New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

Hi there - This isn't a "camera A vs camera B" question per se. I am just wondering for those who made the switch, how "worth it" that decision has been, to them.

I use my 1D4 mostly for wildlife, and some occasional road races, and I still like this camera. I wonder if any of you actually miss that tiny bit of extra reach, or if there are other things that make up for it?

I borrowed and shot with a 1DX alongside my 1D4, and in good light, the 1D4 did all I asked of it, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference in the images. (I haven't actually done an in-depth comparison, though.) In less than perfect light, is the 1DX much better? (noise, etc.) If I had a 1DX, I would certainly use it for other things, like portraits and landscapes, which I cover now with my 5D3.

If anyone is inclined to comment or ruminate, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks - Sharon

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:23 PM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

I didn't directly switch from one to the other but I've shot about 100k frames with both cameras in a lot of different situations.

If you are reach limited, then the 1D4 is the better option. By about ISO 1600, the 1DX will start to give better images however.

Everything else about the 1DX is better-- FPS, buffer, AF, etc. The camera just plain works faster and it feels like an extension of my brain. In spite of whatever DXO says about DR, I find 1DX files maleable in ways that 5D3 files are not.

On the other hand, the price difference is about 1500$, which can buy a lot of glass.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:02 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

I loved the 1DIV and had to sell two cameras - including my beloved 1DsII - to buy a used one. Superb handling, good fps, excellent AF acquisition, and for the time: high ISO. I became the sports photographer/reporter for the local, small town newspaper. Trying to shoot in the dismal gyms and fields of dying mining towns, rez schools, tiny ag towns pushed it too far. Couldn't crop down well for the formats needed by the paper.

I finally - again going thru financial contortions including selling off a couple of lenses that I loved - ponied up for the 1Dx. Absolutely no regrets. In every way - at least for me - it is significantly better than the 1DIV. The high ISO - I'm shooting indoors at 6400 - produces completely usable images even if they need to be deeply cropped. The AF is superior to anything I've ever encountered. I have no doubt that Nikon's equivalent camera is much the same, but I have Canon lenses.

I use the camera for wildlife and even landscape. Any pix quality issues have been user induced. I have no clue what version II brings to the table in terms of useable improvement, but for now the 1Dx is more than adequate.

Depending on what you shoot, particularly if you need excellent AF and low light capability, you should seriously consider it.

Robert

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

Hi Sharon,

Sharona wrote:
...In less than perfect light, is the 1DX much better? (noise, etc.)

Yes.

Sharona wrote:
I would certainly use it for other things, like portraits and landscapes, which I cover now with my 5D3.

Me too.

I used both the 1DIV and 1DX for about four years. I recently sold the 1DX because (i) I don't shoot sports any more, and (ii) I also have a 1DIV, two 6D, and etc. I'm in the process of switching from an action orientation to a scenic one, and so my attention is going towards different lenses and possibly higher resolution sensors, with a more leisurely pace for most of my shooting. If I was still doing a lot of action photography, the 1DX would be the last thing I'd let go. As it is, the 1DX was worth more to me as money in the bank, than it was as a general-purpose camera. Don't get me wrong, the 1DX is the best general-purpose camera that I've ever used, but the 6D also does fine job, even when accurate AF is required, as long as it can be accommodated using the centre AF point, which covers most of my AF photography, now. Besides, I'm keeping the 1DIV. Unlike the 1DX, it's worth more to me now as a camera than the paltry sum of money that I'd get for selling it.

When I was using the 1DX and 1DIV together, in decent light, I would not chose between them according to IQ, AF, or other technical things, I'd use them according to the best combination of sensor sizes (and effective AOV coverage). For wildlife (in good light), I'd use 1DX + 100-400L IS II and 1DIV + 500/4L IS. For field sports (in good light), I'd use 1DIV + 70-200/2.8L IS II and 1DX + 500/4L IS. In poor light, I'd often switch out the 1DIV and bring in a 6D, because its high ISO performance is relatively awesome (like the 1DX), and its centre AF point is awesome, too.

Cheers,
Jim

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

The 1DX is way better over 1600ISO...like significantly better. I still have the 1D4 but only bring it along on overseas expensive once in a lifetime trips as a 3rd backup. Otherwise I never touch the thing and preferred the 7D2 over it also. The 7D2 has more reach and equal ISO performance. I prefer the newer 61/65 pt AF system and the huge amount of customizability like having 2 back buttons to focus with different settings in the newer cameras.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

Only things I found better with the 1DX were better high ISO and the faster fps. I certainly did not find the images looked any better than those from the 1D4. Did not find the AF noticeably better either.

7D2 is a great camera for the price, but I (and another photog nearby) had AF issues, and I did not need that hassle.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:21 PM
adamx12m
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

I still use the 1d4 and 1dx side by side for sports and at night the extra reach helps. Beyond that the 1dx is just better at everything else, especially AF, faster fps, and high iso.

I hate idea of replacing it since it gets less use and aging, but it just works so well and definitely a great backup. The 1dx is not going to take significantly better pictures, just the opportunity to leverage extreme situations better imo. I have this same decision except with 1dx vs 1dx2 currently.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:46 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For those who switched from 1D4 to 1DX

Thanks all, really appreciate the input. I'm with Jim, in that I couldn't get close to what I paid for my 1D4, and I use it so sparingly - it almost looks like new. So, until 1DX prices come down a bit, or I guess if I find myself shooting more in situations where I need that high ISO capability, it will be tough to make this switch. I'm not really interested in a 7-series camera. I really like the 1 series, they're just more robust. I enjoyed the week I spent with the 1DX, but the 1D4 is certainly no slouch.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password