FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

Yesterday we were short a videographer on a 2 shooter job so I loaded up a 5D4 and borrowed A7s and shot video ... but that's beside the point. I hadn't attended wedding — not as the photographer — in some time, and as the 2nd videographer it was very odd.

Not once, all day, did I have to look at a timeline, convince people to get moving, negotiate with venue/catering staff. All I had to do was shoot and know what was happening 5 mins before. Nothing like a contrasting situation like that to make me realize how much event management we all do.

Please discuss. Happy Friday everyone!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

The event management side of things drives me nuts. We just don't have a choice unless we want to risk missed shots and unhappy couples (if even they caused it!)

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

I have read a lot about event planners but am still to shoot a job that has one.
It seems I have always done a lot of what they are supposed to do and never given it a 2nd thought. I just take it as a part of what we do.

It seems many shooters don't like having to do anything bar press the button. Many shooters certainly don't like to have anything to do with the business aspect of being a shooter and helping run the day seems to be a big inconvenience many resent as well.

I don't like paying Rego and insurance on my car or doing maintenance on it but if I want to be able to drive it and get around, it's just one of those things that's part and parcel of the convenience I want. Can't have one without the other.

I guess I have been doing it so long now, I just don't know any different. It's certainly been an asset though. I have had many couples tell me that a good part of the reason they booked me was because I asked them at the initial interview about things on the day no one else did, they never thought of and helped them avoid problems. Prodding them along on the day has always been appreciated as has all the other little things I often organise and guide them with on the day.

I just take that keeping things on time, herding people up and arranging them and similar things as part of the job. It's never been a distraction or mental overload to taking pictures, in fact it allows me a lot more leverage in getting the best pics for my clients. Certainly not something I have ever thought of as a downside to the job or a hassle. If that was my biggest worry on a wedding I'd be pretty bloody happy!

No one else has ever been there to do these things, no one has ever told me it wasn't my job, pretty much everyone appreciates me keeping things on track so I just assumed it to be a part of the service I provided and did it to the best of my ability without thinking about it.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

glort wrote:
I just take that keeping things on time, herding people up and arranging them and similar things as part of the job. It's never been a distraction or mental overload to taking pictures, in fact it allows me a lot more leverage in getting the best pics for my clients. Certainly not something I have ever thought of as a downside to the job or a hassle.

I never thought of it this way.

I'm a project manager in my day job so I tend to get bitter thinking I'm doing something like my day job plus being photog and not feeling like I'm getting paid adequately to be doing both at once.

Perhaps I should make more of non-photog stuff I can add to smooth running of the wedding day like you do.

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:49 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

I go over the timeline with my couples a week or a month before the wedding to iron out all problems I think it may arise. Couples are always optimistic to have so many things done in a day. The more events and people are involved, the more delays I expect. Wedding day is the same things, I have assistant, second shooters and family member help me gather people for family formals, etc to make sure we are on time to take other shots of the days (reception, detail shots, etc)

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:20 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

Mark_L wrote:
I never thought of it this way.

I'm a project manager in my day job so I tend to get bitter thinking I'm doing something like my day job plus being photog and not feeling like I'm getting paid adequately to be doing both at once.

Perhaps I should make more of non-photog stuff I can add to smooth running of the wedding day like you do.

This is the biggest difference from when I was just starting out to where I am now. I put way more effort in the service side of things--and I charge for it, too. My value isn't just the images, but helping my clients experience their wedding in a way that's more fun, more relaxed, and just more awesome. And guess what, making sure they are having a good experience makes it way easier to photograph them having a good experience.

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:38 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

This year we started having drinks and dinner with our couples after the engagement session. We use that dinner to put the schedule on paper and go over the day in a relaxed setting. Clients feel taken care of, I get to drink alcohol I can expense, get to know my couple better and as a result the wedding day goes a lot smoother. Win win for all.

We do a lot of planning because photographers and videographers are typically the only vendors in this industry to spend the ENTIRE day with the bride and groom. It's not insignificant experience. We put out fires, fix situations and do a lot of shit that doesn't even remotely approach the field of photography. I've lost count on how many times I got the Shrek pussy cat eyes from the groom and the inevitable question "Francis, do you know how to put this thing on?" with the boutonnière in his hand.

Great customer service pays off in great word of mouth, but tenfold.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:36 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

This is the biggest difference from when I was just starting out to where I am now. I put way more effort in the service side of things--and I charge for it, too. My value isn't just the images, but helping my clients experience their wedding in a way that's more fun, more relaxed, and just more awesome. And guess what, making sure they are having a good experience makes it way easier to photograph them having a good experience.

Basically this. Even working with some of the best around, I'm constantly aware of timeline, arranging the proper people in the proper location, etc... I'm a source of calm and reassurance to the clients and a freaking drill sergeant to everyone else. Well, a really polite one anyway. The better my vendors are, the less of that I have to do. But I go into every wedding prepared to pull double duty.

And yeah... Video guys have it easy the day of. Just tag along for the ride during photos. If something drifts out of focus for a moment it's "artsy". They don't have to worry about expressions or blinks or that one awesome second because they all flow together.

And then the edit comes along and their life is hell.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photographer = Master of Ceremonies

mikethevilla wrote:
Basically this. Even working with some of the best around, I'm constantly aware of timeline, arranging the proper people in the proper location, etc... I'm a source of calm and reassurance to the clients and a freaking drill sergeant to everyone else. Well, a really polite one anyway. The better my vendors are, the less of that I have to do. But I go into every wedding prepared to pull double duty.

And yeah... Video guys have it easy the day of. Just tag along for the ride during photos. If something drifts out of focus for a moment it's "artsy".
...Show more

My guess is their editing is more interesting then ours. They do their art in the edit room for the most part. That's understating the shooting a little, but people who know movie making process usually hail the finished work as a product of the editor.

Glort nailed it. So did other folks but yeah.

I always wonder what the hell a planner does anyway. When I am at wedding who have them they don't really do anything except maybe backend reception quarterback. Hell I give a timeline to the couples on their first meeting and I've made the planner obsolete at that point. I've tied more ties for other people then I have for myself. Pinned flowers, used chalk and shout wipes on dresses, choreographed ceremonies, directed florists, planned music, strike dance halls, helped with design. Never all at once mind you,

But the key to making the event management part easier is to double or triple the time you need for everything. I put 15-20 minutes of buffer on every segment of the day. Its like old cell phone plans, my minutes carry over. That way if something needs to be redone, or people are slow, or anything unexpected which is every wedding, you will always be early or at worst on time.

Oct 31, 2016 at 05:48 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.