New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Big Bend National Park

Tsmith318
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Bend National Park

Hey everybody,

Just looking for any general photo advice for Big Bend National Park. My girlfriend and I will be heading there for about 5 days in the 2nd week of November. We will split our time between camping in the park and staying in Terlingua. I've done some reading online and read through the Big Bend section in Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres. I was just looking for any other information/tips on photography in big bend!

Thanks,
Tyler

Oct 29, 2016 at 03:15 PM
Chuck D
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Bend National Park

If you like star shots or star trails, Big Bend is a great dark sky site. You'll miss the Milky Way season however. Be sure and enjoy the unique ambiance of False Kiva and the Starlight in Terlingua. You have a lot of great locations from the book.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:17 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Bend National Park

You'll need both wide angle for desert/canyon scenery and a tele for wildlife. My best advice: Don't take your gear on a canoe trip on the Rio Grand.

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:51 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Bend National Park

Curious...why shouldn't he take his gear on a canoe trip on the Rio Grande?

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Steve Bingham
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Bend National Park

Banditos

Nov 06, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Bend National Park

Steve Bingham wrote:
Banditos

Ha!

Nov 06, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big Bend National Park

I've canoed the Rio Grande through Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend and about 10 miles up river upstream of the canyon. There were many wonderful people along the way on the Mexican side. And yes, I took my camera gear. I kept it in a dry bag.

Santa Elena Canyon is incredibly beautiful with towering walls and areas with ferns and other greenery. I look forward to returning to Big Bend someday to canoe Boquillas Canyon.

Nov 07, 2016 at 12:04 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big Bend National Park

It's a stunning place and the most isolated of all the US National Parks. Any of the restaurants are worth eating at in Terlingua and the National Park restaurant has a great view. Should you decide to drive west of Terlingua do not do it at sunset as you will be driving directly into the sun and will not be able to see. The park is great for birding and landscape photography. Have a wonderful time.

Morris

Nov 08, 2016 at 08:06 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big Bend National Park

Adam Schallau wrote:
I've canoed the Rio Grande through Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend and about 10 miles up river upstream of the canyon. There were many wonderful people along the way on the Mexican side. And yes, I took my camera gear. I kept it in a dry bag.

Santa Elena Canyon is incredibly beautiful with towering walls and areas with ferns and other greenery. I look forward to returning to Big Bend someday to canoe Boquillas Canyon.

I canoed the canyon as well and it was spectacular canoeing between the US and Mexico and sleeping under the stars on the two day trip. I took my 9 year old son (who is now 27) and we overturned once and we talk about it still with fondness. I highly recommend the trip and I would be more concerned about keeping the camera dry than banditos. Well worth doing but a dry bag is a must.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:32 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big Bend National Park

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:10 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big Bend National Park

I am following this, with interest. Please post a trip report.

One thing I have wanted to know: Do these float trips involve intentionally landing on the Mexico side?

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big Bend National Park

dmcphoto wrote:
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

Links at FM are clickable if you take out the "s" in "https" thusly:
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

Thanks,

Dan

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big Bend National Park

Adam Schallau wrote:
Curious...why shouldn't he take his gear on a canoe trip on the Rio Grande?

My experience wasn't good when my canoe tipped in some rapids.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Big Bend National Park

RexGig0 wrote:

One thing I have wanted to know: Do these float trips involve intentionally landing on the Mexico side?

Although my visit was a long time ago, we went parrellel to a raft float, and we were in a canoe. And the only time we went on the Mexican side was when we were deep in the canyon (over turned and repositioning ), where no one would care if we set foot on the south bank. When we stopped for lunch and camping we were on the US side. Scrambling though the big rock deep in the canyon obstructing the river in the canyon happened on the south side though because it had to as we roped our canoe through.

The first day is a lazy float with Mexican farm land to the south and cliff to the north. The 2nd day is all canyon with some modestly challenging fast water.It was very challenging for me though because my 9 year old son was not overly good at drawing the front in fast water.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:36 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Big Bend National Park

Scott Stoness wrote:
Although my visit was a long time ago, we went parrellel to a raft float, and we were in a canoe. And the only time we went on the Mexican side was when we were deep in the canyon (over turned and repositioning ), where no one would care if we set foot on the south bank. When we stopped for lunch and camping we were on the US side. Scrambling though the big rock deep in the canyon obstructing the river in the canyon happened on the south side though because it had to as we roped
...Show more

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2016 at 09:34 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Big Bend National Park

stanparker wrote:
My experience wasn't good when my canoe tipped in some rapids.

I'm sorry to hear that.

We had our canoe swamped once during our Rio Grande trip in Big Bend. My camera gear was in a dry bag and was just fine. I have a good friend who is a Grand Canyon river guide with over 500 trips to his credit, and he's a National Geographic published photographer with several stories to his credit. He lost equipment last year when water found its way into a Pelican case. It can happen and its best to prepare for the worst.

I've done two raft trips in the Grand Canyon, including an 18-day 225-mile expedition style trip, and I haven't lost any gear to water...yet. I'm leading the photography side on another 18-day trip next year and I know that water damage is the number one concern amongst my participants. We have been suggesting that photo gear be stored in drybags and also in Ziplock bags. I bring lots of Ziplock bags and replace them every few days.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Big Bend National Park

RexGig0 wrote:

We spent three nights canoeing from Lajitas to the takeout at the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon. Our first two nights we camped on the U.S. side, or 'river left.' Our last night we camped on the Mexican side of the river, or 'river right.' We made several stops on both sides of the river, and on our last day we did a short side hike up into Fern Canyon and up through the feature known as the 'Birth Canal.' It seemed pretty normal to camp and hike on river left, but our trip was in 2008, so it's been sometime since and things may have changed.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM
Steve Bingham
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Big Bend National Park

Well, machete through the camper door. Another time $600 taken. Another time almost lost a $50,000 new Tahoe. Long story. I don't do Mexico wilderness anymore. My suggestion? Stay on the American side. Many years ago. Maybe things have changed. Maybe not. Just be careful.

Nov 19, 2016 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.