1       2       3              6      
       8              14       15       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Chris_88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
Have you read Brad Hill's review we've been discussing in the last few pages? So far his controlled tests have found zero difference in any IQ markers compared to his Nikon 500 E FL. And that is the latest and greatest with fluorite.

We shall see what Brad's findings are after evaluating AF and VR and real world shots but so far he is pretty surprised how good the Sigma is compared to the Nikon FL. He states it is the closest comparison of any two lenses in IQ that he has ever done.

I know it may be unfair to Brad and I'm still grateful to him for doing this review, but the TC episode has left me with a few doubts about this review. I just don't get how he can praise the 2x TC and then basically say he wouldn't want to use the 1.4x TC wide open, when plenty of people use this combo without any complaints.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Chris_88 wrote:
I know it may be unfair to Brad and I'm still grateful to him for doing this review, but the TC episode has left me with a few doubts about this review. I just don't get how he can praise the 2x TC and then basically say he wouldn't want to use the 1.4x TC wide open, when plenty of people use this combo without any complaints.

I did end up going back and reading a bunch of his earlier reviews about the MkIII Nikon TCs on other lenses. He actually was okay using the 1.4TC on zoom lenses and the 2xTC sometimes on primes so it really doesn't make much sense why he'd make the comment of not using the 1.4 on these newest prime lenses.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
I did end up going back and reading a bunch of his earlier reviews about the MkIII Nikon TCs on other lenses. He actually was okay using the 1.4TC on zoom lenses and the 2xTC sometimes on primes so it really doesn't make much sense why he'd make the comment of not using the 1.4 on these newest prime lenses.

is it possible that his personal preference of what is acceptable vs not may have changed overtime?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:14 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Thang wrote:
is it possible that his personal preference of what is acceptable vs not may have changed overtime?

Of course. I've been corresponding with him via email about a few things. I may ask him about the TC issue but I'm waiting to read the next segment on real world performance to see what he says first.

His TC reviews were only a year ago or so...but maybe things have changed....?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
Of course. I've been corresponding with him via email about a few things. I may ask him about the TC issue but I'm waiting to read the next segment on real world performance to see what he says first.

His TC reviews were only a year ago or so...but maybe things have changed....?

This may be a lens specific issue. I know that Brad also uses a 400mm f/2.8 FLE... a lens that is one of the best that Nikon has to offer. As someone who uses a 300mm f/2.8, I know that this lens plays well with a 1.4x converter, the same, however may not be true of the f/4 super-tele lenses.

Jan 23, 2017 at 01:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

OwlsEyes wrote:
This may be a lens specific issue. I know that Brad also uses a 400mm f/2.8 FLE... a lens that is one of the best that Nikon has to offer. As someone who uses a 300mm f/2.8, I know that this lens plays well with a 1.4x converter, the same, however may not be true of the f/4 super-tele lenses.

Brad has other reviews about the 400 FL and he is happy with it and both TCs (1.4 and 2x). He even mentioned in that review that he preferred to use 400FL with 2xTCIII instead of 600G + 1.4TC to get to "800". Funny because that has been my recent dilemma of deciding if I want to sell my 600II and buy the 4002.8II instead...basically trading off 1200mm f/8 for 400mm f/2.8. But I just don't see the 400II/2xTCIII being quite as good as my 600II/1.4TCIII.

Of course Brad hadn't compared the 600FL with 1.4TCIII to the 400FL with 2xTCIII so maybe if he had the 600FL it would be a different story. Actually one of the reasons he preferred the 400 combo was weight and the 600FL solves that for the 600s also.

Jan 23, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Brad's reasoning for the 400 f2.8E FL VR are similar to mine, not that I have ever used the 600 + 1.4x TC all that much, just that the 400 + 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC and 2x TC works brilliantly and you have 400 f2.8 when required.

How did my post get onto the Canon forum?

Jan 23, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
Brad has other reviews about the 400 FL and he is happy with it and both TCs (1.4 and 2x). He even mentioned in that review that he preferred to use 400FL with 2xTCIII instead of 600G + 1.4TC to get to "800". Funny because that has been my recent dilemma of deciding if I want to sell my 600II and buy the 4002.8II instead...basically trading off 1200mm f/8 for 400mm f/2.8. But I just don't see the 400II/2xTCIII being quite as good as my 600II/1.4TCIII.

