Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A minor catastrophe

I just delivered a wedding and the couple was super stoked with everything until they realized that a few photos were missing. Apparently I took some group photos at the end of the night (the wedding was 8 weeks ago and I'm struggling to recall if I actually took these photos or not, but I'll concede that I did take them) which are missing from her proofs. I don't have them anywhere in my catalogs or backups. These were super important to them and I can't help but feel I failed them. That being said, those photos are nowhere to be found and are just gone and I have to find some sort of solution here. Any suggestions on some concessions to make? Money back? A few canvases? Album? Any similar experiences would be awesome. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A minor catastrophe

None of those things you could offer will make up for not having those images. Maybe someone else with a camera took those photos. How would you not have them anywhere otherwise, do you delete rejected images that quickly after a wedding?

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A minor catastrophe

If they can't be recovered from the cards, that's really unfortunate and yes nothing can make up for the absence of photos. I had an incident like that just once, but it was comparatively minor and the particular few photos that got deleted mattered very little to the client.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A minor catastrophe

TTLKurtis wrote:
None of those things you could offer will make up for not having those images. Maybe someone else with a camera took those photos. How would you not have them anywhere otherwise, do you delete rejected images that quickly after a wedding?

Nope, I never delete anything. I have no answer to that question, they're just not there. I have no clue whatsoever what happened.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A minor catastrophe

Then if you can't remember taking those photos, I would not so easily concede that you did in fact take them. I hear stories about couples telling their photographer they took X image all the time. Someone probably took it, perhaps it just wasn't you. They're drunk at the end of the reception probably, and the whole day is a blur anyways. I wouldn't trust their recollection to assume that magically some files I don't remember shooting disappeared.

I would confidently state that I did not take said photographs, I do not delete any images, and someone else must have taken those images they're thinking of.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A minor catastrophe

It may just be me, but if I was taking an organized group shot...especially at some point out of ordinary like at the end of the night...I would definitely remember it happen. I bet you didn't actually do it.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:41 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A minor catastrophe

Then if you can't remember taking those photos, I would not so easily concede that you did in fact take them. I hear stories about couples telling their photographer they took X image all the time. Someone probably took it, perhaps it just wasn't you. They're drunk at the end of the reception probably, and the whole day is a blur anyways. I wouldn't trust their recollection to assume that magically some files I don't remember shooting disappeared.

I had this issue recently. The "missing" shots were some that apparently involved both sets of parents together with the couple n.b. 6 participants.

The couple, together with other attendees apparently, could recall me giving specific posing instructions during these missing shots.

However, what actually happened was that the weather was rainy all day and we rushed through what we could do within what was in any event an unrealistic time allowance. We did the couple with each set of parents then broken further down into bride with mum bride with dad etc. But the brides instructions had been to miss the all parents together shot in order to get the essentials. She even had my list in her hand, which as it was such a complicated shot list was a direct copy of the email she'd sent me. Furthermore we went through the list later in the evening to identify any essential missing shots that had been rained off earlier and completed these in a photogenic lounge in the venue.

However on delivery the bride insisted that the "missing" shots had been taken. Wrong, but there was no convincing her.

So what I did was screenshots of the complete downloads folders before culling. She could see for herself that the file names ran consecutively and there were no gaps. Could you do this as well to prove to her no files are missing? Did you shoot any files after these evening groups that would help show there are no gaps?

Never underestimate clients ability to acquire false memory syndrome. My most extreme case was a bride who said she was looking forward to seeing the church photos ..... only problem was that she wasn't married in a church but in a hotel! And when she said it we were both standing in the very room in which she'd had her ceremony.

Pete

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:22 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A minor catastrophe

Uff dah. I'm not sure how you organize your files, but it has happened to me before where I accidentally moved some files to a different folder in LR and couldn't find them right away. If you manage your photos in one large LR library (or some other similar manner), it might be worth it to try arranging them all chronologically and see if they re-appear that way.

Was there a second shooter there or any guests with big cameras that the intoxicated wedding party might be confusing?

Obviously this won't matter for your current situation, but I shoot redundantly to two cards and I make a point of keeping one of the cards set aside until the wedding is delivered, just so there is a backup of unedited RAWs in case of emergency.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:46 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A minor catastrophe

> Then if you can't remember taking those photos, I would not so easily concede that you did in fact take them.

This.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:20 PM
elevationphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A minor catastrophe

All the above advice is great. I would add, brainstorm with them to find out details of the shot and who was in it? Perhaps one of those family member remembers things differently? Showing consecutive files is always great too.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:48 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A minor catastrophe

If you didnt delete anything, you dont remember taking them, and (as suggested) the time and order of the group shots in LR indicates there are no gaps in time, etc, then I dont think you took them.

If you shot the groups organized and as listed, you did nothing wrong, but you have a very very angry bride !

