dark magic to some.

on RRS: well your opinion is noted. and an opinion it just is. anything is a sum of its design goals. it made its goals for more than a few.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:45 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Actually I tried two other ballheads that were rated for 35 lbs. or more and with both of them there was flex between the ball and the clamp and it was quite apparent with the Sidekick attached and a 8 lb 500mm f/4 lens in use with a camera for a less than 12 lb. load. I bought them from B&H where it is very easy to return items that disappoint.

Although the BH-3 is load rated by Kirk at 15 lbs I have found no flexing with the 500mm lens and a body. Going to the 600mm f/4 with its extra 3 lbs. of weight and the BH-3 was beyond its capabilities. I could have gone back to using my Kirk BH-1 ballhead with the Wimberley but I decided instead to get the fantastic adjustable gimbal mount from Custom Brackets.

Nov 08, 2016 at 05:50 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

With Really Right Stuff you pay a lot more to get a much more functional ballhead with good service which clearly appeals to many people.

but it is your money, effort and time so you will want to suit yourself - others can only advise

Nov 08, 2016 at 07:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

rw11 wrote:
With Really Right Stuff you pay a lot more to get a much more functional ballhead with good service which clearly appeals to many people.

but it is your money, effort and time so you will want to suit yourself - others can only advise

Unfortunately the RRS BH-55 heads are designed for left or two-handed operation.
Being almost 100% right hand able, the ergonomics are rather difficult for me. The other option is to turn the main knob to the right rear and lose the drop notches, which are in strange positions anyway. I wish RRS would make a RH model. The Arca-Swiss Monoball design and its derivatives (Markins, Photoclam, etc.) have a symmetrical main knob for use with either hand.

EBH

Nov 09, 2016 at 08:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

one cannot be all things to all people. me, I have no operational issues with the 55, 40 or 30. I am right handed and its functionality is just right for overall control.

Nov 09, 2016 at 11:57 PM
chris.b
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

the Z1 is fabulous. Best ball head I've ever had. I have no experience with the BH-3. Although I believe since I got mine they've switched the clamp design to disallow putting your own clamp on it.

I have an RRS clamp on mine.

Nov 10, 2016 at 04:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

chris.b wrote:
the Z1 is fabulous. Best ball head I've ever had. I have no experience with the BH-3. Although I believe since I got mine they've switched the clamp design to disallow putting your own clamp on it.

I have an RRS clamp on mine.

We have one of each. The new clamp on the BH-3 is better in that it has a level and a bit nicer knob. Of course that difference does not affect the functionality. The older head was damaged in a landfall and they replaced the clamp along with the other knob damage quite reasonably.

EBH

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:39 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.