Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

jr19

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

Hey everybody. I'm fairly new to lighting equipment. I have a couple LumoPro LP605 light stands, a couple speedlights, a white umbrella, and a 28x28" softbox. I've decided I want something with a little more power to overpower the ambient lighting during the day, and I'm going to purchase the manual Xplor 600 strobe. I don't have any experience with strobes at this point, so I'm not super familiar with the equipment I need to go along with them.

I do all of my shooting on location at this point, and I do a lot of it outdoors. I have a feeling that my current stands are not up to the task of holding up the strobe. According to the LumoPro website, the max capacity of the stand is 5 pounds. It looks like the whole strobe setup weighs 5-6 pounds. What would some good portable alternatives be?

Also, I'm not super familiar with all the mounting terminology. If I buy the Xplor 600 with Bowens mount, I'd sort of like to get a compatible softbox/octabox for portraits. I was looking at the Westcott Rapid Box 26" octabox, but do I need to get some kind of Bowens adapter to use it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:02 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

For light stands, I really like the 9' Manfrotto 1005BAC. It is solid as can be, heavy duty, folds fast, and supports well over the weight of your strobe & modifier. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609051-REG/Manfrotto_1005BAC_1005BAC_Alu_Ranker_Light.html)

The 26" Rapidbox is not going to work with a strobe of any kind, just speedlights. Bowens mount modifiers use a ring that hooks right to the face of the strobe, with the bulb directly inside the modifier itself. I use a SMDV S70 with speedlights, but they make a Bowens version as well. (http://www.legioaerium.com/collections/speedbox-for-speedlights/products/smdv-diffuser-speedbox-s70-professional-28-inch-70-cm-quick-folding-dodecagon-softbox-for-speedlight-flash-legio-aerium-limited-edition?variant=6057270148) It has steel ribs (won't break like fiberglass) and folds up fast. The 12 sided shape makes the catch lights nice and round. There are others, of course, but something like this might be a good place to start.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:15 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

I have the Xplor 600 and have used it with this stand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI3WX9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its pretty good for the price and can handle it just fine but of course, outdoors I have sand bags which I guess goes for most stands in windy areas.
In studio I normally use a C-stand for the added flexibility.

If you buy the Xplor 600 Bowens mount (i was not aware they had different mounts) then just buy a RapidBox with bowen mount and you will be set to go. Justa make sure is not only for speedlights (small flash).
I own the Westcott XXL Octa and their 24" Joel Grimes beauty dish.
Another option which is cheaper is the Fotodiox EZ-Pro line up of Octaboxes.
Quality is not quite like the more expensive wescott but its hard to argue with the price.
If you are planning for more full body shots and can deal with the size, I would suggest something bigger like a 32" or 36".
Fotodiox has their Beauty Dish which with diffusers can sort of double as beauty dish and softbox and the 32" is around $120. Not as easy to setup as an umbrella though.

I recently got addicted with softboxes so I have been researching a lot. lol

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:16 AM
jr19

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

Thanks BSPhotog and shaolin95 for the advice. I think I might go with the Manfrotto option as far as stands go. I've had really good luck with Manfrotto equipment in the past, so I think I'll stick with them.

As far as modifiers go, I'm glad you pointed me towards the Fotodiox offerings. I have some money to spend but I don't want to break the bank right away. I do plan on doing some full body shots, and the bigger the modifiers get, the more expensive they seem to get. So any way to keep the cost down without losing too much on the quality side is a good thing.

Thanks again for the replies!

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:52 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

jr19 wrote:
Thanks BSPhotog and shaolin95 for the advice. I think I might go with the Manfrotto option as far as stands go. I've had really good luck with Manfrotto equipment in the past, so I think I'll stick with them.

As far as modifiers go, I'm glad you pointed me towards the Fotodiox offerings. I have some money to spend but I don't want to break the bank right away. I do plan on doing some full body shots, and the bigger the modifiers get, the more expensive they seem to get. So any way to keep the cost down without losing
...Show more

That is why I mentioned EZ-Pro from Fotodiox because, dont get me wrong, I do feel the Westcott is superior in several ways but the Fotodiox is darn good as well and for the price of ONE single XXL from Westcott you can pretty much get 3 different sizes of the Fotodiox. So who can argue with that kind of value?

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:06 AM
jr19

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

BSPhotog wrote:
For light stands, I really like the 9' Manfrotto 1005BAC. It is solid as can be, heavy duty, folds fast, and supports well over the weight of your strobe & modifier. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609051-REG/Manfrotto_1005BAC_1005BAC_Alu_Ranker_Light.html)

The 26" Rapidbox is not going to work with a strobe of any kind, just speedlights. Bowens mount modifiers use a ring that hooks right to the face of the strobe, with the bulb directly inside the modifier itself. I use a SMDV S70 with speedlights, but they make a Bowens version as well. (http://www.legioaerium.com/collections/speedbox-for-speedlights/products/smdv-diffuser-speedbox-s70-professional-28-inch-70-cm-quick-folding-dodecagon-softbox-for-speedlight-flash-legio-aerium-limited-edition?variant=6057270148) It has steel ribs (won't break like fiberglass) and folds up fast. The 12
...Show more

Have you tried the Manfrotto 1004BAC? I see that you can get it for almost the same price but get 3 extra feet of extension. I'm not sure how much I'd use that extra extension between 9 and 12 feet though.

