New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Which RRS tripod for x-t2

danderso

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I'm currently using a Gitzo GT1545T tripod with a RRS BH-30 head. I'm looking to get something a bit more substantial for longer exposures and in windy conditions. I was considering a RRS 2-series tripod and the RRS BH-40 head. Would that be large enough to handle something like the x-t2 with a 100-400 lens (I don't own the lens yet, but probably the longest lens I'd consider)? Or would I better off spending a bit more and getting the 3-series tripod and a bh-55 head? Would appreciate any advice/experiences people have to share.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:14 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I think the Series 2 would be a great tripod for long exposures. Though the Fuji equipment is light, with long exposures you do want something with heft. That can even handle weight bags for the harder wings. I think the BH-40 is plenty, it's what I use on a smaller tripod than series 2 and handles XT-1 and 100-400m with no problems. But I've seen some BH-55's on the B&S board for about the same price.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:32 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I had two BH-55s used with Nikon long lenses. These are a bit of overkill for XT-2 and any lens. I'm one of the people who sold a BH-55 on the B/S. I'm keeping one but would buy the 40 if I didn't have a BH, which can handle an XT-2 with a 100-400 attached.

I would go for the lightest tripod that you can hang a 5-10 lb bag of sand--like the Gitzo you already have. But, then, I don't know how that would perform in very high winds. For that matter, I don't know how I would perform in very high wind.

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:41 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

astrophotography?

or what?

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:11 PM
danderso

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

Yeah, I was thinking things like milky way, long night city exposures. Exposures on the order of 30-60 seconds.

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I'd get a Berlebach wood tripod. They seem to dampen vibrations well compared to carbon fiber, but suggest at least two girlfriends - to carry it.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:15 AM
EAvila

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I have a 1 series gitzo with a bh-25. When I need the smallest/lightest package, that is what I use.

I also have a tqc-14 with a bh-30 and another with the small gimbal head. I have a Tvc-24 with a bh-40, and a tvc-33 with a bh-55. I believe the ideal combination for the x-t2/100-400 is the 24/bh-40.

Obviously if you need something lighter or heavier or taller there are options available, but IMHO the general purpose sweet spot for the x-t2 is the 2x/40. It's small enough to travel with, light enough to carry anywhere, and yet tall and strong enough for anything you might need.

The TQC-14 will do the same job, and is a bit smaller/lighter if that's important. So if space and weight is a premium, go for the 14 vs the 24.

I would personally hang some weight on whatever you choose for your 30-60 second exposures, as that weight is what's going to provide your mass to resist movement.

Of course there are also several other brands that cost a lot less. They may not be as nice, but they will get the job done.

If you need specifics on any particular combination, let me know as I obviously have a serious case of GAS.

Oct 31, 2016 at 02:11 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

Pavel wrote:
I'd get a Berlebach wood tripod. They seem to dampen vibrations well compared to carbon fiber, but suggest at least two girlfriends - to carry it.

Oct 31, 2016 at 05:07 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

I have a number of gitzo tripods, and I always keep to smallest/lightest package too. The weight ballast is the best solution, as you can carry a net, which you can then place a number rocks, etc to give the stability you need when you are on site.

Oct 31, 2016 at 05:10 AM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which RRS tripod for x-t2

The "weight ballast" (see Charles' note above) lowers the center of gravity at just the right spot. I look for a "wide spread" of the feet of a tripod as being more critical than the total weight of the tripod. I find a wide spread, light weight tripod with a weight ballast is always superior to a heavy weight, not-so-wide tripod.

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password