New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Local Pawn dealer has one each Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head. Both are very clean, slight cosmetic scuffs but correct function. I have used pan head's for years but want to give the ball head a go. I'll use 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 lens on the head. I read the Z is rated to hold more weight but both are rated to handle my gear.
Which is suggested as best of these two?
Thanks

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:14 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

are they < $100?

used RRS would be my choice even for more $$; or markins

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

The BH-3 is a underrated old-school ball head. Although it will physically hold a 500/4, it's more of a mid-sized head for a 300/2.8 or lighter lens. The A-S has a larger ball and is suitable for use with a 500/4. However, a long lens is much better controlled with a gimbal head or at least a Wimberley SideKick on a ball head.

EBH

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Appreciate the replied. I am choosing one of the two mentioned above, and realize there is many many better heads and systems that are better suited.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

The Zs are premium ball heads so there are not many, many better. Even used, one should not be all that cheap unless there is something wrong or it fell off the back of a truck.

EBH

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:33 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

maybe it locked up and the PO didn't know how to unlock it? they were better but I've heard they still locked up sometimes

I'd also favor the Z - check used pricing before jumping in

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:37 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

I did a small job for the shop owner's daughter, and I suggested one of the heads for payment rather than cash (I'm retired). So he suggested I can take my choice. Sounds like the Arca Swiss Z will be mine. It works perfect, slight cosmetic marks but nothing else. I think he had both priced at $129. I was within a moment of buying the Desmond DB-44 on eBay, as I know nothing about ball heads. I have used the Bogen 3047 pan heads for 30+ years.

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

well if for some really strange reason it's between those 2 it would have to be the Z and only with its screw type clamp. its bad enough the clamp is trying to be all things to all people but its lever version has the capability of becoming a puzzle at the wrong time because its components are not captive.

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:33 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

What's strange about it?

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

they support both their Arca Swiss dimensioned plates and their "not ready for mass consumption" SlideFix plates (narrower design). its a stacked clamp design. their lever lock assy is of the manual adjustment type. sound great until you have many different dimensioned plates. in addition as I said the assy components are not captive. this means if you futz around with it it comes apart and you have to reassemble it.

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

One thing to consider is the fact that the AS is not recommended for use with a sidekick due to the fact that the ball isn't perfectly round (this is done for a reason), so if you are considering going with a sidekick for a gimball like experience the Kirk might be a better choice.

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

The clamp mechanism is fiddly. It's workable when adjusted correctly. If you use certain different brands of A-S plates there may not be one perfect point. Kirk, RRS and Wimberley are generally the same dimensions.

EBH

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
One thing to consider is the fact that the AS is not recommended for use with a sidekick due to the fact that the ball isn't perfectly round (this is done for a reason), so if you are considering going with a sidekick for a gimball like experience the Kirk might be a better choice.

It is something else.

https://www.tripodhead.com/arca-swiss-warning.cfm

I used the Sidekick on the B1 with no problems. The ball is locked in place during SideKick use.

EBH

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:02 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Well, maybe I should just pass on this, even considering it is basically free-
Thanks for the comments.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

like I said just get the screw type clamp assy and its good. you also have the option on having the clamp assy removed by precision camera (their rep for repair in the US) too. i'd be taking a free Z even though I use RRS.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:33 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

EB-1 wrote:
Even used, one should not be all that cheap unless there is something wrong or it fell off the back of a truck.

I agree, $129 is a very low asking price for an A-S Z1 described as "very clean". Maybe its an older model - does it have the word Monoball on it?

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

if its a Z1 its the most recent version of the product

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:46 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

you should take either the Z head or his daughter

Nov 01, 2016 at 04:55 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Z, as mentioned. Monoball Z (with screw clamp), Not Z 1.
His daughter is younger than my daughter, I don't want to raise another, but thanks for that suggestion, rw11.
I have it; the Monoball Z is a better choice for my lenses, not the Kirk BH-3.

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:36 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kirk BH-3 or Arca Swiss Z Ball Head?

Charles Loy wrote:
Z, as mentioned. Monoball Z (with screw clamp), Not Z 1.
His daughter is younger than my daughter, I don't want to raise another, but thanks for that suggestion, rw11.
I have it; the Monoball Z is a better choice for my lenses, not the Kirk BH-3.

Monoball Z is the series. Z1SP, Z1DP, Z1G or Z2 is the model. I had the Z1DP (double pan) which has the 2nd panning platform on the clamp. Most likely the head in question is a Z1SP (single pan) with the desirable screw clamp. The Z1G is the giant head and the Z2 is the double ball system.

EBH

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password