FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Cortinarius elegantissimus A Rare Mushroom

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cortinarius elegantissimus A Rare Mushroom

Previously known as Cortinarius auriantoturbinatus, this is listed in only one of our numerous books on British mushrooms. In that one it is said to be on the Red Data Book vulnerable species list. However, it seems to be doing better than previously and was removed from the list about a decade ago.

It occurs in autumn, under Beech trees Fagus on chalk. We found these yesterday in Beech wood on our local Chiltern chalk hills. Neither my wife nor I, in many decades of hunting mushrooms, had seen it before. All the more surprising to find it amongst grass and leaves about a pace from the public road.

We are grateful to Gordon Crutchfield, who knows the mushrooms of the wood well, for identifying it.

Cortinarius, from cortina, a web, has brown spores and a web, in young individuals, stretching from the cap to the stem. I have tried to show this in the images.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus digital 50mm f2 macro ED, f9 or f16, double or triple off-camera TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:53 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cortinarius elegantissimus A Rare Mushroom

More, with crosseye stereos.

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.