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:12 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

I have not. The 1004BAC has a lesser weight capacity, perhaps because of its added height. Not sure what the other differences are. When I need the extra height, I have an extension pole (099b I think is the Manfrotto model number) that adds between 4 and 8 extra feet. I wouldn't put a strobe 17' up, but a speed light or two is just fine.

I am sure this goes without saying, but definitely always bag your stands. A strobe tipping over from that height could do some serious damage.

jr19 wrote:
Have you tried the Manfrotto 1004BAC? I see that you can get it for almost the same price but get 3 extra feet of extension. I'm not sure how much I'd use that extra extension between 9 and 12 feet though.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:02 PM
silvermesa1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

Here is another source of information regarding the gear you are thinking about. Check out his blog or look up fjh photo on youtube.

http://www.fjhphoto.com/blog/

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:28 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

I use these a lot, I have 6 of them and as long as it isn't super windy, or I'm using a large modifier or I can't use my roller stands

http://www.adorama.com/gt10.html

If you'll be outside in a lot of wind you may want to look at

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99162-REG/Matthews_387485_Maxi_Kit_Steel_Stand.html

Outdoors modifiers I use are the Paul Buff PLM's that will use the umbrella mount. Also I've used Fotodiox Beauty Dishes and they'll have a Bowens S-Mount adapter to fit it on the light.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jr19

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

neoshazam wrote:
I use these a lot, I have 6 of them and as long as it isn't super windy, or I'm using a large modifier or I can't use my roller stands

http://www.adorama.com/gt10.html

If you'll be outside in a lot of wind you may want to look at

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99162-REG/Matthews_387485_Maxi_Kit_Steel_Stand.html

Outdoors modifiers I use are the Paul Buff PLM's that will use the umbrella mount. Also I've used Fotodiox Beauty Dishes and they'll have a Bowens S-Mount adapter to fit it on the light.

Thanks for the links. It's generally not too windy here, but it's not totally uncommon to have some pretty gusty days in the fall and spring. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for a light stand, and with so many options, it's hard to choose. I don't think wind will be too much of a factor in most situations, and I do plan on grabbing some sandbags to help weigh everything down. The first link obviously has the more attractive price. I'm sure I'll choose something at some point this week...I'm pretty indecisive on stuff like this.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:19 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

jr19 wrote:
I do all of my shooting on location at this point, and I do a lot of it outdoors. I have a feeling that my current stands are not up to the task of holding up the strobe. According to the LumoPro website, the max capacity of the stand is 5 pounds. It looks like the whole strobe setup weighs 5-6 pounds. What would some good portable alternatives be?

Latecomer to the thread, apologies if anyone has mentioned it, but there is the Extension Head, which allows you to move the bulk of the light off the top of your stands.

I find myself either reaching for beauty dishes or lots of sandbags/anchors when shooting monolights outdoors, ever since the incident with a 60" umbrella, White Lightning X3200, Vagabond 2, fountain, and a certain park in downtown Houston which unexpectedly gets focused blasts of wind between the buildings.

Nov 04, 2016 at 02:49 PM
jr19

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

Jay Ford wrote:
Latecomer to the thread, apologies if anyone has mentioned it, but there is the Extension Head, which allows you to move the bulk of the light off the top of your stands.

I find myself either reaching for beauty dishes or lots of sandbags/anchors when shooting monolights outdoors, ever since the incident with a 60" umbrella, White Lightning X3200, Vagabond 2, fountain, and a certain park in downtown Houston which unexpectedly gets focused blasts of wind between the buildings.

I actually grabbed a bunch of sandbags when I ordered the stand and strobe. Just need to fill them up now. I grabbed a Westcott Rapid Box XL (36") so hopefully it works out for me.

Nov 05, 2016 at 09:02 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

The paul buff stands work if your on a budget 13 foot air cushion. That is what I"m using currently. BTW their on closeout too.

Nov 19, 2016 at 03:12 AM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

The most important consideration, in my view, when thinking about light stands for the AD600 with largish modifiers is the diameter of the legs when fully opened. Outside I generally use a 13 foot Calumet stand for its wider foot print, even though I rarely raise the light more than 8 feet.
I also use the H600 head for the AD600 which turns it into a pack and head. That permits attaching the pack to the bottom of the stand to add weight. Its still easy to pick up and move.

Concerning modifiers, use the EZ-Pro until you have enough experience to appreciate the subtle differences modifiers offer. Try to get the EZ-Pro soft boxes that include the deflection disk.

Nov 23, 2016 at 04:01 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

I just bought a Xplor 600 and am so bummed that I can't use it with my 26" Rapid Box. I have the grid and the deflector for it too, it's been my favorite modifier for a while.

Elijah uses it with a Profoto B1 by using a paul c buff adapter but I don't think it would work for the XPLOR 600.

Damn

Is there a similar octa with grid and deflector disc available out there?

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:57 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

Rapid Box doesn't have a speedring connector?

Jul 05, 2017 at 04:12 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Light stand and modifier with Xplor 600 (Godox AD600)

They don't make them for their 26" rapid box, only their XL and XXL model, and it's fixed, not interchangeable, so must be ordered with the correct speedring.

After more research I ended up going with the SMDV S70 28" octa with dual baffles and the 28" glow parapop grid from Adorama. Total cost $235, about half the price of the Westcott XL with a grid.

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password