p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

© DocsPics 2016

© DocsPics 2016

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

I really like the ones with the road included. Number's 1 & 3. Felt like I was being pulled me into it!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:14 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

sweet
an excellent storm happening right now also and i and everywhere around me for a few hundred miles is clouded in

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM
ariot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Great stuff. I've never shot this, but do you use some kind of filter?

If so, I assume you need one of the larger filter rigs on the 14-24.

Oct 29, 2016 at 07:53 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

No filters. However plenty of hot coffee and good quality gloves (to take off...then on...then off...then on...)

This is dynamic shooting. One is constantly adjusting for exposure. You want as fast a shutter speed as possible while capturing enough of the light. The aurora was so good that night, that several shots were blown out. That had not happened to me before. I tend to under-expose to maximize shutter speed in order to preserve structure in the lights. The D810 is well suited for that in my opinion. Anytime you can get the goods at 8 seconds or faster....is a good night.

There is almost no saturation adjustment in post. That is the way the lights look with the long exposures. Some cropping, shadow adjustments, noise reduction and sometimes adding a bit of contrast...that's it.

BTW - It was 4 am and 4F/-15C when these were shot. (The price of admission).

Oct 29, 2016 at 08:34 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Beautiful, really like how the stars are in these shots.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM
Rob UK
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

DocsPics wrote:
No filters. However plenty of hot coffee and good quality gloves (to take off...then on...then off...then on...)

This is dynamic shooting. One is constantly adjusting for exposure. You want as fast a shutter speed as possible while capturing enough of the light. The aurora was so good that night, that several shots were blown out. That had not happened to me before. I tend to under-expose to maximize shutter speed in order to preserve structure in the lights. The D810 is well suited for that in my opinion. Anytime you can get the goods at 8 seconds or faster....is a good
...Show more

Thanks for sharing these, they are wonderful images. To witness the northern lights is something I'd really like to do.

May I ask where these were taken?

Thanks

R

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Rob, Thank you for your comments. These were shot about two weeks ago outside of Eagle River, Alaska (which is about 10 miles North of Anchorage). If one is planning a trip somewhere to take NL pictures, there is a measure of luck in the timing. The three critical elements have to come together: Active borealis, clear skies, and no or little moon to spoil the dark. Living here, I get to wait on the confluence of those.

Met a young couple on an airplane last year who were coming to Fairbanks, AK (a Northern Lights viewing top destination). They were coming from far away and lower latitudes, spending lots of money in hopes of taking in this really wonderful and unique visual experience. Problem was, it was June (Whoops.....)

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:08 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Very nice!

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:57 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Great shots. Wish I could have been there to see them.
I only saw the northern lights once in my life and that was camping in the Adirondacks NY 25 years ago. All I had was my OM1, no shutter release or tripod. I managed to get a few shots using a band-aid to hold open the shutter while covering and uncovering the lens manually to expose. Next day we drove 2 hours round trip to the nearest camera store to get a shutter release for the next night but have not seen them since.

Oct 29, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Jeff Rogers
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikkor 14-24/2.8 Does the Northern Lights

Great work! I also used my 14-24 2.8 to capture the Northern Lights in Iceland. It was the perfect lens and I was really happy with the results too.

Nov 01, 2016 at 09:59 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.