Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

The good folks at CPS are sending me a 1DxII and 800mm in December...and my wife wants to go somewhere to put them to good use. I tend to agree with her. I want to go somewhere where I can really use that 800mm to its full potential, and I don't think that's going to be down here in South Florida.

We've always wanted to go to Yellowstone, but I don't know if that's a good idea with a one year old (and maybe my wife's elderly parents) tagging along.

I'm hoping for something where we can drive our SUV up to, or fly and rent an SUV that we can use to drive around. Ideally, we can see beautiful fall colors and wildlife from the car, or with short walks from the car. The concept of hiking for any amount of time is not going to go well with baby, elderly parents and a 800mm

So, can you recommend where in the US to go that would be accessible by car, baby friendly, with nice fall colors and the opportunity to use the 800mm with some wildlife? Or is this an impossible combination?

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:33 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

I'd go stalk some fancy people in Hollywood.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:00 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Arizona's lowlands can be quite pretty early in the month...

http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?p=947
http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?m=201112

Lots of birds to shoot...

Edited on Nov 01, 2016 at 09:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:26 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

I was at the Lower Klamath NWR, just south of the OR/CA border. Lots of raptors, sandhill cranes, and several large flocks of snow geese. The cranes would definitely benefit from your gear; raptors were hunting fairly close to the dikes ("roads" that can be driven on). You might also check Tulelake NWR, which is close by.

That's about as far from you as you can get in the Continental U.S., though...

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:31 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

For Yellowstone in the winter a 100-400mm or 200-400mm would be the best choice as most of the available animals will be bison. My late May the grizzly sows and their cubs will be out and about and a 800mm would be good to have.

I would be looking to travel to Tucson and photographing the birds migrating through that area or wintering in the area.

You will have problems taking the 800mm lens on board with you even if you are in first class so that is something to factor into your travel plans. Sad to say train service in the USA is the worst in the world so it becomes a choice between flying with smaller lenses or driving.

Nov 02, 2016 at 10:09 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Other than the fall colors, I can't think of a better place to use an 800mm than South Florida. Texas, along the Gulf coast and in the Rio Grand Valley would also offer great wildlife. Not sure how well your family would enjoy either location.

Nov 03, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Thanks everyone. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications for this one and didn't see your replies.

Abbott Schindl wrote:
That's about as far from you as you can get in the Continental U.S., though...

I'm not trying to get as far away as possible. I'm just trying to find where to go with such a lens and with my family. Heck, if I could be an hour's drive it would be better.

elkhornsun wrote:
You will have problems taking the 800mm lens on board with you even if you are in first class so that is something to factor into your travel plans. Sad to say train service in the USA is the worst in the world so it becomes a choice between flying with smaller lenses or driving.

That's exactly my concern. I don't want to take such a lens in checked luggage, and I suspected it wouldn't do well as a carry-on. That's why I'm really hoping for something we can drive to instead of having to fly.

stanparker wrote:
Other than the fall colors, I can't think of a better place to use an 800mm than South Florida.

Any particular location in Florida to go to use the 800mm? I'm not aware of one that's particularly good for that. Anywhere in Florida would be good because I could drive there and it's no more than half a day's drive no matter which point in the state - which makes things more manageable with our baby.

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:37 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

I made extensive use of my 800mm in the Everglades NP, a location that's in close proximity to you.

5D Mark III + 800mm f/5.6L IS:

7D + 800mm f/5.6L IS + 2x TC III:

Nov 03, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Great photos mitesh.

Issue is, I've lived here for 16 years and don't particularly find the Everglades that exciting anymore. I would like something a little different. Can still be Florida, sure...but Everglades is like my backyard.

Nov 04, 2016 at 03:35 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Any particular location in Florida to go to use the 800mm? I'm not aware of one that's particularly good for that. Anywhere in Florida would be good because I could drive there and it's no more than half a day's drive no matter which point in the state - which makes things more manageable with our baby.

I was thinking of the Everglades, but there are many places to shoot wildlife all over the southern half of FL. Love the Keys, but you may have tired of them. There are sanctuaries in/near almost every town. You can pick one that offers family activities, then research for wildlife. For example, I used to live near St Pete, where there are dozens of parks that have birds, but also have things the family can do. Orlando area has many parks/sanctuaries, plus many family activities. Same for Cape Canaveral area. Use Google to find specific locations, depending on what you'd like to see. I doubt that you have seen all the good places in Monroe, Dade and Broward counties, there are so many.

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Steve Bingham

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Bosque del Apache in New Mexico. Great place for long glass and birders!

Nov 07, 2016 at 05:06 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

In December, I go to the Northshore on Oahu for the surfing competitions. Pipeline masters runs from Dec 8 to the 20th. That would be my suggestion to give the 800 a good workout.

Aloha, Steve

Nov 08, 2016 at 03:52 AM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Great shot! What lens was used to capture this?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Bosque del Apache in New Mexico. Great place for long glass and birders!
http://dustylens.com/Sandhill%20Cranes,%20Bosque%20del%20Apache.jpg

Nov 18, 2016 at 06:35 PM
Steve Bingham

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Believe it or not, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. I was surrounded by tens of thousands worth of camera equipment. 400, 500, 600mm, gimbal mounts, etc. 200mm on a Nikon DX body (300mmm).

Nov 19, 2016 at 03:13 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

I second Bosque del Apache.

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:54 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where to go in December to make the most of a 800mm lens?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I've already decided to stay in Florida with the CPS gear, and leave traveling with my own gear and without the added complications of the oversized 800mm.

As of right now, it looks like it will be three days of intense shooting. Got locations for two of the days, still considering what to do the third day. But it's all going to be in Florida it seems.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password