New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 90mm suggestions

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 90mm suggestions

Hey girls I picked up a Leica m3 with a Zeiss 50mm f2 zm which I am in love with. I'm looking to grab a 85-90mm length portrait lens since the distortion of the Zeiss lens is very noticeable for up close portraits. Can I get some reccomendations? My price range is 500 but will shell out a little more if it's worth it. I use Leica for personal stuff so I'm not trying to break the bank to much.

I know Leica and cheap never is in the same sentence but a little suggestions is much appreciated. And there's so many versions and types of Leica lenses I don't know where to start.

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:11 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 90mm suggestions

The M-Hexanon 90/2.8 is excellent and you shouldn't have any difficulty finding one for 500 or less. According to this photo.net thread, it works well on the M3. And Dante Stella certainly likes it.

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:36 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 90mm suggestions

That's a great suggestion. There are lots of good cheapish 85/90s, but good calibration is not a given. I had to return a Hex-90 for that reason. But the Hex has a great form factor and draws very well. For portraits, the CV 75/1.8 is cheap and very good. The Canon 85s are all excellent and most are cheap. The Nikkor 85/2 in LTM would be fantastic. The little TE90 thin is not expensive, 90/2.8. The Summarit 90 is excellent and you see them around 700 used sometimes. Elmarit 90 is great but on the big side.

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:10 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 90mm suggestions

I would recommend the Leica M 90 cron Pre-AA. It is a bit more, but I think it is worth it. It is a very nice portrait lens.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 90mm suggestions

Leica Elmarit 90/2.8. You can get older versions (especially version I) for good prices in the used market. I got mine for less than $300, and it works excellent both for film and digital. It is pretty much a 9 cm long tube, but it isn't heavy either. Fits nicely in every camera bag. Very nice metal aperture blade system, too!

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Deep
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 90mm suggestions

Three Bokinas!

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:46 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 90mm suggestions

Steve Spencer wrote:
I would recommend the Leica M 90 cron Pre-AA. It is a bit more, but I think it is worth it. It is a very nice portrait lens.

are you talking about the summicron f2 90mm for about $750?

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:57 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 90mm suggestions

Alexluu627 wrote:
are you talking about the summicron f2 90mm for about $750?

yes

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 90mm suggestions

The 90AA I have is sublime, but devastatingly expensive.
The 90 pre-AA is much more palatable price wise, though not quite as good as the AA, it's still very nice.
The TE90 "Fat" that I have is nice, but soft WO.
CV90 APO would be a nice option.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:36 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 90mm suggestions

I love the Summicron-M 90 pre-AA (last version with the built-in hood) for portraits. Outside of that use, it's not spectacular.

The latest version Elmarit-M is a great all-arounder. Wide open, it's got enough of the Summicron's flaws to make a good portrait, but it's already better in the corners and edges at that aperture. Stopped down to f/5.6, it's very usable for landscapes. Like most of the short M teles, vignetting is its worst sin, and it never completely goes away.

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password