Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · A minor catastrophe

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A minor catastrophe

You're a good guy, Danny. And this is a business frought with "heat of battle" perils. It's not for the faint of heart. Shake it off and hang in there. Regardless of what actually happened, it won't be the last time.

There's a great line in the movie "Big Jake".

John Wayne, in the process of rescuing his grandson, and amidst a dozen bad guys who can't hear him is almost whispering to the arch villain (badly paraphrased)...

"You should know, if anything goes wrong... your fault, my fault... doesn't matter, I'm gonna blow your head off"

Especially under difficult circumstances, we prepare best we can, we execute best we can, endure when things go wrong, and move on.

That's life buddy.

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:32 PM
Boss302
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A minor catastrophe

Would the number of camera shutter actuations show up to see if those shots were taken? Check the last number on the photos of the event and then the first photos of your next event? Perhaps?

Nov 01, 2016 at 05:55 PM
leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A minor catastrophe

Does your camera use two cards. Might the images be on one card and not the other?

Could there be any files that your system isn't picking up as image files?

I'm assuming your camera is set so that it's not possible to fire the shutter without a card in.

Is it worth doing a card recovery, just in case you've deleted a batch of images in camera?

Nov 01, 2016 at 06:27 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A minor catastrophe

leethecam wrote:
Does your camera use two cards. Might the images be on one card and not the other?

Could there be any files that your system isn't picking up as image files?

I'm assuming your camera is set so that it's not possible to fire the shutter without a card in.

Is it worth doing a card recovery, just in case you've deleted a batch of images in camera?

So, this is actually what I think may have happened. My back up body (D750) was out for a repair so I was shooting on a rental. I'm not sure what the default option is for the 2nd card slot in the D750 if it's redundancy or spill over. I'm wondering if the 2nd card was set to record once the first card was full and I didn't realize it. I don't think that's very likely because I would have noticed it when picking out cards for future work but I guess it's a possibility

I usually never format cards until the files are delivered to the client, but it's my busy season and I ran out of cards. I was planning on editing the photos the week I needed cards, so I triple backed up the files to another drive and (reluctantly) formatted the cards and moved on. Once they are written over there is no coming back. I already did a card recovery and got nothing out of it unfortunately.

Nov 01, 2016 at 06:41 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick wrote:
No missing image files anywhere, although The Bride says that I shot them last thing. I honestly can't remember shooting them. I remember talking about them, I remember them being on the agenda, but I cannot remember actually shooting them. She says I did, I have a terrible memory, so it's likely I did. I've reached out and asks if it's possible someone else took them, she's adamant that I did, so I sent some honest apologies and offered some odds and ends.

I appreciate the advice folks. Lots of good insight to be considered here.

Can I ask you a question? Do you have your cameras set up so that they don't fire unless there's a card in there?

I know I've had numerous situations where I'm done for the night, start to put my cameras away and putting the cards in their pouch, when someone will grab me for a series of shots.

It's been a long day. You're tired, and want to leave. It's very easy to quickly fire a few frames and see the image on the LCD and think you're done. That's why it's a good idea to make sure your camera has the card lock on it.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:54 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A minor catastrophe

RSHPhotography wrote:
Can I ask you a question? Do you have your cameras set up so that they don't fire unless there's a card in there?

I know I've had numerous situations where I'm done for the night, start to put my cameras away and putting the cards in their pouch, when someone will grab me for a series of shots.

It's been a long day. You're tired, and want to leave. It's very easy to quickly fire a few frames and see the image on the LCD and think you're done. That's why it's a good idea to make sure your
...Show more

Oh yeah. 100%.

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:00 PM
taran
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick wrote:
Nope, I never delete anything. I have no answer to that question, they're just not there. I have no clue whatsoever what happened.

I know what happened, you have a workflow problem.

At the end of the wedding, all cards must be dumped to a folder on your computer. If you didn't do that, then you failed your clients. It happens if you are in this business long enough. Nothing to say other than you need to be much more diligent in your handling of files.

All my clients get their finished files within 24 hours of the wedding, this also mitigates any file misplacement. But, I have never heard of a wedding photographer as fast as me.

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A minor catastrophe

taran wrote:

At the end of the wedding, all cards must be dumped to a folder on your computer. If you didn't do that, then you failed your clients. It happens if you are in this business long enough. Nothing to say other than you need to be much more diligent in your handling of files.

All my clients get their finished files within 24 hours of the wedding, this also mitigates any file misplacement. But, I have never heard of a wedding photographer as fast as me.

Wow. 24 hours? That's epic. Mind sharing your work flow a bit??

That's motivating. My files are definitely dumped before I even go to sleep the night after the wedding. My workflow could definitely be improved and probably could have solved this situation. Thanks for the kick in the ass.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:22 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A minor catastrophe

taran wrote:

Please share your process!

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:46 PM
taran
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick wrote:
Wow. 24 hours? That's epic. Mind sharing your work flow a bit??

That's motivating. My files are definitely dumped before I even go to sleep the night after the wedding. My workflow could definitely be improved and probably could have solved this situation. Thanks for the kick in the ass.

I don't do edits, simple as that. I have custom presets that can fool the eye of all but the most discriminating customer into thinking I hand edited everything, those presets are contemporaneous with whatever the kids like on pinterest and instagram.

There are no more newspapers in the US that hire photojournalists, but when I learned to shoot for the newspapers, we had deadlines for europe, so east coast red carpets had to be uploaded less than 30 minutes after being shot so you could make the european rags.

I worked on deadline like this for years, and it means i can get through a wedding with 2000-3000 pix in about an hour, fully edited via batch an hour later.

I used to be faster, 24 hours is an eternity for me, but if I deliver the photos any sooner, the clients accuse me of black magic and not doing any actual work.

Nov 03, 2016 at 05:44 PM
VerucaSallt

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A minor catastrophe

Yikes. I hope that gets sorted out for you.

One of the first weddings I was a second for, the lead photog was accused of leaving early and not getting the couple's grand exit (I was long gone by that point). In reality she was hired for a 10 hour day, wedding ran almost 12, she offered to stay an extra 1.5 hours at her hourly rate which they declined then I guess had buyer's remorse. It was her time stamped images that saved her ass. That was a good lesson early on, and as it seems a lot more goes into CYA than I first thought. It may seem like overkill but I begin and end every event with a photo of time.gov on my phone. I didn't think it would be helpful in a situation like this but it's good to see I'm not paranoid.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:31 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A minor catastrophe

Sorry to hear of the problem.. here is an idea to prevent it in the future: always take a photo of your watch or phone as the last photo when you leave, that way you have the exact time you left, and if you always do that, you can say "I always do this..." and it will help keep you out of the frying pan in the future.

Cheers,
Paul

Nov 04, 2016 at 12:22 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A minor catastrophe

Paulthelefty wrote:
Sorry to hear of the problem.. here is an idea to prevent it in the future: always take a photo of your watch or phone as the last photo when you leave, that way you have the exact time you left, and if you always do that, you can say "I always do this..." and it will help keep you out of the frying pan in the future.

Cheers,
Paul

Actually a good practice for syncing cameras with your 2nd shooters (and your own cameras), as well.

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:51 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A minor catastrophe

ogerisg321 wrote:
Please share your process!

I think it's Keurig K Cup!! That's the only way.

Nov 06, 2016 at 03:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password