New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Focus Area for XT2....

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus Area for XT2....

Trying to get my head around the various options and modes for XT2 AF.

AF-s and AF-c : a stupid question, but what situations are getting you to switch from AR-s to AF-c, and back?

Focus area: aside from the ability to move the focus box around with joystick, there is also the option to change the "focus area" in the main menu. Is this different than rolling the wheel to change the box size while using the joystick?How often are you changing this, and why?

TY in advance

DSC07805 by unoh7, on Flickr

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Rand47
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus Area for XT2....

AF-C is typically used when you are trying to track moving objects, and most often used when you are shooting in burst modes so that the camera is tracking focus with each frame as the subject is moving.

AF-C can also be used for single frame shooting as you track the object of focus as it moves into your composition to the "right place" for you to fire off the single frame.

AF-S it typically used for relatively static subjects where the AF merely sees the object and locks focus "once" for you to take the shot.

The size of the focus box (adjusted with the wheel) is just that, while shooting AF-S, you're adjusting the size of the area where the camera is targeting focus. Big objects, big box. Small objects, (or more precise focusing on big objects) small focus box. There's more to it than that, but that's a good start.

The Zone and Wide Tracking options are just that, as well. Rather than a single point of focus, the camera will use a zone to look for things to focus upon. The size of the Zone is also adjustable with the wheel, when in Zone mode. Wide Tracking brings up a very large target area in the viewfinder, and the camera is expecting to see something moving from left to right, or right to left, (think train coming into the frame).

The AF-C Custom Settings are usually used in burst mode shooting (but can also be effective in single frame shooting). The custom setting configures the "area" that the camera is looking for objects to appear and move in order to track them with AF. The various configurations of this are explained in the manual, and there is one that you can custom configure.

I have my top "pad button" mapped to Single, Zone, Wide, and my left pad button mapped to the AF-C Custom Settings. It makes it a lot easier and faster than menu diving or even using the Q menu.

Rand

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:18 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus Area for XT2....

uhoh7 wrote:
Focus area: aside from the ability to move the focus box around with joystick, there is also the option to change the "focus area" in the main menu.

No need to use the main menu. Hit "Q" and on the top row (about the 3rd from the left...going from memory) there is an AF box that gives you options as you scroll through them.

* -- Single AF box (adjustable sizes)
[] -- Zone focusing (smallest is 9 boxes but can expand I think to 16?)

[ ] -- Wide focusing.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:26 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus Area for XT2....

cputeq wrote:
No need to use the main menu. Hit "Q" and on the top row (about the 3rd from the left...going from memory) there is an AF box that gives you options as you scroll through them.

* -- Single AF box (adjustable sizes)
[] -- Zone focusing (smallest is 9 boxes but can expand I think to 16?)

[ ] -- Wide focusing.

Congrats Charlie

For the AF modes, there is top button on the 4 way controller that will give you the options without messing around as Rand as suggested, and having the lever on the front to swap from AF-S, AF-C and M makes it easy.

The focus area quickest way as suggested is to depress the joy stick and scroll the command wheel to the size that suits and enter. Recenter is just to depress the joy stick again. It is very intuitive.

For normal shooting I keep to AF-S and a small to medium size focus box, and move the focus square as I need. For more action I use AF-C, and large single focus square depending on the subject.

I am sure it has been mentioned before, but make sure you have "power boost" mode as this will optimize the AF speed. I just leave it on this setting.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus Area for XT2....

Charlie, as an aside, you can link the selected focus point to spot metering too. which is so sweet. what Charles said about focus square size is pretty much what I do too. what Rand said about using AF-C in single shot mode is also what I do for some club work, works well as an alternative to focus-recompose.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus Area for XT2....

Only thing I want to add to the above great comments - I try to keep my single point AF box size as small as possible, yet, large enough so the camera can find something to focus on. Simply, I try to keep the box size either 1 or 2 steps larger than the smallest box. Is that clear as mud??

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:03 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus Area for XT2....

Extremely helpful, everyone.

I have a very longtime client who has bought the XT2 and I must help her with it

She is pretty picky, but so far is very positive about the camera. Today was her first day shooting it, coming from a 6D I helped her with a few years ago. 6D is just to big for her now.

It's very interesting to see the XT2 and A7 side by side, they are near identical size. I think the XT2 body is a bit lighter, but I did not check the stats. Button and dial layout is well thought out. Love the aperture and focus rings on the kit zoom.

It's a fun way for me to bone up on the hot camera , and I'm lucky to have you guys as a resource.

Thanks to all

3 by unoh7, on Flickr

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.