A little team handball

RubenL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A little team handball

Just some pictures from the last game i want to share with you all
Feedback, always welcome.

Ruben Lamers

Canon EOS-1D X    EF135mm f/2L USM lens    135mm    f/2.0    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ruben Lamers

Canon EOS-1D X    EF200mm f/2L IS USM lens    200mm    f/2.0    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ruben Lamers

Canon EOS-1D X    EF200mm f/2L IS USM lens    200mm    f/2.0    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ruben Lamers

Canon EOS-1D X    EF135mm f/2L USM lens    135mm    f/2.0    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ruben Lamers

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:46 PM
ghostwind

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A little team handball

I like them overall, but a bit too tight given the chopped off body parts of goalie and defenders. I would prefer to see more of the goalie for example - a looser composition. The last one is missing the goalie completely (or a defender). I think the expressions are good, which is key, but would love to see 2 whole bodies if possible, including goalie.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A little team handball

I'll take the other side and say that I think the cropping on these is terrific -- tight, isolating, allowing the expression to be part of the action itself. I don't need to see two whole bodies to know what is going on here. I've had to change my style a bit in the last few years knowing that 85% of people who view my work do so on mobile devices. I hate it -- but that's the world we live in. This type of tight action works particularly well in that format.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:54 PM
RubenL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A little team handball

Thanks for the comment Ghostwind, I got 2 years ago the comment that i had to crop tighter and focus on the body of the player that was shooting, not the goalie, because the goalie is standing is standing like 4 meters closer to me, and that will make the player with the ball very small, i still do it, but, like you can see here, it's true that it's less impressive

yea, the background is not nice in this shot :P

Ruben Lamers

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A little team handball

This are very, very good. I liked them all.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM
ghostwind

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A little team handball

RubenL wrote:
Thanks for the comment Ghostwind, I got 2 years ago the comment that i had to crop tighter and focus on the body of the player that was shooting, not the goalie, because the goalie is standing is standing like 4 meters closer to me, and that will make the player with the ball very small, i still do it, but, like you can see here, it's true that it's less impressive

yea, the background is not nice in this shot :P

Yeah, I think they are good, but for me, I think (looking again) that the goalie is taking so much space in the frame (because it's so tight either a shot or crop), yet is out of focus and cut off as well. So it sorts of distracts the composition for me at least. I don't know the sport, so maybe there are limits you have to work with (what sports doesn't!). But the goalie doesn't have to be in there at all - but at least a defender or two. Just my opinion. Or if not, then just the one player isolated by herself.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:44 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A little team handball

PureMichigan wrote:
I'll take the other side and say that I think the cropping on these is terrific -- tight, isolating, allowing the expression to be part of the action itself. I don't need to see two whole bodies to know what is going on here. I've had to change my style a bit in the last few years knowing that 85% of people who view my work do so on mobile devices. I hate it -- but that's the world we live in. This type of tight action works particularly well in that format.

I'll take a third position and say you should crop tighter, much tighter in some instances. You have too much dead space that dilutes the drama. You don't need a defender at all in some of these--the viewer will know they are there without having to show them.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A little team handball

Except for the first shot, I see an elevated shooter captured at all sorts of angles that convey energy, action. Very dynamic. The other players are sort of incidental to the scene as the composition is arranged around the shooter. The other players contribute to the shots in some ways. The one sticking her finger in the jersey. The other's shin in the way of the shooter's foot. The players on the right in #3 are really just part of the negative space that helps to put the shooter at an extreme location in the frame. So, I say cropped perfectly. Except for the last which highlights Ruben's point.

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password