1       2       3              9      
       11              14       15       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Lance B wrote:
Err, nice try, but wrong comparison, the Canon 5DS R compared to the Nikon D810, a 50Mp camera compared to a 36Mp camera. I could easily show where the Nikon 400 and 500 outresolve the Canon 500 by using the Canon 5d MKIII compared to the D810 or D800E.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-400mm-F28E-FL-ED-VR-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Canon-EF-500mm-F4L-IS-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III__1369_814_393_795

Look over at Lensncore where they use a 200Mp sensor to test lenses thus taking the sensor limitation factor out of the equation. Here the Nikons do very well, thank you. In fact, the Nikon 400 scores the best of ANY tele lens with a resolution score of 1466 and overall
...Show more

Post some shots with Nikon's 50MP camera then... oh wait, Sony won't let them have those sensors yet!.

I prefer to deal with real-world results, using equipment that I can actually buy and use - like the 5DsR and D810. When (or if) Nikon comes out with a higher resolution camera so that some amount of that fantasy resolution is actually usable, that would be a new discussion.

Feb 09, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

molson wrote:
Post some shots with Nikon's 50MP camera then... oh wait, Sony won't let them have those sensors yet!.

I prefer to deal with real-world results, using equipment that I can actually buy and use - like the 5DsR and D810. When (or if) Nikon comes out with a higher resolution camera so that some amount of that fantasy resolution is actually usable, that would be a new discussion.

Oh, plllease. So, I show you that your beliefs are incorrect about lens sharpness - Canon and Nikon lenses are similar, Canon might be a tad sharper here and Nikon might be a tad sharper there, but they both make superlative long tele glass. Now you try to use the Mp as a crutch to try to win an argument at any cost. Poor form. Such fanboyism it is breathtaking. I guess the question is, do you own a 5DS R?

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:33 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Another update from Brads ongoing review... .http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_6

Sounds like he will have one more formal AF testing update and then make his decision....but fairly obvious by now which one he will be keeping....$1000s of dollars saved for equal performance in what looks like every objective and subjective category sounds like a no brainer to me.

Edited on Feb 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

I have to admit I'm surprised Sigma did such a good job with this 500mm lens. I didn't expect that it would compete as well as it does with the Nikon 500E. Very impressive. Personally I went with the 600E for the extra reach and am very glad I did, but if I was in the market for a 500mm prime I think I'd go for the Nikon, both for the lower weight and not "having" to rely on using the dock, but the decision wouldn't be an easy one with the gaping cost differential.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Gary Irwin wrote:
I have to admit I'm surprised Sigma did such a good job with this 500mm lens. I didn't expect that it would compete as well as it does with the Nikon 500E. Very impressive. Personally I went with the 600E for the extra reach and am very glad I did, but if I was in the market for a 500mm prime I think I'd go for the Nikon, both for the lower weight and not "having" to rely on using the dock, but the decision wouldn't be an easy one with the gaping cost differential.

I am considering a 500mm to expand my Nikon investment portfolio. I'm now about 99% sure that I'd go Sigma to save many $1000s. But I do have to factor in the cost of Sigma TCs as I want to use it at 700 and 1000 also. I have a Nikon 1.4TC but not sure if it works on the Sigma. That does add about $1033 CDN to the price but still would be $2000CDN less than the Nikon even with the cost of both Sigma TCs factored in.

The dock is cheap and takes 1 min to get the settings updated. Sigma has two C modes on the lens and those can be programmed to different AF/OS combos. Once done you can switch between those two C modes and the default for 3 combos without ever going back to the dock again. Also you can customize the AF limiter range which is a huge plus. And do detailed AFMA in lens if you need to....hopefully one won't have to use it as it is cumbersome and probably overly detailed.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
I am considering a 500mm to expand my Nikon investment portfolio. I'm now about 99% sure that I'd go Sigma to save many $1000s. But I do have to factor in the cost of Sigma TCs as I want to use it at 700 and 1000 also. I have a Nikon 1.4TC but not sure if it works on the Sigma. That does add about $1033 CDN to the price but still would be $2000CDN less than the Nikon even with the cost of both Sigma TCs factored in.

The dock is cheap and takes 1 min to get the settings
...Show more

Would there be any chance you'd pick up other Sigma telephotos in the future? Their 150-600 works okay with the 1.4x, the 120-300 works well with both TCs, and I expect that they'll likely be coming out with at least an 800mm lens and possibly a 300mm lens in the future as they used to have those lenses in their line-up.

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Another update from Brad Hills ongoing review. This time about TC use.
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_7

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Would there be any chance you'd pick up other Sigma telephotos in the future? Their 150-600 works okay with the 1.4x, the 120-300 works well with both TCs, and I expect that they'll likely be coming out with at least an 800mm lens and possibly a 300mm lens in the future as they used to have those lenses in their line-up.

