FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Metabones sounds like image quality is good, but a number of sites report issues with AF, e.g.:

Dec 04, 2016 at 06:34 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

From memory the issue they reported is repeated mechanical failures and they indicate that it is not up to the rough handling / usage by professional in the field.

they did however say that it was probably fine for use by individual owners who would look after the adapter more carefully (remember, all their products are hired out on a regular / repeat basis which will uncover any failures, which they then log and use the failure statistics for their reports)

I have seen very few problems reported since about v1.8 firmware onward, although there were many issues with AF / aperture control prior to that.

(I would suggest that they can't have too many issues with metabones as they are still offering for hire, but only on a try before you buy type basis)

This site has some useful input from those who use them https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1065

Dec 04, 2016 at 07:38 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I ordered the Smart T adapter, hopefully it will work well with the M1 and the M2, although I expect it'll need a FW for the latter. It's a bit too much dough to spring for both adapters for me at present.

Dec 04, 2016 at 08:30 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Looking forward to your report.
As alluded to in my previous post I'm aging, and quickly at that. As much as I love my Canon kit there is a time coming when I just won't be able to use it.
I have high hopes for the M1ii with my PL100-400mm and the better half will have her one M1ii to use with the Oly 300/4.
That said we've also ordered the EOS M5, his and hers, and I'll be comparing the two systems.

Dec 04, 2016 at 09:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

The Canon 400 f5.6 prime has always been considered one of the best "bang-for-your-buck" telephoto lenses, with the only complaint being it has no IS. Seems like putting it on a camera with IBIS will make it even better.

Dec 11, 2016 at 05:26 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I am really struggling with this too!

I am shooting mostly Nikon and Panasonic. I also still have some Canon kit- a Canon SL1, the 24 mm 40 mm, 50 mm 1.8 STM and an 85 1.8.

I used a Canon 7DII for wildlife last season. I would like to go to just Nikon and Panasonic for now, but it seems like Canon is a great fit with M 4/3 and the auto focus adapters for wildlife.

I got into Panasonic 3.5 years ago for the 4K video. That is still a better option for me than Olympus because of the 4K video features on everything except the Olympus M1 II.

+++

I am shooting a Panasonic GX8 right now with the Panasonic 100-300 for wildlife. I also have the Nikon D7200 with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (plus a D5500 for more casual use.)

I have 7 bad disks- 4 in my neck, 3 in my lumbar spine- plus a torn right shoulder. So I am pretty physically challenged with the weight of a DSLR kit.

I have to use a tripod and gimbal any time I use the D7200 with the 150-600. The GX8 with the 100-300 is much more manageable, but it also doesn't have as much reach as the 150-600 (900 mm equivalent on the D7200 with a 1.5x crop factor, versus 600 mm on the GX8 with a 2x crop.)

+++

I have the Canon 1.4x III and 2x III. I also have the Fotodiox Pro Canon EF to M 4/3 adapter. I don't have any longer Canon glass right now though. I sold all of that.

I have been thinking about trying the Canon 300 4.0 IS or the 400 5.6 IS.

Or I could just buy the Panasonic 100-400 and be done with it for now. I can't really justify the cost of the Olympus 300 mm 4.0 for the amount of shooting that I do. I also can't quite give up on my Nikon bodies for some things. I like the lack of an AA filter and the base ISO DR for landscape.

Frustrating choices. I wish that the Nikon lenses were all electronic like the Canon. Canon really is by far the best option to adapt to Sony and M 4/3.

Let us know if anyone has a chance to really test out the Canon 300 4.0 or 400 5.6 with adapters! Thanks.

