Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       end
  

Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review
  
 
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


brian_sp wrote:
you sure?
he is already enquiring about Nikon warranty being transferrable so his 200-500 and D500 should be up for sale shortly


Or maybe because I'm trying to buy??



Mar 20, 2017 at 12:46 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


Javier Munoz wrote:
Remind me to never buy a lens from you


Why do you say that? I would never have sold it without having Nikon look at it or until I solved the problem (as I did with a small AFMA). In the end most likely as soon as the temperature rises around here it will go back to AFMA 0. A few of my Canon combos have gone to +10 to +15 during the cold weather recently. We had a short warm spell back in Feb and those numbers corrected back to almost zero. I'm fairly certain the D500/200-500 will correct also but if not the AFMA is set and all is good. I will retest when it warms up more or if the combo comes to CR with me I will retest it there.



Mar 20, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Javier Munoz
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


arbitrage wrote:
Why do you say that? I would never have sold it without having Nikon look at it or until I solved the problem (as I did with a small AFMA). In the end most likely as soon as the temperature rises around here it will go back to AFMA 0. A few of my Canon combos have gone to +10 to +15 during the cold weather recently. We had a short warm spell back in Feb and those numbers corrected back to almost zero. I'm fairly certain the D500/200-500 will correct also but if not the AFMA is set and
...Show more

I wont insist on the topic. I dont want to derail the thread.



Mar 20, 2017 at 03:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


Sorry if this link has been posted but here's a quite in-depth head-to-head of Sigma and the latest Nikon 500. So close in IQ and AF and IS it's not funny. At just over half the price the Sigma is a bargain.

The review is broken into 9 parts, yes 9 and the links are found here:

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html



Mar 21, 2017 at 01:36 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sorry if this link has been posted but here's a quite in-depth head-to-head of Sigma and the latest Nikon 500. So close in IQ and AF and IS it's not funny. At just over half the price the Sigma is a bargain.

The review is broken into 9 parts, yes 9 and the links are found here:

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html


Discussion of Brad's review has dominated a lot of this thread since he posted part 1 months ago.



Mar 21, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Pius Sullivan
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


arbitrage wrote:
Discussion of Brad's review has dominated a lot of this thread since he posted part 1 months ago.


Geoff, would you buy the sigma 500 sport over the canon 500 II?

Pius




Mar 21, 2017 at 02:48 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


Pius Sullivan wrote:
Geoff, would you buy the sigma 500 sport over the canon 500 II?

Pius



From what I've read in reviews so far I'd say yes. But I would also have to budget in both Sigma TCs where as with the 500II I'd already own TCs that work.

500II at CPS price is 10,780. Sigma with both TCs is 8,800. So still a good 2K savings. If it was under 1K savings I'd go for the Canon just for the proven reliability and compatibility with future cameras. I don't expect this Sigma to have issues with that but there is always a chance.



Mar 21, 2017 at 03:01 AM
alundeb
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


arbitrage wrote:
From what I've read in reviews so far I'd say yes. But I would also have to budget in both Sigma TCs where as with the 500II I'd already own TCs that work.

500II at CPS price is 10,780. Sigma with both TCs is 8,800. So still a good 2K savings. If it was under 1K savings I'd go for the Canon just for the proven reliability and compatibility with future cameras. I don't expect this Sigma to have issues with that but there is always a chance.


If I get the Sigma, I am not sure if I bother with the 2X TC. At least not until tested with the the 1.4X.



Mar 21, 2017 at 09:07 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


alundeb wrote:
If I get the Sigma, I am not sure if I bother with the 2X TC. At least not until tested with the the 1.4X.


Yes, my biggest concern with buying the Sigma over the Canon would be the effectiveness of TCs. I'm happy with the Canon 2xTCIII on my 600II and 400DOII and I'm sure it would be identical on 500II. However, Sigma 2xTC on Sigma lens is a big unknown for me. I noticed in TDP review that his brief paragraph on TC performance wasn't very confidence inspiring to say the least. I then read his paragraph on the 500II with TCs from that review and it was more in line with what I'd expect from my personal 600II experience.



Mar 21, 2017 at 01:56 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


arbitrage wrote:
Yes, my biggest concern with buying the Sigma over the Canon would be the effectiveness of TCs. I'm happy with the Canon 2xTCIII on my 600II and 400DOII and I'm sure it would be identical on 500II. However, Sigma 2xTC on Sigma lens is a big unknown for me. I noticed in TDP review that his brief paragraph on TC performance wasn't very confidence inspiring to say the least. I then read his paragraph on the 500II with TCs from that review and it was more in line with what I'd expect from my personal 600II experience.



The Canon EF 500mm f4L IS II works very well with the 2x-III extender - this image was shot wide open.





  Canon EOS 5DS R    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/13s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Apr 28, 2017 at 02:09 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review




molson wrote:
The Canon EF 500mm f4L IS II works very well with the 2x-III extender - this image was shot wide open.


Yes as I mentioned I wouldn't have expected anything less from the Canon combo. It is the Sigma combo that is a huge unknown and one reason I'd stick with the Canon if buying a 500/4.



Apr 28, 2017 at 03:02 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


DXO has posted their review of the Canon version put up against the 500II.

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-500mm-f-4-DG-OS-USM-S-Canon-lens-review-Super-sharp-shooter

A bit of their conclusion:
"Head-to-head against the Canon EF 500 f/4L IS II USM, the Sigma 500mm f/4’s image quality compares very favorably. The Canon lens is fractionally sharper on the 5DS R, but the Sigma offers a modest improvement in resolution on the 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark IV. To be fair, there’s very little to separate them in real-world terms on any of these DSLRs, however, making the Sigma 500mm f/4 a great value option"



Jun 02, 2017 at 05:39 PM
ox0312
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


At this price point... the biggest competition for Sigma is Canon 500 F4 IS (v1) Lens.

These days you can get one in very good condition for $4000 (which is still 2 grand less than sigma)

Canon 500 f4 IS is still a great performer with all the Canon bodies and works well with the teleconverters as well.

Also Canon require absolutely no tuning like sigma (with dock) and has no Focus Shifting issues (specially when working with Wildlife in close proximity)

I hope sigma will come down in price (under 5K)



Jun 02, 2017 at 09:42 PM
Lauchlan Toal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


ox0312 wrote:
Also Canon require absolutely no tuning like sigma (with dock)


Agreed with pretty much everything, but calibration is a function of both the lens and the body. Even if the Canon 500mm lens is perfectly calibrated, is your 7DII equally well calibrated? Let alone your old 5DII? More calibration options is always a good thing, regardless of quality out of the factory.



Jun 02, 2017 at 10:35 PM
lowa2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


My sigma 500 needs zero calibration on 3 bodies.


Jun 03, 2017 at 12:28 AM
timbyers
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review


alundeb wrote:
Also the best Canon lenses reach peak sharpness stopped down 2/3 stops. As long is we don't know how much softer the lenses in question are wide open, the statement about softness doesn't mean much.

The real difference between these lenses optically is revealed in how well they perform with teleconverters. I am still waiting for some good comparisons with 2x teleconverters.

And LenScore is still totally useless to me as long as they don't publish results that are specific to aperture and image height.


I believe the consensus on the Sigma 500/4 sport is that it performs best from 2/3rd a stop on.

We've had nothing but fog, mist, and snow since I've acquired mine, so I can't comment...yet.



Nov 06, 2017 at 04:56 AM
1       2       3              13      
14
       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password