New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

I came across this first review of the new lens. Not the most in depth but still a beginning. http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_500mm_f4_dg_os_hsm_sports_review/
I'm considering this for my D500, but won't be getting it for my Canon system as I have too much big glass for that system already.

Hopefully we can use this thread for future reviews and eventually user reviews from anyone buying this lens in Nikon or Canon mounts.

I'm still on the fence if I will buy this but will update if I do. B&H lists it available End of Oct for Canon but no date for Nikon yet.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Great find, Geoff. I'm in the same boat, wondering whether I should pair this with my D500 and a shorter tele lens. I will admit that given the performance of the Art lenses, I had expected this lens would be as good as the exceptional Canikon equivalents from f4, but I guess something's gotta give. Still not sure whether this is worth the cost over my 200-500.

Btw, the Nikon and Sigma versions will ship in late November (at least here in Japan).

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

I'm also interested in how it does with TCs as really when I buy a big lens, a lot of the value in the high cost to me comes from using it with both 1.4 and 2.0TCs and this lens would be one I'd want to use at 700 a lot and 1000 quite often also.

I already own the Nikon 1.4TCIII and I know Sigma has a newer line of TCs which would probably be the best bet with this lens but adds another cost. I used to own the Sigma 150-600C and in a FW update Sigma took away support for the Canon 1.4TCIII which was one of the reasons I sold that lens. My other issue with the 150-600C was that the VF stabilization was not steady enough like I'm used to with Canon and Nikon lenses. The stabilization worked as promised for ~4stops but what you saw through the VF was not rock solid. That bugged me enough to sell it. If this lens is similar to that one then it may be a no go for me.

This lens is $7799CDN but the Nikon 500E is $12,899CDN so it sounds like a bargain when you look at it that way. However a used Nikon 500G may be the better option?? However, the weight of the Sigma is closer to the newer Nikon/Canon versions than the older ones.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:06 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
This lens is $7799CDN but the Nikon 500E is $12,899CDN so it sounds like a bargain when you look at it that way. However a used Nikon 500G may be the better option?? However, the weight of the Sigma is closer to the newer Nikon/Canon versions than the older ones.

That's the catch, right? The old 500G weighs as much as version 1 Canon 500 or the 400 2.8 ii. I'm not sure whether I could handheld that thing and even if I did, whether my back would survive it. Unfortunately, the FL's haven't been on the market long enough for prices to come down on used copies. That's the big advantage of the version 2 Canon 400/500/600 right now. At this point, I'll probably just keep using my 200-500mm, while adding a 300 2.8 for low(er) light situations.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:17 PM
guitardirky
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

sample images dont look sharp at all.

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

guitardirky wrote:

I don't think that is the lens' fault - I'd wait and see what other photographers do with it.

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:55 PM
guitardirky
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Paul Mo wrote:
I don't think that is the lens' fault - I'd wait and see what other photographers do with it.

Agreed but we all know if you are going to shoot with lens that uses a dock or should require some sort of Fine-tune with the body, it should be done before a review.

Edited on Oct 28, 2016 at 03:34 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:12 PM
bikemore
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Looking at the EXIF, the "original" sample images are at 72dpi.

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:28 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

guitardirky wrote:

I thought they were all front focused, at least all the bird shots. I'd guess he just did an "out of the box" review.
But I was impressed at the relative sharpness wide open. Very little drop off, if any when wide open.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:53 PM
K mueller
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Why not pick up a second hand Nikon 500mm or Canon Version 1?

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Jacks0n
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

K mueller wrote:
Why not pick up a second hand Nikon 500mm or Canon Version 1?

For me, that's not unheard of but there are still issues with doing that.

*Used goods carry a risk - There's no getting away from the possibility the previous owner hurt the lens in some way that is not apparent at first, only to find out down the line in the form of a costly repair.

*Repair availability - After a certain amount of time manufacturers will stop servicing lenses (important because most of the V1 Canon stuff is getting close 20 years old). While not a deal breaker because third parties will happily repair them, there will likely be a slight fall off in the quality of the repair.

