Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

ATPphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

Hi,
I'd like to see if the commentariat has anything to say about either of these cases.
I'm looking at larger rolling cases for lighting and grip gear, the total weight of my equipment would be around 70 pounds (31 kg).
I've narrowed it down to these cases, both with dividers:

Pelican 1615: [url]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244898-REG/pelican_016150_0040_110_1615_air_wheeled_carry_on.html[/url]
SKB 2918: [url]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076855-REG/skb_3i_2918_10bd_iseries_2918_10_waterproof_case.html[/url]

Putting aside price, both cases would work for me, they're both large enough; the SKB has the edge in overall interior size.
I like the SKB's wheels (two sets of rollerblade wheels), but I like the Pelican's lighter weight.
I prefer the Pelican's main dividers, they run north/south; this would work better for me than the SKB's east/west design because of the size of the main components (power pack, batteries and heads).

The Pelican appears to have those terrible hard plastic wheels, which pass a lot of vibration on to your gear.
I've replaced the wheels on my 1510 with rollerblade wheels, but it wasn't easy finding wheels of the right size & thickness.
And I think the 1510 is a very good, versatile case, it's markedly better once you swap out the wheels.

I've never seen an SKB case before and I'm unfamiliar with their quality, so any information about that would be appreciated.
If you own the 1615, I'd like to hear about the wheels, and how the new, lighter materials stack up against the old design.
Any user experience would be helpful, actually, so I look forward to any of your opinions on either or both cases.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:18 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

I dislike the Pelican cases due to their weight when empty. The SKB is in the same ballpark with an empty weight of more than 25 lbs. as compared to the average rolling case with a weight of less than 12 lbs. when empty.

Be aware that the Pelican Air cases are designed for light duty use. With 70 lbs. of gear and a total weight pushing 100 lbs. you will have problems using them for air travel and they are not going to hold up to the kind of abuse they will get from the airline baggage handlers.

Overall I prefer the Storm cases (company bought by Pelican) in terms of the latch design and they are lighter in weight than equivalent Pelican cases.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:48 PM
ATPphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

You make some good points, thanks; I looked at Storm cases but the B&H website listed them as heavier than SKB or Pelican.
For air travel, I plan on bringing only the power pack, one battery and one head; the extras can go in another case, or I can rent them on-site.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:00 AM
Norm Shapiro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

I also have both. I like the SKB latches better than Pelican. They are much easier to close. I agree with elkhornsun, 100 pounds is way too much to move around. I'd divide the gear up to several cases. I use an SKB MR case for bulky but not fragile gear, much lighter than I series that I use for cameras.

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:13 AM
ATPphoto

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

Thanks, Norm; appreciate the input.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Konablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

I have both a Pelican 1510 and an SKB case. I don't the know model number of the SKB but it looks very similar to the one in your link. The SKB seems to be just as well built as the Pelican line and both are very rugged. I agree with you on the Pelican wheels. The SKB wheels are a little better but I think both would benefit with the roller skate wheel upgrade. By the way, can you tell us what wheels you bought for that upgrade?

I bought SKB because I needed more storage space. A couple of things I don't like about the SKB is that the pull out handle is very cumbersome to lock/unlock and requires two hands. The Pelican's handle unlocks with a simple button on the top and to close it, I can just press the button with one finger, give the handle a little push and it locks itself closed.

The other main difference is the SKB has three handles which for me is one too many. It tends to get in the way (on the bottom) when standing the case on it's end or I sometimes grab the wrong handle. For these reasons I mainly use the SKB for storage and the Pelican when I go somewhere.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:09 PM
ATPphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

Thanks, Konablue. Good to know some basic differences between the two brands.
Here's where I found details for the wheel mod: http://www.davidfearn.com/blog/2013/2/peli-case-1510-wheel-mod
One thing to be careful of is the width of the replacement wheel with bearing installed. It's a good idea to remove a Pelican wheel and measure its width before ordering the rollerblade replacement. Don't ask how I know.

Back to cases: I can fit a minimal light kit in my 1510: 7b pack and one head, with a little room left for flash triggers and such, so I've shifted my focus toward a case for storage, with occasional travel, and it looks like either case would work in that regard, with the Pelican having a slight edge should I want to check it in for flight, due to its slightly smaller size.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

I have many pelican cases and consider the skb to be in line with them. I only own one skb case it the hard golf case that I store and transport light stands and modifiers in or guns in padded cases. I almost bought an skb gun case but couldn't afford it at the time now i like the pelican better. I think both will serve you well. Correction the last hard case I bought was a skb istorm equivalent of the 1650 iirc. It is equal to my pelican 1650.

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:40 PM
ATPphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pelican vs SKB; opinions?

Thank you for the input, Michael.
I haven't decided which case to get yet, but being able to store the Pro 7b pack and one head in my 1510 solves a few problems, and allows me to consider a smaller case for the rest of the PF kit.

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password