New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Two Long Lens Setup for D500: Recommendations Please

ariot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Two Long Lens Setup for D500: Recommendations Please

I sold my 200-500 and got a Nikon USA Refurbished 300 f2.8 VRII. I flirted with the older ones but just waited to buy the latest. Some list even the VRII as a wait and see since it may get the lighter treatment from the 400 and 600 FLs.

The "300 Two Eight" has always been I lens I wanted to own, going back into the 1990s.

I'm far from an expert shooting wildlife, I'm just learning it is harder than things I shot back in the day, like sports (for example, humans are much slower and larger than birds!! )

I would add that I started to hand-hold it, but on the D500, I found that always using a monopod or tripod is the best bet. That D500 seems to spot flaws real quick in SS and stability.

With the 1.4x and 2x TC and a bit of luck with light, you can really have some fun.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:27 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Two Long Lens Setup for D500: Recommendations Please

ariot wrote:
I sold my 200-500 and got a Nikon USA Refurbished 300 f2.8 VRII. I flirted with the older ones but just waited to buy the latest. Some list even the VRII as a wait and see since it may get the lighter treatment from the 400 and 600 FLs.

The "300 Two Eight" has always been I lens I wanted to own, going back into the 1990s.

I'm far from an expert shooting wildlife, I'm just learning it is harder than things I shot back in the day, like sports (for example, humans are much slower and larger than birds!! )

I
...Show more

Thanks. I'm sure there will be an FL at some point, but looking at the prices of the 400/500/600 FL, I doubt that I'd be able to afford that lens.

If the older version remains serviceable for the foreseeable future and works well with the TC's, then it may well be a better choice for somebody who like me prefers to handhold long lenses.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:38 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Two Long Lens Setup for D500: Recommendations Please

Chris_88 wrote:

Thanks, Bruce. I usually shoot handheld and hence the lower weight of the older version would be a big plus for me. Does the 1.4 TC III work with the old lens or are there limitations concerning TC usage? I'd only use the 1.4x TC, and my 200-500 for anything beyond 300mm/420mm.

Sadly, the TC1.4III is not compatible with the AFS 300 f/2.8 v1 or v2. I have used (and just purchased again) the TC 1.4x vII for my lens. I never plan on adding a converter to my 200-500VR, as image degradation with a zoom is inevitable. If I can't get close enough to get the shot I want with a 200-500VR + D500 w/ cropable pixels, I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with the image even if I have a 700mm focal length. That type of uber-distance capture is not my thing. I'd rather spend the time trying to get closer, or moving on to find a better subject.
Note... I'm not judging, it just is not my thing.

Ideally, I'd have a 500mm f/4 to join my other two lenses, and I'd give up converters altogether... I'm not a big fan of them, but will use them in a pinch.

bruce

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:51 AM
Chris_88
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Two Long Lens Setup for D500: Recommendations Please

OwlsEyes wrote:
Sadly, the TC1.4III is not compatible with the AFS 300 f/2.8 v1 or v2. I have used (and just purchased again) the TC 1.4x vII for my lens. I never plan on adding a converter to my 200-500VR, as image degradation with a zoom is inevitable. If I can't get close enough to get the shot I want with a 200-500VR + D500 w/ cropable pixels, I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with the image even if I have a 700mm focal length. That type of uber-distance capture is not my thing. I'd rather spend the time trying to
...Show more

Thanks for the info, Bruce. Then I remembered correctly. Same here, I wouldn't use a TC on a f5.6 zoom lens. Plenty of posters here have managed to get decent results with that combo, but I usually don't have sufficient amounts of light for that.

The 500 is the BIG issue. As lightweight as it is, I just can't lift the 500FL financially. I'm not sold on the new Sigma, and the 500G sounds like a back breaker.

On an unrelated note, I still hope that Steve sees this thread and chimes in .

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password