New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies
Osprey01
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I've heard bad things about strange flare and chromatic aberration with the Panasonic wide lens on Olympus bodies? Anyone have experience, are there big problems?

Oct 29, 2016 at 08:34 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I used one on an E-M1 about 3 years ago and found consistent results to what was reported. It wasn't on 100% of the shots but showed up if I wasn't careful of the scene. Since then I tried out the 7-14 2.8 and greatly enjoyed it but as I'm not a big UWA shooter I passed on buying it. If the E-M1 II is all it's cracked up to be then I could see buying it at some point in the future.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

In general Panasonic bodies cut off a bit more of the near UV spectrum than Olympus bodies. Olympus designs their lenses and bodies accounting for their wider UV acceptance while Panasonic designs to their narrower cut off filter stack. The result is that in some cases a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body can result in more "purple fringe" or even purple flare and reflections not seen when shot on an Olympus body.

The 7-14/4 is one of the lenses that does this, specifically the purple flare on Olympus bodies. How frequently it is a problem depends on what you shoot. I shoot landscapes and very rarely see it as I usually don't have the sun in the frame. It is a real annoyance to architecture and night cityscape photographers though since there very frequently are bright lights or windows in the frame that can result in ugly purple flare or reflections. The lens still would show some flare on a Panasonic body but it would be white and not as bright making it less obvious and objectionable.

There is a work around, though a bit of a hassle. You can swap out the plastic back of the lens with the one from the Panasonic 8.5 fisheye so that you can mount a gel filter there. The appropriate UV cut filter will eliminate the effect on Olympus bodies by cutting out UV in a way similar to the filter stack in Panasonic bodies.

There are a few other Panasonic lenses that have a similar issue but it is much more mild. The 7-14/4 is the one it is most obvious on when shooting on Olympus bodies. Search for a thread by AndersW over on DPR for many examples and gory details of the issue on the 7-14/4.

Oct 30, 2016 at 01:40 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I love the Pany 7-14 and use it on my EM1 a lot! Can I shoot directly into the sun with it? Well I don't (hardly ever) but I also don't with my 12-40 either. I have figured out a way and it wasn't too difficult. So nowadays it isn't an issue "for me". I use it freely with or without clouds.

Start here, lots of shots from my 7-14 f4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/26777114664/in/datetaken/

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:07 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I love 7-14/4 too. My solution is to have it mounted to a panasonic camera ( I have both GX7 and EM1). One can buy GX7 used for $300 these days, just mount it to 7-14 and use it with that lens.

Nov 07, 2016 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drofnad
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

absolutic wrote:
I love 7-14/4 too. My solution is to have it mounted to a panasonic camera ( I have both GX7 and EM1). One can buy GX7 used for $300 these days, just mount it to 7-14 and use it with that lens.

+1 (but "... and E-M5" for me). And, goodness, isn't the GX7 a LOT for that price!! --luv the feel.
I recall Richard Weisgrau remarking that he found the flare to be too often an issue on inside architecture shots (where often one has to deal with brightness from outside) using a GX7 and opted to go w/Oly 9-18, though otherwise he liked the lens. So, weigh your uses against any risks. ("Flare? --not a problem, it's a *feature*!")
The lens is way smaller than the Oly 7-14, and lighter on the wallet, too!

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:23 PM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I have owned the Panasonic 7-14 since it came out and shot with it on multiple Panasonic and now Olympus bodies. As a landscape shooter, I ran into the purple flair issue only a couple times and solved it with the modification mentioned by kwash and a gel filter. No issues at all for me now.

When the Olympus 7-14 came out, I got a copy due to the promise of even better optical quality and the focus clutch which I really like. I did a head to head test of my copies of the two lenses, and rapidly concluded that the Panasonic was much better in the corner. That surprised me as the Olympus had tested quite well. But, I ended up returning the Olympus and keeping the Panasonic.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I had the Panasonic 7-14. LOVED the size and sharpness of that lens. The purple blobs did bother me although you can minimize the effect somewhat when you shoot with the sun in the frame - that's the beauty of EVF as WYSIWYG. I sold the Panasonic to get the Olympus version as soon as it came out. Although the Olympus is also a very nice lens, and the extra stop is great, I did regret my decision to "trade up" to the Olympus. I have been thinking about returning to the Panasonic version - mostly because of the size but also because it's a truly good lens in spite of the purple blobs/flare that you may get when you are shooting towards the sun. The size and weight of the Olympus lens bothers me quite a lot. Sure, it's significantly smaller and lighter than the FF Nikon equivalent but compared to the Panasonic it's still a very big and heavy lens ... not to mention expensive.

Dec 23, 2016 at 05:13 PM
nauticaljack

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

I shoot with the Panasonic 7-14mm on an Em-5ii. I love the lens and how small it is, and I get a lot of keepers out of it, but I do run into lens flare issues relatively frequently. So far I've just been dealing with it via frequency separation in post -- it's effective, but an annoyance for sure.

Dec 23, 2016 at 07:20 PM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panasonic 7-14mm, F4.0 on Olympus Bodies

This is the solution to the purple flair. It works. Get the rear filter holder for the Panasonic 8mm and it is a simple part to replace.

Panasonic 8mm rear filter holder on Panasonic 7-14mm

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password