*IQ - Lets face it, recently Sigma has really done some fantastic work. While I still prefer the manufacturer's glass, there have been a few lenses that Sigma created that have shown to be a little better than even the Canon equivalent.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:37 PM
rick2906
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

He should have use liveview when possible to focus to remove af error. Im sure the lens is sharper then those pictures showed in this review.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

My only hesitation with going for a used V1 lens is that the weight is as much as my 600II. If I want a 500 I want some weight reduction. The Sigma isn't as light as the Canon 500II and Nikon 500E but it is close.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:10 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

Questions are:

Weight distribution (all the 500's are very easy to hand hold imho and the 600 primes I've ever tried are impossible, but I haven't ever used the canon V2 or the Nikon FL). But the Canon L version 1 is very easy to handhold (just lock your left elbow down at your body and brace the lens with your palm). I think the key is the weight distribution, you can hold something heavy fairly easily that way, but if the weight is out on the end good luck, you'd need to be the hulk or something to hold up the old 400mm 2.8 lol (i'm pudgy and out of shape though to be honest).

Auto focus. New Sigma products have good AF but it isn't *as* good as base line Canon products. Or rather, it isn't as *consistent*. The long Sigma zooms mask this a bit because they are 6.3 on the long end. This is F4. (To be fair though it's not like Canon/Nikon lenses don't sometimes have bad AF too).

Arbitrage: do the 500mm V1 and the 600mm II really compete though? The 600mm II is like 10 or 11 grand and the 500mm V1 is like 4500 used. A regular person like me could theoretically save and get a used 500mm V1, but the 600mm II no way lol.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

woos wrote:
Questions are:

Weight distribution (all the 500's are very easy to hand hold imho and the 600 primes I've ever tried are impossible, but I haven't ever used the canon V2 or the Nikon FL). But the Canon L version 1 is very easy to handhold (just lock your left elbow down at your body and brace the lens with your palm). I think the key is the weight distribution, you can hold something heavy fairly easily that way, but if the weight is out on the end good luck, you'd need to be the hulk or something to hold up
...Show more

I'm not saying they compete, I'm just saying I don't want a 500 to weigh the same as my 600II. The last generation 500s weigh about the same as my 600II. That is why when I've been considering a 500 I decided I would only go for one of the latest weight reduced versions. The Sigma comes close to the newest OEM 500s so that is a plus for me. Even though the last generation 500s are a good deal on the used market, I don't want that sort of weight.

Right now I run both Canon and Nikon. I have lots of big Canon glass but don't want to spend 13K for the Nikon big glass. My Canon glass was bought for a lot less and I have the newest versions. I will sell my Canon 600II once Canon releases the 600DO but until then that will remain my long Canon glass.

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

arbitrage wrote:
I'm not saying they compete, I'm just saying I don't want a 500 to weigh the same as my 600II.

That's the main reason that I didn't buy a 600 II.

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

jcolwell wrote:
That's the main reason that I didn't buy a 600 II.

600DO will solve that problem for you....

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

I want a D500 but with Nikon prices I'd most likely be stuck with a 150-600 or the 200-500 as my only lens. It's cheaper for me to upgrade my 1DX to 1DXII than get D500 + 150-600/200-500. Too bad we don't have any idea of a 7D3 as that would make life easier. But I'd still love to give the D500 a twirl.

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:49 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

woos wrote:
Questions are:

Weight distribution (all the 500's are very easy to hand hold imho and the 600 primes I've ever tried are impossible, but I haven't ever used the canon V2 or the Nikon FL). But the Canon L version 1 is very easy to handhold (just lock your left elbow down at your body and brace the lens with your palm). I think the key is the weight distribution, you can hold something heavy fairly easily that way, but if the weight is out on the end good luck, you'd need to be the hulk or something to hold up
...Show more

I played with one of these about a week ago. It balances marvelously on a Nikon D500 and dose not feel any heavier than the 150-600 Sport as it balances so well. Focus is very snappy and tracking in low light was excelent. I did not have a card with me to provide samples. The 1.5 stop advantage over the 150-600 sport is a trade off to having a zoom which I'm a big fan of using.

Morris

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Review

morris wrote:
I played with one of these about a week ago. It balances marvelously on a Nikon D500 and dose not feel any heavier than the 150-600 Sport as it balances so well. Focus is very snappy and tracking in low light was excelent. I did not have a card with me to provide samples. The 1.5 stop advantage over the 150-600 sport is a trade off to having a zoom which I'm a big fan of using.

Morris

Thanks for the info Morris. Every little bit of info is helpful. I haven't used a 150-600 sport but if the 500 feels similar that is a good thing. I suppose the 150-600 puts a lot of its weight out front when zoomed out to 600 and is likely longer than the 500 when zoomed out to 600.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password