Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

For a while now I've wanted to have a 'classic' f1.2 lens.
Not looking for Gaussian smoothness, but not to much crazy funk either. A bit of interesting structure to the bokeh.

Lots of choices of course, but I went with the OM Zuiko 50mm (not the earlier 55) partly for sentimental reasons (as an OM film shooter way back in the day at grad school, I always wanted to buy one but couldn't afford it!) and partly because it's one of the latest of the classic 1.2s, with a good reputation for a nice useable sweet spot wide open and decent bokeh.

So over the next few weeks as I get time I'll be posting samples and tests.

Let's start with the all important bokeh test.

Here we are at about a metre - prime portrait distance - with the door in focus and the living room of our house in the background, with structures at various distances between two and ten metres.

This is straight out of Lightroom with no editing (Camera Standard profile)

I offer you f1.2, f2, f2.8 and f4

1.2 vs 2 is the most interesting to me, as my other fifties are 2 and 1.8 so it's good to see if I've got an interesting difference here. I certainly find the 1.2 nice, a bit of fun busyness, but not too much, and interestingly different to the 1.8 on the 55 (no direct comparison here though: maybe later)

What surprises me so far is the amazing colour correction for a lens of its age: little or no bokeh fringing, better than some APO lenses at these distances (might be worse closer to the plane of focus though)

A bit of processing ups the contrast and 'pop' of course; a touch of contrast and clarity makes it look quite 'modern'

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:16 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

So here's an informal portrait of a less than attractive subject (ahem) just to get a sense of whether there is usable sharpness at f1.2. EDIT: I THINK THIS IS F2 AND I PUT THE WRONG APERTURE INTO EXIF SEE NEXT POST FOR F1.2

Yep on that! Though focus on TAP is a little hit and miss, about 2/3 keeper rate if you are lucky.

Thew pic is followed by a 1:2 crop of the 42MP head (I find 1:2 gives a more realistic sense of if something is sharp enough for production, though 1:1 is better for a technical sense of one lens versus another)

Edited on Oct 31, 2016 at 12:50 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

Oops! I'm pretty sure I've stuffed up: I think I put the wrong aperture into EXIF for that last image. It's f2, I think, not f1.2! Seemed too sharp for f1.2. And bokeh too smooth.

Anyhow here is a definitely f1.2 version. Somewhat more nervous bokeh, but nice in its own way, and still usably sharp. Keeper rate though (focussing remotely at f.12 with TAP) is very very low. Better if you are not doing it remotely via the app: the app doesn't let you use the smallest target.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:48 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

How accurate do you find the AF using TAP at f1.2?

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:58 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

chez wrote:
How accurate do you find the AF using TAP at f1.2?

It's accurate in good light using the smallest flexible spot.

But of course using a larger AF target it's more hit and miss because you can't vibe sure where in the larger area is b ding focused.

This poses a problem if you are using the remote app on a phone or tablet using touch focus, because you then only get the larger target and don't even see the little green dots that indicate which Pdaf points are used.

I'm finding around 25% hit rate in moderate light using the remote app, maybe 60% using the viewfinder in indoor light and much higher outdoors. Accuracy is much better at f2, I guess more because the improved contrast makes it easier than because error is masked by DOF.

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:03 AM
bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

I had similar issues with a FL 58mm F1.2 and the TAP.

Most shots seem to be somewhat misfocused, using the TAP - though the DOF is very very thin at that aperture and the lens isn't exactly sharp there either.

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:57 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

Very useful comparisons. I find the bokeh appealing at all your tested apertures. For a number of years I had an (unhealthy) obsession with the 55mm focal length so I have the OM 55/1.2, whose poor reputation is IMHO undeserved. If I could choose again, though, I'd go for a late OM 50/1.2 as you have, partly because of its better performance but also because its smaller filter thread and lower weight (49mm/285g vs 55mm/310g) make it a better companion for the TAP.

Nov 01, 2016 at 06:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

genji wrote:
Very useful comparisons. I find the bokeh appealing at all your tested apertures. For a number of years I had an (unhealthy) obsession with the 55mm focal length so I have the OM 55/1.2, whose poor reputation is IMHO undeserved. If I could choose again, though, I'd go for a late OM 50/1.2 as you have, partly because of its better performance but also because its smaller filter thread and lower weight (49mm/285g vs 55mm/310g) make it a better companion for the TAP.

Yes what I have found interesting is that while I got it for f1.2, knowing it would be a bit crazy but that's the fun, is that it's really very lovely at f2; much sharper than I expected in a generous area and gorgeous bokeh. I think I might prefer the look to my 1.8/55 FE (which is a lot sharper at the edges though) and different to but almost as nice as (and a little sharper than) the C-Sonnar at f2 (which also goes from interesting and funky at 1.5 to smooth and gorgeous at f2).

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:13 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.2 (on TAP)

Ok first an apology for more selfies; my wife is away (who is a better model!) and I'm in the country by myself trying to get a project finished: better people pics will come in a week or so!

But heres another of the Oly wide open at f1.2. The bokeh is both a little scaly, and soap bubbly, but I like it on this subject (a crab apple tree less than a metre behind the subject, so a really fast 50 is needed to break it up.)

It's well into Spring here in Oz

Oh, and a 1:2 crop to show how usefully sharp it is wide open (but also showing the downside of the thin DOF needed for the background)

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.