Of course Brad hadn't compared the 600FL with 1.4TCIII to the 400FL with 2xTCIII so
...Show more

I've only had my 600E for a few days, but I did try some basement cat tests with it. Right now, I'd say the 600E + 1.4TC III combo is sharper than any TC and lens combo I've personally seen. I've had the 2X and there's no way I'd believe that the 400 + 2X is sharper than the 600 + 1.4. Although, if someone wanted to donate a 400 2.8E I'd be more than happy to run a few tests

Jan 23, 2017 at 06:56 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Lance B wrote:
Brad's reasoning for the 400 f2.8E FL VR are similar to mine, not that I have ever used the 600 + 1.4x TC all that much, just that the 400 + 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC and 2x TC works brilliantly and you have 400 f2.8 when required.

How did my post get onto the Canon forum?

This thread is cross posted as the lens is for both mounts....man you Nikon guys really have issues with the other brand eh....your the second one to complain

Jan 23, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
This thread is cross posted as the lens is for both mounts....man you Nikon guys really have issues with the other brand eh....your the second one to complain

No, not complaining, just wondering how it got onto the Canon forum.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Brad Hill has posted his latest update....this time on VR/OS and handholdibilty http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_5

Again very even but with different OS/VR quirks and methods to get the results....

Jan 31, 2017 at 09:20 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

To add another data point, Lenscore added the Sigma 500 to their database and it did really well. Very close to the Nikon FL. http://www.lenscore.org

Of course I still can't find any info to tell me how to use their numbers to compare two lenses....like what does a 100 point difference in resolution amount to? How about a 1000 pt difference? So really this data means little but does show the Sigma is right in the mix with the best Canon and Nikon primes.

Feb 05, 2017 at 08:17 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

That score is just a tad higher than my Canon 500 F4 ll. Impressive.

Feb 05, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Pixphatic
• •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Impressive indeed. The overall score is great as well.
But really missing some hands on reviews.....

Feb 05, 2017 at 12:17 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

For me the lack of compatibility of the Sigma lenses and teleconverters with those from Nikon are a deal killer. I use two teleconverters with both my 500mm f./4 and 600mm f/4 lenses and if I replace these lenses in the future I can continue to use my teleconverters. It is more a matter of convenience when carrying gear in the field or packing for travel where less is more and I would not want a new lens that required buying a new teleconverter and a USB dock as well.

It might be different had Sigma produced a lighter 400mm f/4 lens as there is not such offering from Nikon and the f/2.8 lens is too large for me to haul around and too expensive for my own use.

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:50 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

PIXPHATIC wrote:
Impressive indeed. The overall score is great as well.
But really missing some hands on reviews.....

Did you see Brad Hills ongoing hands on review? I would say it is the most comprehensive review I've ever seen on a lens. It is linked a couple posts up. I had never heard of his site before but he has some amazingly detailed reviews on many Nikon gears and lenses for Nikon. Highly recommended!

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:37 PM
mb126
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Will the Sigma work with Canon brand mark III TCs?

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:52 PM
ted1000
• •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

The low score for resolution on the lenscore chart for the Canon 300 2.8L IS II seems suspect.

Ted

Feb 05, 2017 at 05:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

ted1000 wrote:
The low score for resolution on the lenscore chart for the Canon 300 2.8L IS II seems suspect.

Ted

That is the one score I would question on there as DXO had it as the only telephoto prime lens to be able to resolve the 5D3's full 22MPs....even though that P-Mp score is a confusing metric at best it still beat out all other supertelephotos and competed next to the best Otus and Zeiss primes.

Feb 05, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
Did you see Brad Hills ongoing hands on review? I would say it is the most comprehensive review I've ever seen on a lens. It is linked a couple posts up. I had never heard of his site before but he has some amazingly detailed reviews on many Nikon gears and lenses for Nikon. Highly recommended!

I found Brad's site when he reviewed the Sigma 120-300, and since then his reviews on gear have consistently been the most grounded and trustworthy that I know of. While there are always limitations when someone only reviews a single copy of a lens, I always trust Brad to have done the most comprehensive and honest review of his copy possible. Definitely seconding your recommendation.

Feb 05, 2017 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.