New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Waist of time

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waist of time

I had commented to my wife that I really disliked the foamy pool of water in these shots but that I liked the images overall.

So she then told me "they are a waist of my time".

I only took one long exposure with my 10 stop ND and that did help to swirl the foam but it came out way under exposed.

I have processed them as best I can, but now I'm not even sure if I should bother with these.
It's amazing how a simple comment like that can take the wind out of your sails.

So I come to my photog friends here to ask...
Are these a waist of time or do they still work?
If they are ok, which composition do you prefer and what improvements do you see that could make them better.

All of these shots consist of 3 bracketed shots and 4 sets stitched together. All of which was done inside LR6.

I left the second to last image un-cropped for you to see because I just can't figure out the best crop for that one based on the others I already have. I'm thinking that I should just delete that set.
Any suggestions?

Dave

Pano 1

Pano 2

Pano 3

Un-cropped pano 4

Long exposure swirl

Oct 30, 2016 at 01:41 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waist of time

Hey Dave, your not going to like this, but I think these are much better images than your "Autum Cascade" with over 800 views . If they were mine I would keep them.

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:56 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waist of time

Not a waste of time at all. Phosphates, the bane of water quality and producer of foam.

The last hides it best but I kind of prefer the top crop. Can you crop that way with the slow shutter?

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:52 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waist of time

DaleBerlin wrote:
Hey Dave, your not going to like this, but I think these are much better images than your "Autum Cascade" with over 800 views . If they were mine I would keep them.

Thanks Dale and I don't mind at all. The sun star post "Autumn Cascade" was only the first images I processed from this outing and was unique due to the sun star. However, I knew, or at least I hoped, that these compositions would be much better. These are what I actually went for that day. The sun star image was just wetting my taste buds.

Good to hear the foam doesn't kill these.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Not a waste of time at all. Phosphates, the bane of water quality and producer of foam.

The last hides it best but I kind of prefer the top crop. Can you crop that way with the slow shutter?

Thanks Ben! I'm really torn on which crop I like best of the pano's. I kinda like #2 pano for the boulder but it's an ugly boulder compared to yours you have out there.

Unfortunately the long exposure shot is a single frame and not a pano. That's all I got max with that one after a slight ration correction.

I went out shooting again this morning and got a few nice ones me thinks. Your ears must have been ringing while I was shooting a couple of them. I kept thinking of all your alpenglow shots and said "Ben's gonna like one of these".

Dave

Oct 30, 2016 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waist of time

Playing with colors, tones and compos
Socrate

Oct 30, 2016 at 09:13 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waist of time

Hahaha! Just colors, tones and comp huh.

Socrate! I really hate you man.

How in the heck did you do that?

I take it your choice is also #1 being that you made your magic happen on that image?

Am I crazy or am I seeing your edits cooler? Did I warm them to much?

I definitely want to go with a horizontal like your first edit. But wow, you gotta tell me how to make the swirl. Probably beyond my pp skills but I'd still like to know.

Can I just take photo's and send them to you to make them look the way I only dream of?

Very nice job on those edit Socrate!

Dave

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Waist of time

Dave here is a screen shot of my editing. I used layers in PS.
I opened you first image and added your last image as a layer after reducing its physical size to (more or less) the same size of the first one. I aligned the two water fall and added a Black mask to the layer to make it invisible. With a white brush I revealed (made visible) only the foamy bottom of the waterfall right on top of the waterfall bottom of the first image that became what you see, after playing with some adjustments including some filters of Nick collection tool (Color effects). In particular I boosted the green of the greenery (that is why it looks less warm) and added some warm glow. A bit of dodging and contrast and I was done. Very easily done.
It is practically your first image with the foamy waterfall bottom of your last one plus some boost of colors and contrast.
You can also use a clone tool instead of using the layers and clone the foamy bottom on top of the non-foamy one.
I like them both, but the first one has a more serene feel.
Yours are not too much warmed. The greens are a bit warm if you like them that way. I took some warm out of the greens to make the image more colorful. However my warm tones are probably warmer than yours.
Socrate

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:25 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Waist of time

Thank you Socrate for that detailed explanation.
My goal this winter is to finally cave and start renting PS and to force myself to learn it. At least learn how to skilfully do layer masks. I think this will be a good one to start with and learn. I do have PSE so maybe I'll give it a try in there. Most likely I'll take the easier way out and try using the clone trick you mentioned.

Dave

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password