Dec 11, 2016 at 05:44 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

"The Canon 400 f5.6 prime has always been considered one of the best "bang-for-your-buck" telephoto lenses, with the only complaint being it has no IS. Seems like putting it on a camera with IBIS will make it even better."

it sure does

(just remember to set the focal length in the IS function)

mmurph, some of my test images with the 400 f5.6L on the EM-1 via metabones T can be seen here - its great combo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75445098@N04/albums/72157669092533780

and some of my early ones are here (with more dotted about my site)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75445098@N04/albums/72157660135020344

Edited on Dec 11, 2016 at 10:40 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

mmurph wrote:
I have been thinking about trying the Canon 300 4.0 IS or the 400 5.6 IS.

There is no Canon 400 5.6 IS, just the 400 5.6 non-IS.

Let us know if anyone has a chance to really test out the Canon 300 4.0 or 400 5.6 with adapters! Thanks.

It will be several weeks before I am able to do that.

Dec 11, 2016 at 09:19 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Brian Wadie wrote:
mmurph, some of my test images with the 400 f5.6L on the EM-1 via metabones T can be seen here - its great combo

Thanks Brian, those look really good!

I guess I will have to try this out myself. I have a Panasonic GX8 and a Panasonic GX85, with the Kipon Canon to M 4/3 adapter. So there are enough variables I can't be sure how well my kit will function.

I bought into Panasonic about 3.5 years ago for 4K video, so I haven't tried an Olympus body. I don't think I want to switch over right now, the M1 II is the only 4K Olympus body as far as I know?

I was going to sell the Panasonic GX85 and keep the larger GX8 for wildlife work, but the GX85 has 5 Axis IBIS as well as the Dual IS that they both have. It seems like that could be useful for the 400 mm 5.6.

(I was also hoping to downsize my Canon kit, as I can't seem to get myself to sell my Nikon kit. But I just keep getting pulled back into Canon. The lenses are so great for adapting. )

+++

I tried out my Panasonic GX85 with my Canon 70-200 4.0, plus the 1.4x III and 2x III adapters. I tried the GX85 with IBIS instead of the GX8, as I noticed a few oddities when I had IS turned on on the Canon lens.

The Canon 70-200 4.0 focused well with just the bare lens. With the 1.4x and 2x, it seemed to hunt a bit and miss focus on the "single point" focus mode. It worked properly when I turned on "pinpoint" mode on the Panasonic. Then it seemed to grab focus correctly. It was a little slower than the bare lens with the 1.4x, and a bit slower again with the 2x.

The screen brightness was weird at time with the 2x on, shooting at f 8.0 with the Kipon adapter. The screen would look normal, then it would autofocus, and the screen would go bright white, or very dark at times. Like a 3 stop over- or under- exposure in the EVF. The actual image that it took looked normal. (I am going to turn off "Eye AF" and the always on AF to see if taht is causing any of the problems.)

This was all with just a quick test out of my window. I will test a bit more on location with both the GX85 and GX8 when I get a chance to do some wildlife work. That may be a week or two, I have been pretty busy the last week.

I am a little disappointed that I sold my Canon 100-400 version I a while back. I would like to see what that could do on the GX8/ GX85. It might also be interesting to try the 300 4.0 IS L. Hmm.... I will have to check my Canon CPS Gold level options for borrowing lenses. I hate to buy each just to test...

Thanks for the reports Brian, and others.

Best, Michael

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

sounds like you are getting it sorted Michael, have fun using those good old Canon L lenses

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

formula4speed
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Is Metabones still the only game in town for using EF lenses on m43? I know there are a few options at various price points for EF to Sony now.

Dec 13, 2016 at 09:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

formula4speed wrote:
Is Metabones still the only game in town for using EF lenses on m43? I know there are a few options at various price points for EF to Sony now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=adapters+canon+4%2F3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

And Kipon, not carried by B&H

http://www.kipon-usa.com/micro-4-3-body.html

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:53 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Sorry, I wasn't very specific, I was curious about "smart" adapters with electronic contacts. Don't see anything besides the Metabones, I have a "dumb" adapter if I want to use my lenses wide open.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:20 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

formula4speed wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't very specific, I was curious about "smart" adapters with electronic contacts. Don't see anything besides the Metabones, I have a "dumb" adapter if I want to use my lenses wide open.

