New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

RRS no likey Novoflex

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS no likey Novoflex

So, I am the proud owner of an RRS BH55 ballhead w/ B2 lever clamp, that I love, and a Novoflex Castel macro rail that I also love.

However, despite both supposedly following the Arca Swiss "standard", the clamp does not close tight enough to secure the rail.

I understand that this is a known incompatibility, however I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a solution to allow these two fine pieces of precision machinery to work in harmony together? I currently carry a plastic drinking straw, which I use as a shim. This holds things together enough for casual usage, but there is still some play, and having to keep track of a stupid little piece of plastic is not an ideal solution to the problem.

Brainwaves, anyone?

C

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:33 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS no likey Novoflex

You may need to simply buy a screw on clamp for the ball head. Sell the lever, or keep as a spare.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:01 PM
kedan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS no likey Novoflex

Try this trick. Put some thick tape under the novoflex plate. Once it's lifted the clamp jaw will be tighter. Repeat if necessary.

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS no likey Novoflex

Ditch the dreaded lever clamp. Support options are far larger without that crippling incompatibility.

EBH

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS no likey Novoflex

kedan wrote:
Try this trick. Put some thick tape under the novoflex plate. Once it's lifted the clamp jaw will be tighter. Repeat if necessary.

Great idea, and I'm happy to report it works brilliantly! Two layers of gaffers tape and it takes out all the slop.

Thank you!

C

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:55 AM
kedan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS no likey Novoflex

Thanks. Happy you got it worked out.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:18 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS no likey Novoflex

dgdg wrote:
You may need to simply buy a screw on clamp for the ball head. Sell the lever, or keep as a spare.

---------------------------------------------

EB-1 wrote:
Ditch the dreaded lever clamp. Support options are far larger without that crippling incompatibility.

EBH

Yes, that would work, however I have a personal preference for lever clamps over the screw versions. Besides the B2 grips every other AS-compatible widget and dingus that I throw at it, so in general I'm quite happy with it.

Anyhows, problem solved.

Thanks for the input, guys!

C

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS no likey Novoflex

I have a personal preference for lever clamps in some situations, and screw clamps in others.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS no likey Novoflex

I love Really Right Stuff lever release clamps, and have them on all my ball heads and in several other places where I want fast and reliable clamping of a camera. So, since you also like lever clamps, some work around or other solution is where you should be headed. The tape on the bottom is a workaround that might suffice, but consider the following.

Get a Really Right Stuff B2-Pro screw knob clamp that has two extra 1/4-20 mounting threads in it, and then mount the clamp near one end of a multi purpose rail, like the RRS MPR-192. The clamp will end up oriented such that you can mount the Novoflex on it in the screw clamp, and then lock the multi purpose rail in to your lever clamp. This allows you extra "reach" to optionally position your macro rig closer to a subject. The screw clamp can be loosened just a bit, and then the Novoflex can be slid to where you want it. And of course the screw clamp should fit your Novoflex dovetail with no tape or other spacer shim. I have two rail setups like that for use with my RRS macro stage or other Arca Swiss devices. Such a rail can also be used to better position a macro lens that has a rail on the lens collar.

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:12 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS no likey Novoflex

Roland W wrote:
Get a Really Right Stuff B2-Pro screw knob clamp that has two extra 1/4-20 mounting threads in it, and then mount the clamp near one end of a multi purpose rail, like the RRS MPR-192. The clamp will end up oriented such that you can mount the Novoflex on it in the screw clamp, and then lock the multi purpose rail in to your lever clamp. This allows you extra "reach" to optionally position your macro rig closer to a subject. The screw clamp can be loosened just a bit, and then the Novoflex can be slid to where
...Show more

Turns out I have a no-name nodal slider lying around, which would work in much the way you're suggesting…

2 solutions! This place is great.

Thanks again, everyone.

C

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:40 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS no likey Novoflex

A nodal slider normally has the clamp oriented across the length of the rail, so it does not work well for what I call a macro slider. Your nodal rail might have a removable clamp that can be re oriented. The RRS clamp I mentioned above has threads that allow it to mount oriented with the clamp opening parallel to the rail. An alternative is to combine two RRS clamps back to back, which allows them to be located at any location on a rail that has both top and bottom dovetails. The back to back clamps can be easily re oriented to provide nodal use or macro use. Also note that your no name nodal slider needs to properly clamp in to your RRS lever clamp, but it might not.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS no likey Novoflex

I really like the Kirk FR-2 for macro and it is also usable in the other orientation for panning. In general I have separate setups for macro work.

EBH

Oct 29, 2016 at 03:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS no likey Novoflex

here I agree with EB-1. I have this rail setup myself. built like a tank with high precision too.

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password