1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · New Macboook Pro...

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Macboook Pro...

Tony Hoffer wrote:
People said the same about phones with no keyboards.

I use keyboard shortcuts like crazy. They're super fast. But this just opens up functionality and customization that keyboards can't provide. The PS demo showed some cool examples with layer Blend modes for example. That would save lots of time and doesn't have a keyboard shortcut.

Not saying that it will always be better, but I see it as a supplement to keyboard shortcuts, not a replacement.

When the touchbar was just a rumor, I thought it sounded idiotic. I still thought that until about 5 min ago when I finally saw a short Apple ad in my IG feed. I get it now.
---------------------------------------------

joelconner wrote:
it looks cool, but i just wonder how practical it will be. amazed they are still not doing a full touch screen. i used to think touchscreens were gimmicky...until I hada touch screen laptop. i doubt I will ever buy another one without it.

I am still not on board with touch screens. My wife's work laptop has one and I click stuff whenever I point to something on her screen. Besides, the fingerprints would drive me nuts.

LivLif wrote:
I just wish they gave us a 32gb ram option instead of only 16. Maybe on the next one...

Let's face it, LR wouldn't know what to do with 32GB. My desktop editing machine seldom gets past 50% RAM utilization with 32GB too. Nice to know it is there I guess.

zalmyb wrote:
I work on my laptop screen at least for the past three years. Not saying that's ideal, but it works for me.

The retina displays are good, and in some cases better than a dedicated more capable display. I notice that my images turn out different when I edit just on my 13" MBPr versus on my larger editing monitor from my desktop. The nicer display shows a lot more shadow detail and DR overall. Better screens might be more helpful for print, but the MBPr is probably a closer approximation to our clients' best case scenario for viewing the digital files at home.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:51 PM
joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Macboook Pro...

BSPhotog wrote:
I am still not on board with touch screens. My wife's work laptop has one and I click stuff whenever I point to something on her screen. Besides, the fingerprints would drive me nuts.

Like anything, you just have to learn a different way to interact with it. For me, touch screens have made working away from my desk sooooooooooo much easier and more pleasant. This afternoon I was lying down in my son's room while he tried to fall asleep, and I was able to cull with nothing but a tablet in my hand (using the on-screen keyboard to control photomechanic). It was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:08 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Macboook Pro...

joelconner wrote:
Like anything, you just have to learn a different way to interact with it. For me, touch screens have made working away from my desk sooooooooooo much easier and more pleasant. This afternoon I was lying down in my son's room while he tried to fall asleep, and I was able to cull with nothing but a tablet in my hand (using the on-screen keyboard to control photomechanic). It was awesome.

I could see the sliders in Lightroom being really nice with a touchscreen...

IF Adobe actually made a responsive version of Lightroom.

Oct 29, 2016 at 07:40 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Macboook Pro...

yeah, lightroom is really rough with touchscreens. I have tried, and it is pretty bad.

I tell you the ONE thing I really want is a good in person sales program that is built based on touch (like the Ipad app we use). If I had that with the Surface Studio, we would pay for that thing in additional upsells in probably a few months. People like to have fun...ordering stuff on there would be fun.

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:28 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Macboook Pro...

The problem I have with Apple lately is that they are so forceful in bringing change to their customers that there is no middle ground. It is either adapt to how they want you to do this or you are out of luck. But, in that forcefulness, they are missing things and not being consistent. They "courageously" just took away the headphone jack on the Iphone and force everyone to go straight wireless or buy new ones with their port. A few months later, they announce the new macbook, and the traditional headphone jack is back! But, unfortunately, that brand new Iphone you just bought a few weeks ago cannot be connected to the macbook with the cables they provided. Not only that, those pricey new headphones you bought for the phone have no way to directly connect to the notebook. It is a bit inconsistent.

I only own two apple computers. neither of them are macbook pro's, and even though I am primarily a windows guy, I am also a big fan of apple products. I am all for progression, and maybe progression happens more quickly at the hands of a tech tyrant. But, for the people stuck in the middle of it all who are not koolaid drinkers, it is not a good experience. I understand that things are moving to usb-c, and that's a great thing. Would it kill you to put in one standard USB during the transition?

