FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · Going to a wedding as a guest

insaneshams

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going to a wedding as a guest

I'm definitely going to stay out of everyone's way but I'm just wondering if there is any special etiquette about this. I wouldn't want to be in the way or offend the professional by accident.

I just recently took if photography as a hobby and wondering if it's acceptable etiquette to bring my own gear to the wedding. I have a d750 with 24-70 and 70-200, as it is rather large and obtrusive, I'm wondering if it's going to be in the way or annoy anyone.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:30 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Search "uncle bob" on this forum for everything you should never do

Don't get in their way, shoot over their shoulder or distract people they're trying to photograph. Def do no not go into the aisle to take pictures which blocks their shot at key moments! Ffs don't go and talk gear with them either.

Alternately you could just leave your camera at home and enjoy the wedding. The couple have paid a pro to take pictures already!

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:36 PM
insaneshams

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Thanks, I'm definitely taking pictures for my own enjoyment and to improve my skills. Not going to be in anyone's way, but perhaps I'll take your last advice and just enjoy the wedding

Mark_L wrote:
Search "uncle bob" on this forum for everything you should never do

Don't get in their way, shoot over their shoulder or distract people they're trying to photograph. Def do no not go into the aisle to take pictures which blocks their shot at key moments! Ffs don't go and talk gear with them either.

Alternately you could just leave your camera at home and enjoy the wedding. The couple have paid a pro to take pictures already!

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:05 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going to a wedding as a guest

insaneshams wrote:
....but perhaps I'll take your last advice and just enjoy the wedding

I highly, strongly, emphatically recommend that ^

God forgive me, I knew not what I did - but once upon a time I, in my ignorance, took photos at a friend's wedding and reception. I wasn't at all Uncle Bob and respected all appropriate boundaries, but I still brought a friggin camera bag and walked around with a DSLR and big lens.

Even with best etiquette, it's just cheesy. People don't know which camera to look at, the actual photographer is distracted by you because you could be a train wreck about to happen... and... you just look stupid. It's like I showed up with a few aluminum trays of mac and cheese to add to the buffet line. I simply had no idea how ridiculous it was.

There are about five or six memories in my life I can't get away from that make me want to jump off tall bridges - and that's one of them. I'm horrified every single time I think of it. So, now, insaneshams, I really dislike you for reminding me I did that once.

Seriously, just don't. Nothing good can come from it and reflective embarrassment is an eventual certainty.

Off to pray my Hail Mary's and flog myself now.... again.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:36 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going to a wedding as a guest

I'm wondering if it's going to be in the way or annoy anyone.

The answer is yes. Please, please, please leave your gear at home. Chat with friends, drink free drinks, and try not to rip your pants on the dance floor. Enjoy!

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:44 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going to a wedding as a guest

I'm not even sure how much you can improve your skills this way. Unless you are in control and calling the shots, literally, it's never a real test or learning curve.

That said, If you saw an opportunity where the shooter was working with the B&G and the bridal party were just standing there, perhaps you could look round and set up a shot with them. Still a bit awkward as to really get anything out of it you have to do it to the best you can and that may not be practical in the situation.

The opportunities may be even more limited.
Might be ok at the church say but I just won't allow anyone else at the location with a camera. That is spelt out in my contract, gone over with the couple several times and I DO enforce it. If there is another camera at the location, mine doesn't come out till the other one has disappeared. If I spot it from afar, watch out. I don't like to be played for a sucker and believe I have been very effective at communicating that on occasion.

Perhaps a conversation with the shooter may prove them to be more flexible and less of an arsehole than I am about it.
The value of the exercise might also depend on what you are looking to improve. If you are going to sweat the technicals and details nit picking, forget it. If you are looking at posing, might be something you can do.

In reality, I think you'd be a lot better off just getting a couple of friends to come to a location with you one afternoon and go from there. Maybe the couple from the wedding would be open to getting dressed up and going to another location when they come back from their honeymoon.

Shooting on the day is going to be a mighty thin line between actually doing anything worthwhile to help yourself and pissing the shooter right off.
I would Highly suggest not shooting over their shoulder. For a fat lump, I can move very quickly when on a Job. If I bump into someone, I'll ask them very politely the first 2 times not to shoot over my shoulder and get in my way. The 3rd time I just knock them flying and literally walk on them if they don't get up and out the way fast enough.

The only camera I take to a wedding I'm not officially shooting these days is my P&S to get some happy snaps of friends that may be there as well. If I'm at all close to the couple I would have been doing all the pics and anyone I'm not that close to I'm probably not all that interested in having pics of them in reality as they are probably something like a collouge from my wife's work or someone similarly detached.

If you want to get Folio shots, again I'd say you are better off getting a couple of Friends or local models, approaching a dress place and suit hire along with a stylist and offer to give them pics for display and promo in exchange for their contribution.

Guarantee you'll learn a hell of a lot more doing that than trying to grab something on the day of a real wedding as a guest shooter.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:50 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Last wedding I attended as a guest was a cousin's. I gave her one photo (canvas) as a gift — borrowed a tilt shift and took a ceremony wide shot in the church where my extended relatives had a presence in for almost 100 years. I knew that church was like family and she'd appreciate it — plus the likelihood of her photographer bringing a t/s were low so it was unique. Popped up to the balcony for 5 minutes, took 15 variations of the same scene, camera back in bag and I returned to guest mode. 2 foot canvas - easy gift.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:07 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going to a wedding as a guest

What everyone else said.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:35 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going to a wedding as a guest

You can hold more drinks without a camera in your hand.