At the moment for smart adapters and Canon lenses with M4/3, I think it is currently only Metabones and Kipon.

Metabones makes both focal reducer (Speed Booster) and non focal reducer adapters.

Kipon only makes a non focal reducer smart adapter.

There are far more smart adapters for Sony (I have four different ones) but the M4/3 adapters work better generally on more cameras at least for AF speed.

Both my Sony adapters and Kipon for M4/3 work great but the Kipon is much faster for AF.
Some of the Sony adapters do work as well it seems but only on one or two cameras like the A7Rii while the M4/3 adapters will have quite good AF with just about all M4/3 cameras or at least my older GX7 is compared to my (sold) A7 and current A7s.

Without firmware updates, as it was sold, the Kipon had/has lots of issues.
Weird distortion, battery drain, hit and miss AF accuracy and more.

After firmware updates it is MUCH better though still has some minor issues-

A) it drains the battery faster if left on all the time as it always seems to be focusing (just turn it off if not using the camera)

B) At least with my GX7, AFC is hopeless.

C) With Canon lenses that are not stabilized, IBIS doesn't work (IBIS works with other adapted lenses and IS works with stabilized Canon lenses). IBIS isn't all that good anyway in the GX7 though still useful and it doesn't work in video mode at all either so not much of a problem really.

Before the firmware updates, I think that there were more lenses that didn't work.

I only have one that doesn't work with the Kipon now and that is an ancient 28-90 from a EOS film camera (which does work on the Sony!).

The Metabones adapters were smart adapter without AF for a couple of years but things have changed rapidly in the last two years.

I would love an M4/3 adapter that allows AF with MF lenses like there is for E mount (with some cameras anyway).

Dec 14, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I've done a first quick test of the metabones Smart T v4 + EF-S 55-250 mk2 on my EM-1 mk2 (straight out of the box after battery charged) and to my surprise it had no problems working in either SAF or CAF, with rapid focus under very poor indoor light conditions (ISOI600 giving 1/8th sec)

Single point central focus, single shot and, by accident, electronic low speed shutter (15 fps? )

More testing needed obviously but first indications are good

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:59 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I updated my Kipon Pro Canon EF to M 4/3 adapter to the current firmware version, 2.6. It had been at 2.3.

I just started testing with my Canon lenses, mostly out the window or in my family room I set lamplight, with my Panasonic GX8 and GX85.

All of the Canon lenses that I have tested work like native lenses in AF-S (single AF) mode. The autofocus is fast and it locks on quickly, even in lower light. I am very impressed with the performance. The lens IS also seems to work quite well.

The autofocus tends to "chatter" a bit in AF-C (continuous) mode, so it isn't really useable in that mode.

+++

The lenses that I have tested are:

Canon 24 mm 2.8 STM
Canon 40 mm 2.8 STM
Canon 50 1.8 STM
Canon 55-250 STM

- these make a great, affordable set of basic lenses for M 4/3. I purchased all of mine on sale refurbished for somewhere near $100 each or less! The 55-250 was just a bit more.

The 55-250 in particular is a great lens on M 4/3! It is fast to focus, fast to zoom, sharp, and clear.

It is also smaller and lighter than my Panasonic 100-300. It feels like the better lens overall, although the extra 50 mm on the Panasonic makes it slightly more useful in some situations, for true wildlife work.

I also tested the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Canon 85 1.8, and Canon 70-200 4.0 IS. They all performed quite well, although they are a little larger and a little more expensive than the previous STM set.

I tested the 70-200 4.0 with both the Canon 1.4x III and 2x III extenders before I updated the firmware. I need to go back and retest with the newer firmware. The updated firmware has eliminated some missed focus and weird exposure issues that I was seeing previously, so I need to update my experience before I share more.