Good luck.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:59 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A minor catastrophe

check the time on the last frame you have, do you remember when you left?

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:26 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A minor catastrophe

are they in the contract?

if not, offer a re-shoot

if so, you did not earn the full contract amount...

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:26 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick wrote:
I just delivered a wedding and the couple was super stoked with everything until they realized that a few photos were missing. Apparently I took some group photos at the end of the night (the wedding was 8 weeks ago and I'm struggling to recall if I actually took these photos or not, but I'll concede that I did take them) which are missing from her proofs. I don't have them anywhere in my catalogs or backups. These were super important to them and I can't help but feel I failed them. That being said, those photos are nowhere to
...Show more

Look through the files and see if any file numbers are missing.

If there are, dig into why (failure to copy from sd/cf?) asap. Not so much for this wedding, but to make sure your system is solid.

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:46 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A minor catastrophe

I have also been accused of Missing pics I didn't take.
I know I didn't take them because it was a limited reception. They didn't want to pay for the reception to be covered so I did some setup shots of the cake Cutting, the bridal waltz, the entrance and left.

Bride was adamant as was her mother I took these pics hours later. Groom admitted he was too drunk to remember saying I do. That was back in the film days and I showed them the last roll that had the final pics before I left on it and then being half way through, the next frames were of my kids the next day. They acknowledged it was a limited reception they paid for, they acknowledged me coming and asking if there was anything else they wanted before I left but then claimed I must have come back and done these other family shots?
Hello??

Took the owner of the venue to tell them what time I left and I wasn't there at the claimed time ( left at least 2 hours before) to convince them I didn't take the " Missing" Pictures to begin with. He also remembered them spending a very long time out the front taking family pictures and trying to convince them to come back inside and enjoy themselves rather than standing out the front all night and that I was not there at any time.

The retort when the penny dropped was " Well who took them then?"
Ummm, You were there, we have just established ( finally) I wasn't, How the fluck do you think I would know who took them?
Bizzare.

I agree with the others, If the numbers run and there is nothing to suggest these pics weren't lost or deleted, Sorry, must have been someone else.
I'd suggest you get them to go back in their heads who had a camera (phone) there and ask the guests if they have them. 100 Bux says they turn up.

I'm wondering what could have been so important you supposedly left it till the last thing?
Surely if it was that important it would have been on their mind to get them asap not as last minute pics when they typically don't look " Their Best".
To me that's something else that undermines the likelihood of you shooting the pics.

I don't admit Guilt for things I wasn't responsible for even to keep clients happy.
We certainly are open to a lot of problems and claims by clients that we had not part or fault in with what we do and I can't see how you protect yourself from something like this.

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:33 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A minor catastrophe

DannyBostwick wrote:
I just delivered a wedding and the couple was super stoked with everything until they realized that a few photos were missing. Apparently I took some group photos at the end of the night (the wedding was 8 weeks ago and I'm struggling to recall if I actually took these photos or not, but I'll concede that I did take them) which are missing from her proofs. I don't have them anywhere in my catalogs or backups. These were super important to them and I can't help but feel I failed them. That being said, those photos are nowhere to
...Show more

Danny - some really great advice above. I'd just add two things.

One, you don't strike me as the type of guy that would make an "error" like that;

Two, you strike me as exactly the type of guy who would be very inclined to assume responsibility for something if there was the slightest shred of possibility you did mess up.

Both of those are compliments... but particularly in light of those truths, I'd really listen to your brethren above. Let them ground you and keep you from beating yourself up over something that probably didn't happen.

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:04 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A minor catastrophe

GhostPhotog strikes again!

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:08 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A minor catastrophe

Sorry to hear this Danny. Don't let it bring you down too much; at least all the photos didn't 'disappear!'

Are you sure they aren't on the memory card somewhere, like if the number count reset to 0 or something?

I bet you didn't actually shoot them, and that the couple is remembering incorrectly.

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:27 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A minor catastrophe

Yep the image file numbers will tell the story. All the more reason never to delete in camera...

I had a client screaming why I didn't have her in her daughter's cake cutting shots. I had to remind her that she wasn't actually in the room when it happened, (who knows where she was at such an important time). Nope she insisted that I'd missed her out, so I said "no, if you were there, then you would be in the shot - right by your daughter...!"

"Oops" she admitted - "Maybe I was somewhere else then..."

Memories, facts and rose-tinted-spectacles... often never share the same place in our heads.

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:28 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A minor catastrophe

No missing image files anywhere, although The Bride says that I shot them last thing. I honestly can't remember shooting them. I remember talking about them, I remember them being on the agenda, but I cannot remember actually shooting them. She says I did, I have a terrible memory, so it's likely I did. I've reached out and asks if it's possible someone else took them, she's adamant that I did, so I sent some honest apologies and offered some odds and ends.

I appreciate the advice folks. Lots of good insight to be considered here.

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.