New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Late fall

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Late fall

My daughter was with my wife yesterday giving me a chance to slip out for some photography. It is late for fall color so I did what I could.

I normally don't do foamy water images, but decided it would help add some interest where the color was lackluster. The light was good and the water levels unusually high for fall so here are two takes on a scene that I have shown many times here.

Like to hear your preference on scenes, processing and anything else.

The first is processed fairly normally, the second is warmed up a bit. Both were very blue out of the camera.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Late fall

My pick would be the first as I find the colour of the large boulder in the second somewhat artificial.

Of more importance, however, is the spaciousness of the first and of the manner in which the trees, bushes and rocks provide a natural and very pleasant framing of the stream.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Late fall

Thanks Rick, and yes, I did take some artistic license with the second image.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Late fall

The first one is easier to my eyes, has a better flow, a more serene feel.
In the second one the water flow leads my eyes right out of the scene and the big stone on the right feels more like an obstruction.
The second one has a more pronounced warm tones, compared to the first one, may be a touch of magenta cast.
They are both nice images that impart a sense of tranquillity.
Socrate

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Late fall

Thanks Socrate, the first is my traditional comp for this, I tried the second because it for once was unobstructed with deadfalls.

I would like to find a way to include the upper water course in the first with some part of the lower one in the second image. And of course a week or two earlier for good color.

Here is a rework of 2, are these colors better?

Edited on Oct 28, 2016 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:19 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Late fall

First one for me as well both in terns of composition and processing - however a little bit of warming to that scene would add some punch.

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Late fall

Thanks JameeIH, I added a color corrected version of 2, now I will look into a warmed up version of 1.

Edit:

Here is a warmer version of 1.

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:04 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Late fall

Great tips from everyone. I like the last post above the best, very pretty shot.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Late fall

DaleBerlin wrote:
Great tips from everyone. I like the last post above the best, very pretty shot.

Thanks, the warming definitely helps I think.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:09 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Late fall

They look definitely improved. May be a bit more brightness in the second shot?

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:08 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Late fall

Both of your warmer edits are very nice. I'm going to be the weird one (again) and give the warmer #2 image my vote. I like geology and that is one cool looking boulder. I also like the path leading out into the distant opening that appears to have a little fog.

If you had just a little more room at the bottom I think it would look a little better and possibly lesson the "obstruction" feel that Socrate described.

I've been working on my fall waterfall shots until I'm blue in the face. It's refreshing to see your images and how natural they look.

Good to hear and see that you got a chance to sneak away for a little while!

Dave

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Late fall

First photo warmed up is my pick.
Steve

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Late fall

Shasoc wrote:
They look definitely improved. May be a bit more brightness in the second shot?

Thanks for the rework, the backlit sky forced this shot to be darker than the first and I let the overall luminance stay at the point below clipping the sky. But there is no problem brightening up the rest.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Late fall

lighthound wrote:
Both of your warmer edits are very nice. I'm going to be the weird one (again) and give the warmer #2 image my vote. I like geology and that is one cool looking boulder. I also like the path leading out into the distant opening that appears to have a little fog.

If you had just a little more room at the bottom I think it would look a little better and possibly lesson the "obstruction" feel that Socrate described.

I've been working on my fall waterfall shots until I'm blue in the face. It's refreshing to see your images and
...Show more

Dave, you and I think alike in terms of color. I always think it's a defect on my part, but I also liked that look even though I knew it was not natural.

It was super good to get out even though it was only a couple hours. I wanted to stay all day and maybe overnight.

I started lower, but then I could not see much of the water behind the middle rock. I have a picture of my grand daughter setting on that rock for a HS Grad picture. In fact I posted it a couple years ago.

Edited on Oct 28, 2016 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Late fall

eeneryma wrote:
First photo warmed up is my pick.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I think that's probably the consensus, with Dave and I being the outsiders in this case.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:04 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Late fall

I prefer the second. The sheer size and presence of the rocks and dynamic nature of the water flowing at an angle works for me. The first feels centered with all lines pointing to the bright area of water in the middle. Others like it and call it well framed. Different strokes.

Oct 30, 2016 at 08:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Late fall

Thanks Brev00, you are correct about personal likes. As an unschooled photographer, I go mostly by instinct and what appeals to me.

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Late fall

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks JameeIH, I added a color corrected version of 2, now I will look into a warmed up version of 1.

Edit:

Here is a warmer version of 1.

Definitely improves on the original. Well done.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.