The adapters/ extenders **will not** work with the Canon 55-250 STM, because of the physical design of that lens (the rear element protrudes quite a bit. I assume this is also true of the pre-STM versions.)

+++

I am hoping to get out to do some real world wildlife testing in the next few days.

Then I have a major decision to make. I had decided to keep my Nikon D7200 & D5500 bodies instead of Canon for wildlife and most other uses, along with the Panasonic GX8. I had also planned to sell off some of the Canon lens kit, like the extenders & 70-200. The only Canon body I have right now is an SL1.

With the very clear synergy between Canon and M 4/3, I may need to relegate my Nikon kit to more of a "niche" role, at wider angle from 17-50, plus 70-200 with the Nikon 4.0. Then go back to a mostly Canon len kit, especially for wildlife at longer than 200 mm.

I will have to look at things like the Canon 300 4.0, 300 2.8, 400 5.6 or 400 4.0 DO, along with the Canon 1.4x and 2x adapters I already own. I was tired of owning both Nikon and Canon lenses that duplicated each other, so I was only going to keep the cheaper Canon STM lenses. Now I need to rethink that strategy, and only keep a handful of cheaper Nikon lenses instead. (Plus either the D5500 or D7200 body, which isn't a huge investment. I can't quite give up on Nikon either.)

Thanks folks. Keep sharing!

Dec 19, 2016 at 04:28 AM
DamC.Licks

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I have had quite a bit of experience with the EL 400/5.6 on my E-M1 (I) using the Metabones SmartAdapter. In a word, I LOVE it! The focus is very accurate, the IBIS is brilliant. * IQ wonderful, though it does have a tad more CA than I would like. I am longing for a Mark II... goes without saying.
Samples and tests here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N04/sets/

I have been testing the Canon 100-400 II and the Sigma 150-600 S against my 400/5.6 this last week or so, and I must say, the 100-400 II comes out the overall winner. The others have their strong points, but in terms of IQ, the Canon delivers the clearest and strongest images, AND, it takes the Extenders (1.4x and 2x III... WITH 37 AF points!) quite well. Naturally the P/L 100-400 would be a lot handier, but there are two things that hold me back; no 1.4x TC (you know what they say about never having enough reach ), and the fact that there seems to be quite a drop in IQ above 300mm where I would need it most. The MTF results speak volumes (http://www.lenstip.com/476.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Vario-Elmar_100-400_mm_f_4.0-6.3_ASPH._POWER_O.I.S._Image_resolution.html
and
http://www.lenstip.com/439.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF_100-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6L_IS_II_USM_Image_resolution.html)
and echo what I have seen from images and what I have read about the lens.
In terms or portability, focus speed etc... no question... brilliant lens. I just find the extra weight (at 73) still worth carrying.

* IBIS: No need to set anything, by the way. You can set whatever you want, but the camera will over ride the setting if it gets focal length info from the lens. I used to have to set it when I was using the 400/5.6 MF in the pre-Metabones days.

PS Sorry about the typo in my user name. At least I didn't hit both the m and the n
Trying to sort it out....

Dan

Dec 19, 2016 at 08:24 AM
DamC.Licks

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Had to give the 100-400 II back.
My overall impression is that it is better than both the Sigma and the 400 prime. Paired with a 1.4x Extender III it is sharper than the Sigma at 600(560)mm, and is sharp all the way to the edges of the frame where the Sigma is already getting softer toward the edges, and that on a 4/3 sensor. I figure the slow AF searching thing must either be a bug in the MB firmware or in the lens firmware that will get sorted out some time. So... I am already on the lookout for one. If used I will have to test it on the North Star first, if new, I will have to be able to give it back if it doesn't pass the star test. The North star test can tell you a LOT about a lens. This was done by my friend at the telescope shop:
http://interferometrie.blogspot.co.at/2016/07/canon-100-400mm-f45-56-l-is-usm-ii-tele.html
Anything new to report about the AF speed etc?

Dec 23, 2016 at 03:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password