Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · PC vs Mac (really?)

Sun workstation

Nov 07, 2016 at 06:30 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · PC vs Mac (really?)

A friend of mine posted this today on her page (she is a long-time Mac lover and runs a computer repair/build shop in an affluent town nearby).

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/new-macbook-pros-mark-the-end-of-upgradeable-apple-computers?utm_source=mbfb

Nov 07, 2016 at 08:04 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · PC vs Mac (really?)

FrancisK7 wrote:
That might have been true with Windows Vista. Not anymore. OS X is not going to solve all your problems either. The other day Internet stopped working on my MBP. Did the usual troubleshooting, until I realized something or someone had cleared the DNS from network settings. It wasn't the OS that told me that, it was myself.

If you are not technically savvy at all, then by all means go with Apple, it's true it's very user friendly.

If you care about ultimate performance, or customization, or gaming, or all three, you don't have have a choice and have to go
...Show more

Yeah, this. I switched to a Macbook Pro about a year and a half ago, simply because it was the best all-around laptop I could buy. But I don't get the love for OSX at all. It has just as many dumb quirks and annoyances as windows. Most of the complaints I read about windows haven't been true for awhile now.

Nov 07, 2016 at 10:56 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · PC vs Mac (really?)

Mark_L wrote:
Hardware specs are not great for the price. Remember the important stuff inside is the same stuff that goes into a PC, there is nothing special.

Yes but the OS is the issue. You cannot port software for a Mac that doesn't work perfectly with a Mac until Apple says it does.. Any Tom Dick and Harry can write anything for a PC and rarely does it work in every respect, because there is no gatekeeper.

While I will grant that Windows has improve greatly in the past few years, there are concessions the software makes to PC conventions that leave MAC users shaking their head. I use PC's at work and MAC's at home for nearly twenty years. I still shake my head every day with PC software idiosyncrasies. All our MAC users constantly exclaim, You can't be serious." at the work arounds and extra steps required to perform what is a simple task on a MAC.

Word and Excel have been getting worse with every iteration on both platforms.

BTW I just sold a 2010 Macbook Pro for C$700 while my three year old Lenovo PC laptop with similar specs was junked by our IT department. Why, because the MAC still runs all the upgrades to all its software and the three year old PC can't and was considered a security risk.

Nov 08, 2016 at 12:33 AM
form
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · PC vs Mac (really?)

Well I know the specs are not good price/performance-wise, but that's been a Mac theme since...15-20 years ago? The top-level systems usually even things out vs. PC, though not at the end of the product cycle. The current Mac Pro is what, 3 years old?

I was just asking if there was some functional defect/major mechanical/electrical/etc. issue with the Mac Pro.

Nov 08, 2016 at 10:38 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · PC vs Mac (really?)

the important stuff inside a Mac is the same stuff that goes into a high-end, or quality custom spec. PC

the components are not identical with the 'stuff' in a budget or even a mid-range PC

I used PCs for decades before giving up on them.

Nov 08, 2016 at 07:02 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.