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:55 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Macboook Pro...

joelconner wrote:
yeah, lightroom is really rough with touchscreens. I have tried, and it is pretty bad.

I tell you the ONE thing I really want is a good in person sales program that is built based on touch (like the Ipad app we use). If I had that with the Surface Studio, we would pay for that thing in additional upsells in probably a few months. People like to have fun...ordering stuff on there would be fun.

Have you tried LR with Surfacebook? Just curious!

Oct 29, 2016 at 03:02 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Macboook Pro...

Not a Mac but I'm hoping the new Surface dial might be able to be configured to move the sliders in LR. Being able to just hover over a slider and turn the dial would be sweet. I use a programmable mouse to do pretty much that now but the dial could be faster and more precise.

Gordon

Oct 29, 2016 at 03:09 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Macboook Pro...

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Have you tried LR with Surfacebook? Just curious!

I have (and do). The sliders are too friggin small and sensitive to get exact amounts. And when you lift the stylus the change a couple of points too often to not be annoying. The only thing that works for me in the sliders with the stylus is using the histogram to adjust exposure and adjusting curves. The screen is fantastic for making selections though. I tend to use a programmable mouse for the sliders and the stylus for brushes.

The Surface Studio might be better because the screen is so much bigger that fine adjustments might be possible with the stylus.

One other thing. I love the Surface with Photoshop. With LR it's limited but with Photoshop it's a joy. I use the Book in clipboard mode with a small MS folding keyboard for shortcuts and it rocks. For that reason alone I'll probably sell my Mac Pro and get a Surface Studio.

Gordon

Oct 29, 2016 at 03:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Macboook Pro...

No SD slot. I'm still in shocked disbelief.

Nov 03, 2016 at 05:49 PM
daniel4

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Macboook Pro...

When my beloved MacBook Pro breaks down, I will replace it with a Dell XPS 15: UHS-II SD card reader, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM for much less than a comparable MacBook Pro.

Nov 05, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Macboook Pro...

*wishes Moore's law was still true*

Nov 05, 2016 at 08:11 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Macboook Pro...

I am currently using a 2015 13" rMBP 2.7 i5 with 8gb ram. It is doing the job but I want and need something faster. Here is what I am considering.

2015 15" 2.8 i7, 16gb ram or the 2016 15" 2.6 i7 16gb ram.

Now I know going from a 5th gen intel dual core i5 to a quad core i7 4th gen will still be a huge increase in speed. I know it seems like a step backwards going from 5th gen to 4th gen, but its going from dual i5 to quad i7 and more ram. So it is going to be faster. What I am wondering is, will I see an even bigger increase in speed and power if I went with the 6th gen i7 2016 MBP? I am reading some mixed reviews on the difference in speed and power from the 4th gen and 6th gen. Some saying the 4th is a tad faster than the 6th gen.

I am restricted in my budget, reason why if I went 2016 I would only be getting the 2.6 processor. So would having a quad 2.8 i7 4th gen be faster than a quad 2.6 i7 6th gen? What would you do if you were me?

Also note, I am running a hackintosh 6th gen i7 4.0 quad core with 64gb ram that I do most of my work on when at home. But on the go, I need something more powerful than my current 13" i5.

Nov 21, 2016 at 05:09 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Macboook Pro...

ok so I did a little more research and here is what I found. Our current 2015 i5 13" scores a 3446 on single core test and 6548 on multicore test. The 2015 15" i7 2.8 scored a 4369 single core and 14300 multicore. The 2016 new 15" i7 2.6 scored 3569 single core and 12302 multicore. SO I am thinking we will be getting the 2015 15" for my wife and then when I need it to edit when we travel I will have the better machine to play with Just thought I would post my findings for anyone else who is interested in something similar. Also by going for the 2015 15" I am getting the magsafe power cord and the other ports that apple ditched in the 2016 version.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.