Want to improve your skillz? Watch the hired photographer and take some mental notes about how they are working, positioning people, finding angles for shots, etc.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:41 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going to a wedding as a guest

BSPhotog wrote:
You can hold more drinks without a camera in your hand.

Want to improve your skillz? Watch the hired photographer and take some mental notes about how they are working, positioning people, finding angles for shots, etc.

Take this advise. I am also an amateur, do not take gear, and watch the pro.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going to a wedding as a guest

You can not get real practice without getting on the way, I would say !

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:55 PM
insaneshams

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm definitely going to just relax and enjoy the open bar tomorrow.

Initially I just wanted to play with my camera and take random shots, not really setting people up or things of that nature. However, I realize how annoying it is to just have another dslr there and the complications it brings. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:56 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going to a wedding as a guest

I totally get that you want to taste the experience of shooting a wedding and seeing if you and your equipment is up for it. But I agree with the others. When you're invited as a guest, go there and have a good time. If you bring your gear, and you want to dance, are you going to leave your gear at your table where someone can take it, or are you carrying it onto the dance floor with you while you're getting down to "Love Shack"?

Leave your gear at home and enjoy the party. But there are ways to go to a wedding and test yourself out. Find a low-end wedding photographer and tell him you want to tag along and get some shots for one of his weddings. (A high-end wedding photog probably wouldn't be open to it.)

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:08 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Glort - The Tolstoy of FM!

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:18 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going to a wedding as a guest

It's just me then....

If you enjoy photography and you can stay out of trouble I think you should take your camera. You won't be the only one and are you really going to be happy joining the iphonography brigade? Photography is my hobby as well as my job. The only place I don't take a camera is to the shitter and if I'm having surgery. And taking your camera doesn't mean you have to use it. It's entirely possible to take your camera, have a good time and not get in the pros way, all at the same time.

Working photographer don't have any special rights to be the only one at a wedding with a real camera. And I don't think anyone has the right to tell you what's best for you. It isn't dangerous or illegal to take photos at a wedding. If the couple wanted you to put the camera down then you should. Otherwise enjoy your hobby.

Just observe a few commonness rules of etiquette.

* Don't shoot next to the real photographer. People need to be looking at him. Not you.
* Don't shoot what you think he'd shoot. You're not the backup. Be creative FFS.
* Never build your portfolio on someone else dime. That's a douche move.
* Stay in your seat during the ceremony. Don't block the aisle, ever.
* No lights or stands except a hotshot flash. Yep. I've had a guest turn up with studio lights for the reception. Keep a limit on your gear.
* Don't offer to give the couple the photos. Wait a month or so and surprise them. That way the pro has had time to deliver.
* Do you really need to be uploading to twitter and Facebook while your still at the reception? For Gods sake don't bring a laptop.
* Don't shoot over the pros shoulder.
* Don't hassle them for tips. You want to learn, go to a photo school.
* Be aware of where the pro is. You definitely don't want to be in the background of his shots.
* Leave the bride and groom alone. They're already photographed out. Except for maybe a selfie with your phone.

Coming here to ask seems to show you're wanting to do the right thing. You'll be fine.

Gordon

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:41 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Going to a wedding as a guest

I think a lot of people here are a little but more jaded than I am on this one.

My advice: bring it, but be smart and have a good time.

I think as long as you are aware and respectful of the main, this can be a great thing. I bring a camera+light prime to almost every wedding I go to as a guest. And every couple I've known has been THRILLED to have some pictures the next day (I do a quick cull + batch process) that aren't iPhone quality.

I've also landed 3 or 4 clients this way who have later found out I shoot professionally as well.

But 100% be smart and respectful of the main photographer.

edit: If you are smart and the main photog gets offended later that your work is better, then he needs to put together a better product anyway.

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:04 AM
insaneshams

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Going to a wedding as a guest

So perhaps it's better to go with a nifty fifty than a zoom lens?

The other option I was considering was to straight up ask the photographer ahead of time if it's ok with them and that I totally respect their wishes whatever his/her decision is.

mb126 wrote:

I think as long as you are aware and respectful of the main, this can be a great thing. I bring a camera+light prime to almost every wedding I go to as a guest. And every couple I've known has been THRILLED to have some pictures the next day (I do a quick cull + batch process) that aren't iPhone quality.

I've also landed 3 or 4 clients this way who
...Show more

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:48 AM
insaneshams

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Going to a wedding as a guest

Thanks for giving an input on the other side of the argument

flash wrote:
It's just me then....

If you enjoy photography and you can stay out of trouble I think you should take your camera. You won't be the only one and are you really going to be happy joining the iphonography brigade? Photography is my hobby as well as my job. The only place I don't take a camera is to the shitter and if I'm having surgery. And taking your camera doesn't mean you have to use it. It's entirely possible to take your camera, have a good time and not get in the pros way, all at the same time.

Working photographer
...Show more

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:50 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Going to a wedding as a guest

insaneshams wrote:
So perhaps it's better to go with a nifty fifty than a zoom lens?

The other option I was considering was to straight up ask the photographer ahead of time if it's ok with them and that I totally respect their wishes whatever his/her decision is.

Why? It's not the photographers wedding.....

I think you're asking the wrong person.

Gordon

p.s. personally I would bring a fifty 'cause I think it'd be more fun.

Oct 29, 2016 at 02:50 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Going to a wedding as a guest

mb126 wrote:

I've also landed 3 or 4 clients this way who
...Show more

Sorry sunshine but THIS would annoy me. You don't go as a guest and try to undermine the working photographer.

Not cool.

Gordon

Oct 29, 2016 at 02:52 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password