For now I'm not buying any lenses. I'd like to get a 500/4 but I don't need one. I'd like to get a 400/2.8 but I don't need one. I'd love Sigma to bring out a 400/2.8 that would hang with the big boys. Maybe they will but from talking with my two camera stores they both don't hold stock of the Canon or Nikon 400/2.8s whereas they will hold stock of the 300, 500 and 600 primes because those ones sell in enough quantity and with enough frequency to warrant holding one or two in stock. That tells me the 400/2.8 might be a long shot to ever see from Sigma as it must not be a high seller in the super telephoto marketplace.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
For now I'm not buying any lenses. I'd like to get a 500/4 but I don't need one. I'd like to get a 400/2.8 but I don't need one. I'd love Sigma to bring out a 400/2.8 that would hang with the big boys. Maybe they will but from talking with my two camera stores they both don't hold stock of the Canon or Nikon 400/2.8s whereas they will hold stock of the 300, 500 and 600 primes because those ones sell in enough quantity and with enough frequency to warrant holding one or two in stock. That tells me
...Show more

Makes sense. Yeah, I'd love to see a Sigma 400mm f2.8 too. I'm surprised that the stores don't sell them as much - while I understand the 300mm selling more since it's a much cheaper lens, I'd think that the versatility of the 400mm would make it more popular than the 600mm and at least on par with the 500mm. Perhaps it's different in places where there are more sports teams - fingers crossed that there is enough demand for Sigma to work on it. But they'll probably update the 800mm before that.

Feb 23, 2017 at 01:06 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

A 300mm is much more usable focal length than a 400mm other than for field sports and birding/small animal shots.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

JohnBrose wrote:
A 300mm is much more usable focal length than a 400mm other than for field sports and birding/small animal shots.

Yep, but the 400mm f2.8 is more versatile than the 500mm f4 (main advantage is weight) or the 600mm f4 (great for small/distant subjects, but much less useful for sports and can't go to f2.8 when light gets scarce). Since Sigma already has a 120-300 f2.8 that's excellent, I'd like to see them do a 400mm f2.8 before they do a 300mm f2.8 prime.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

There is new, very comprehensive update on Brad's Blog about Sigma 500mm vs. Nikon 500mm, and some surprising results regarding AF performance.

Mar 11, 2017 at 06:44 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Zach-55 wrote:
There is new, very comprehensive update on Brad's Blog about Sigma 500mm vs. Nikon 500mm, and some surprising results regarding AF performance.

Thanks for the heads up...reading now...
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:06 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks for the heads up...reading now...
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

Damn, how can anyone write so much about such a simple issue ?

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:12 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

PetKal wrote:

He is verbose. Still I appreciate his time and effort that goes into his reviews. Much better than anything else out there.

I can't see any reason why he will keep the Nikon after following the review. The one thing he can't test for though is build quality over time....would the Sigma last as long with lots of field use bumps and thumps? Also the resale on the Sigma will likely be a lot worse....but saving many $1000s of CDN$s upfront may well be worth it.

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:25 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
He is verbose. Still I appreciate his time and effort that goes into his reviews. Much better than anything else out there.

I can't see any reason why he will keep the Nikon after following the review. The one thing he can't test for though is build quality over time....would the Sigma last as long with lots of field use bumps and thumps? Also the resale on the Sigma will likely be a lot worse....but saving many $1000s of CDN$s upfront may well be worth it.

True enough, there is some value in tossing it all on the table.
In the past, even Sigma's top echelon lenses had a problem with very poor quality of the barrel finish coating. The lacquer/enamel they used would start to flake off in no time. However, I haven't heard much about that problem lately.

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:38 AM
Zach-55
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Such a simple issue?
There is nothing simple about reviewing top of the line 500mm prime lens with complex optical, mechanical, AF and IS systems implemented, all that attached to the top of the line camera body like D5 or D500. That is exactly how any serious, pro-conducted review should look like.

PetKal wrote:

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

You are talking about old Sigma line of lens production, that was five years ago and older.

My Sigma 150-600 Sport accumulated over 20000 shots in the last two years, all that without a trace of usage on its finish, no play to be noticed on zoom ring or focus ring. It is still as good as new.

PetKal wrote:
True enough, there is some value in tossing it all on the table.
In the past, even Sigma's top echelon lenses had a problem with very poor quality of the barrel finish coating. The lacquer/enamel they used would start to flake off in no time. However, I haven't heard much about that problem lately.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:

It seems that Sigma lenses of a new generation (Art, Sport) due to their overall exceptional quality are not loosing value anything faster then Nikon or Canon lenses. Times has changed, Sigma has changed and became a major player whose each new lens is highly anticipated attracting a lot of attention.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Zach-55 wrote:
It seems that Sigma lenses of a new generation (Art, Sport) due to their overall exceptional quality are not loosing value anything faster then Nikon or Canon lenses. Times has changed, Sigma has changed and became a major player whose each new lens is highly anticipated attracting a lot of attention.

I paid for my first Nikon 600 AFS f/4G VR close to $10K about 6 years go. now the same lens is going for about $4500 over the buy/sell forum.
I believe with the new sigma lenses, the mount can be changed for a "nominal" fee if you decide to switch system, i.e Nikon to Canon. To me that's a very big plus feature as I tend to switch between the two systems quite a bit over the years.

Mar 13, 2017 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.