New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

imagesbyt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

Hi,

I've taken a hiatus from photography for about 4 years. Things have changed since then! I thought I'd give a try to thumbtack, so far I've had a few gigs, but i've also lost alot of bids and it's obviously not due to my quality (MUCh better than most i see on there) or my prices really, I honestly think it's mostly the "tire kickers" and people who aren't even serious. I had one guy tell me "Oh wow, you guys get charged when you bid? I didn't know that!" Hell, sometimes I wonder if thumbtcak could be creating fake ads, lol.

So, I'm not sure if I'm goin to continue using thumback. I don't like the idea of losing money when I didn't even get anything; i'd be glad to pay on gigs I got, but ones I simply bid on??

Can someone tell me their thoughts on this, as well as kindly recommending some other sites I can try? Thanks

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:14 PM
imagesbyt

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

Dang, another thing that's changed, is this forum has gone down the TOILET! What the hell happened to all the traffic it used to get??

Oct 31, 2016 at 08:14 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

I never use that kind of place. They use your images to attract hits then make you pay to bid. the people have no idea the images seen were not from the low bid. If you do any local SEO then you are working against yourself for position and because your images will be see on their site.

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:06 PM
imagesbyt

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

So what do you use? Anyone have any tips on places to advertise? I have a problem with "blind advertising" where I just put an ad in some magazine or something.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

Word of mouth. Hit the pavement with a portfolio. Get in front of potential clients. You did not say what kind of work you are looking for...

Good old fashioned networking. It seems like it takes even more time than ever to build a reliable client list today. So many "here today, gone tomorrow" businesses.

Craigslist is pretty useless, and I have become VERY selective about bidding on Thumbtack for the same reasons you mentioned.

Good luck,
Paul

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

I just signed up for Thumbtack for the first time at the start of the year.

It seems like 99% of "clients" searching for creative will put $100-150 as their "budget"

I've bid on a few of those at a much higher starting rate, and usually get the "I only want to spend $100". I've bid on about a dozen inquiries, and so far I have one person scheduled for a phone conversation. However, that person was one of the only people who entered a budget where I start my pricing.

Thumbtack feels like a bottom-feeders area. Not sure I'll buy more "credits' when mine are spent. Which is also an issue, as sometimes it wants 5 credits on something the client only wants to spend $100 on. What?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

imagesbyt wrote:
Dang, another thing that's changed, is this forum has gone down the TOILET! What the hell happened to all the traffic it used to get??

Mostly it's short term assholes only participating when they need something and then expecting immediate gratification. Jury's still out on taking multiple year hiatuses from photography... I mean, who can say, really.

Other than that, all's pretty good in FM land. Crested over 300K members about a week and a half ago and almost up to 301K now.

How's life with you, stranger?

Jan 26, 2017 at 01:45 PM
imagesbyt

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

So what do you guys suggest then for leads? I agree on the bottom feeder, I also go alot of the "you're out of my price range" on there. My work seemed much, much better than almost everyone on there too. I'm just not sure what else try other than "blind advertising" posting in places.

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:09 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

Craigslist got a good response for me back in the day, and there's no fee to post ads there. Almost certainly varies depending on where you live, of course.

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:13 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thumbtack, angies list etc, please recommend some sites

I have had ZERO luck on CL. 1 paying gig off MM.

Word of mouth seems like an good option.

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.