New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Any guesses on if and how well that camera and lens will work with a Metabones adapter?

Why would I use that lens instead of the Panasonic/Leica 100-400?

How about because I already own the Canon zoom.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:51 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster wrote:
Any guesses on if and how well that camera and lens will work with a Metabones adapter?

Why would I use that lens instead of the Panasonic/Leica 100-400?

How about because I already own the Canon zoom.

Only a guess of course but I would think it would be a very nice combination.

AFC might be a bit behind a full native Canon combination but AFS should be excellent.

At least the MB adapter works well from what I have seen with the E-M1 first version (no personal experience). Even the cheaper Kipon AF adapter works just fine with Canon lenses on my older CDAF only Panasonic GX7 (AFS only).

I actually buy Canon lenses to adapt as I can use them on both my Sony and M4/3 camera as it saves buying more lenses than I can afford.

Just got the Canon 100 f2 EF and I love it on both an A7s and GX7.

If someone was ONLY going to use M4/3, then the native lens often makes more sense (not always though) but for a dual user, nothing wrong with adapting with the current state of smart adapters.

Some lenses are very nice used on different sensor sizes.

Favourites for me include the 40 2.8 STM, the 100 f2 USM and Sigma 150 2.8 APO.

The 135 f2 L was another I loved on both (since sold the lens).

Even the cheap and cheerful 18-55 IS ii kit lens seems nice on M4/3 and even has its use FF on my Sony.

That lens of yours should be a treat on M4/3.

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:06 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Thanks for your reply.

Should the E-M1 II work well enough with my Canon zoom, and I decide that the camera itself meets my needs, I would then sell my Canon zoom and get the P/L zoom.

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:38 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I have used my EM-1 with the EF400 f5.6L and 70-300LIS for several 10's of thousands of shots with excellent results, fast, accurate focus and it keeps that lovely canon L look in the files (using the smart T metabones)

I borrowed an EF100-400 mk2 and that behaved well too but was too heavy for my use, if anything the focus speed was even better

Despite that I sold my two L's (and my 7Dmk2) to get the 100-400PL and have kept the rest of the sale money back for the EM-1mk2

The IQ is a tad worse than the Ls but focus speed and sharpness / detail I would rate as better

Interesting times for this decision

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:26 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, I love my Canon gear, but over 75 and a bad back means going lighter. No other option.

Most of my stuff is just viewed on computer monitors and images from most Canon bodies I have used years ago were good enough IQ-wise.

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:29 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster wrote:
Thanks, Brian.

Yes, I love my Canon gear, but over 75 and a bad back means going lighter. No other option.

Most of my stuff is just viewed on computer monitors and images from most Canon bodies I have used years ago were good enough IQ-wise.

ditto, I'm also in the same age bracket which drove my decision toward m4/3rds. For >90% of my work (birding, nature, water and motorcycle sports etc) I'm very happy with the move

(I sell my images via local galleries and fairs to pay for this expensive hobby of ours and none of my customers have yet said "I'm not buying that because it was shot with an m4/3rds camera", its got me many awards in local and area comps too including a couple of Gold medals / trophies )

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:57 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Brian Wadie wrote:
(I sell my images via local galleries and fairs to pay for this expensive hobby of ours and none of my customers have yet said "I'm not buying that because it was shot with an m4/3rds camera", its got me many awards in local and area comps too including a couple of Gold medals / trophies )

Yes, when it comes to prints from DSLR's, pixel peepers worrying so much about IQ are a bit of a joke. I can make a 16x20 print from an old 5D and one from a 5DSR, and most of the public would not know the difference.

Many years ago, I made Cibachrome prints from my 35mm slides and sold them at fairs, etc. Some people would buy one and just as they were going to pay for it, they would say, "I really love this painting." When I would then say, "It is a photograph, not a painting.", they would change their mind and not buy it. Go figure.

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:25 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster wrote:
Yes, when it comes to prints from DSLR's, pixel peepers worrying so much about IQ are a bit of a joke. I can make a 16x20 print from an old 5D and one from a 5DSR, and most of the public would not know the difference.

Many years ago, I made Cibachrome prints from my 35mm slides and sold them at fairs, etc. Some people would buy one and just as they were going to pay for it, they would say, "I really love this painting." When I would then say, "It is a photograph, not a painting.", they would change
...Show more

yep, only too true. I have just completed three commissions from our last exhibition, a 20"x30" box canvas, 24"x18" framed print and a pair of 48" x12" framed panoramas (the last shot using my 60mm macro which was all I had on the camera at the time, took 7 stitched images in portrait mode for each half of the pair)

Very happy customers and a nice bit of money to go toward the EM-1 mk2

Its not what you use but how you use it!

