Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

design and other stuff ... for your Wedding things.

Is anyone using their own handwritten font for Web or Computer (PS, LR ...) personalized look ?

Here is my own awful font I just created. A lot of tuning has to be done, but it is a begining !

http://www.jmraso.com/images/JAIME_FONT.jpg

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:43 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

Is this a true font? Meaning, you had an application that turned your handwriting into entries in your Font folder?

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:13 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

An online thing !

Yeah, I have the font in the required formats for Web, PS ...

I thought it was funny to have, but useless in my case with my terrible handwritting !

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:20 PM
Jefzor

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

It's pretty hard to make a good font. To do it right, you need to account for kerning (the spacing in between letter combinations) and oter stuff.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:44 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

I don't use my own handwriting, but I do use a custom font that I purchased on my website and other materials.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:49 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

This can cause problems if the devices do not have the fault installed as they will substitute another font and that affects all kinds of things and not in a good way.

You can get away with a special font when you vector map the output for sending it to a press shop but it is not a good use of your time for Web work.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:43 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

elkhornsun wrote:
This can cause problems if the devices do not have the fault installed as they will substitute another font and that affects all kinds of things and not in a good way.

You can get away with a special font when you vector map the output for sending it to a press shop but it is not a good use of your time for Web work.

Pretty much any modern browser supports CSS3, which is what most custom fonts are written in. There are still some people using out of date browsers that don't support it, but if I based my site on what the out-of-date minority are using, custom fonts would be the least of my worries.

Nov 01, 2016 at 09:07 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

If a font is what books clients I'm going to jump off a bridge.

Nov 01, 2016 at 09:13 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

Depth of Feel wrote:

Every time we drive through a new town, my wife looks at a restaurant and says 'That place looks good!' or 'Who would eat there?'. There are very few reasons for this. She knows nothing of the food, service or anything else. The only thing she's seen is the font on the sign. It matters.

(Disclaimer: Former designer who likes to think that my old field matters)

Nov 01, 2016 at 09:18 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

Depth of Feel wrote:

I'll bet you'll pick your bridge based on aesthetics

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

mikethevilla wrote:
I'll bet you'll pick your bridge based on aesthetics

I'll pick one with photoshop brush humming birds on it. Maybe something with a vintage camera outline and a tree or anchor too. The date placard will be a bastardization of comic sans and papyrus. I'll crowd source my headstone design and only pay one person $20 for the effort.

If that fails I'll use a couture leather camera strap as back up noose.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:32 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Every time we drive through a new town, my wife looks at a restaurant and says 'That place looks good!' or 'Who would eat there?'. There are very few reasons for this. She knows nothing of the food, service or anything else. The only thing she's seen is the font on the sign.

It matters.

(Disclaimer: Former designer who likes to think that my old field matters)
Underline emphasis mine.

So, so true, Tony.

I learned to engrave (trophy placards, serving platters, monograms, name plates, ID bracelets (anyone remember those?), silverware, plaques, etc etc) when I was about five and engraved no telling how many items through my teens.

When I began formally studying typography in my early twenties, I already knew most of the material because I'd been doing it for over a decade and came up with my own "rules" or aesthetic approaches to the job at hand.

The point is, if a veritable child can on his own discover what works well typographically and why, how much more so can good or poor design influence where Amy chooses to dine.

Yeah, God is in the details.

Once "desktop publishing" became available to the untrained masses, I can remember thinking graphic (and CAD) design software should have child safety locks built in. The horror upon horror that the democratization of graphic "design" has brought to the world is a case study in technology gone wrong.

Hmmm. Sort of like much of photography these days.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:53 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

Depth of Feel wrote:

Generally speaking, there are six things that book clients.

1. Reputation - done

2. Marketing - the look, the brand, the identity, the way the marketing makes the client feel

3. Personality - this is a people and relationship business

4. Sales skill - helping the client understand (and more importantly feel) how your product can make their life easier, more enjoyable, safer, more gratifying

5. The work - almost last, though the work is also part of No. 2

6. The pricing - last

The work shows up surprisingly low because it's only a part of the client experience and how we make them feel.

And yeah, your font and graphic design is part of the second most important element

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:03 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Custom personal Font for Web ...

The font is located in one's host and called from the website wherever in the world, no need to have it in the device of the viewer.

elkhornsun wrote:

Nov 02, 2016 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.