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:44 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Imagemaster wrote:
Thanks, Brian.

I wore a backbrace at Conowingo this weekend. Under my fleece. Preventative measure a bit too late but now better than nothing.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:06 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Its not what you use but how you use it! = brilliantly stated.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I'm a little late to this party but having recently seen an ad for the EM-1 Mark II and reading about the high speed advance mode of 15 fps made me think of getting one of these new bodies and adapter to use with my Canon 500L... just the thought of getting the equivalent of a 1000mm f4 lens was more than I could bear ...unless of course, I'm misreading it...

I spend an inordinate amount of time at Conowingo, year-round I might add, and virtually everyone who shoots there is focal-length challenged at some point

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:19 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Was there this past weekend and 500mm + 1.4TCii was never close to enough. I too am waiting on the Oly M1ii, please let me know how it works. I tired of adapting EF lenses via MF to Sony, also currently waiting on EOS M5 and recently obtained 400/5.6 for it.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:26 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

This is my 14th year going there, and I'm typically there once a week. I typically shoot with a Canon 1DIV and my go-to combination is a 500mm + 1.4x...

You are clearly well-versed in Micro 4/3rds, and I am very much a newbie! Will I be able to retain AF and lens controls and who makes the best adapter?

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:43 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

If that was addressed to me Chris, I only have experience of the Metabones Smart T but have read positive reports from people using the Kipon adapter (although I believe it may be more prone to specific problems with lens / body combinations

I vaguely remember their being reports that the older EF-500 had some issues with the metabones, I'm trying to track it down for you

If it is compatible (which I suspect will be the case) then you will have full AF / aperture control.

(Thinking about it, I used the sigma 150-600 C with mine and it performed perfectly so I really can't see why the EF 500 + 1.4X TC shouldn't? But I will keep o looking for confirmation)

Dec 02, 2016 at 03:15 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Brian Wadie wrote:
If that was addressed to me Chris, I only have experience of the Metabones Smart T but have read positive reports from people using the Kipon adapter (although I believe it may be more prone to specific problems with lens / body combinations

I vaguely remember their being reports that the older EF-500 had some issues with the metabones, I'm trying to track it down for you

If it is compatible (which I suspect will be the case) then you will have full AF / aperture control.

(Thinking about it, I used the sigma 150-600 C with mine and it performed perfectly
...Show more

Hi Brian -

Thanks for the info about the Metabones adapter. Virtually everything I've read about them is that they do make the best-engineered adapter. And, the question was addressed to any one following this thread... My 500 is a newer Series II version, and like Tony (Imagemaster), I also use a 100-400 vII. Guess the first thing though is getting the Oly body...

Chris

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:14 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

what I can say is that the latest firmware downloads to both the EM-1 and the metabones combine to make focus speed and lock as good or better than that which I get with my old 4/3rds 50-200 ED, it really does feel as if I am using a native Olympus lens now (using my remaining canon lens, the ef-s 55-250 mk2)

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:33 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

To all reading this concerning the Oly M1ii and adapting EF lenses, we are talking about the Metabones T Smart Adapter EF-->mFT and NOT the Speedbooster, correct?

Dec 02, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

I was anyway and the oly EM-1 (can't comment on how it will work with the mk2 as its not out yet.)

My guess is that metabones will need to update the firmware for it to work with the EM-1 mk2 as there were all sorts of problems with the EM-1 until several firmware iterations were developed and improved

Dec 02, 2016 at 08:45 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Kinda same way with the Sonys. When first out problematic, but after each FW update better and better performance. But I've yet to see 'native' performance with any of my EF lenses + MB T iv and any of our Sonys (a6000, a6300, A7Rii). But the day I hear 'native' with the OMD M1 ii I'll order one.

Now what about the Speedbooster? If you used for example the EOS 500ISii + OMD M1ii via Metabones you have a yield of 1000mm; if you use the Speedbooster you loose a certain amount of FL (I don't remember how much??) but gain a stop of light, correct? And considering the sensor size of mFT that might be an interesting trade off depending on how much length you loose.
Thoughts?

Dec 03, 2016 at 03:43 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E-M1 Mk II + MB adapter + Canon 100-400 II

Will be interesting to see any comparisons between E-M1 Mark II with an adapter and Canon 100-400 II, and the P/L 100-400.

My guess is the P/L 100-400 would be as good or better for both AF & IQ. Just because I find it hard to believe that an adapter does not diminish the performance in any way.

Dec 03, 2016 at 02:37 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password