Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Alaarx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Hello everyone,
Ive been renting an XT2 for a couple of days and to be honest i love it. Feels great, excellent lenses, good output. I use the Sony A7 series for most of my personal work and the Fuji is a far more enjoyable camera.

One thing that i cannot seem to get a hold of in processing is a B&W look that i enjoy. It produces great files but it seems that overall contrast is slightly more muted than what i am used to.

Has anybody gotten their Fuji images close to this or is it just not their house look? Files are definitely different to process than what I'm used to.

(not my image but i enjoy Paul Giggles style)

EDIT: added NSFW

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Probably just need to mess about with the Shadows and Highlights controls for your JPEGs. Make sure you don't have DR200/400 on, etc.

For Raw (since you said 'processing') I guess I don't see a problem, as it'll get just as contrasty as any other camera.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:25 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

cputeq wrote:
Probably just need to mess about with the Shadows and Highlights controls for your JPEGs. Make sure you don't have DR200/400 on, etc.

For Raw (since you said 'processing') I guess I don't see a problem, as it'll get just as contrasty as any other camera.

I am shooting RAW. Theres just a level of texture and tonality that i cant seem to pull from the files that easily. Its hard to explain i suppose. Subtle greyscale gradients. Its not resolution or DR. Ill get back to the PC and have another play.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:17 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Alaarx wrote:
I am shooting RAW. Theres just a level of texture and tonality that i cant seem to pull from the files that easily. Its hard to explain i suppose. Subtle greyscale gradients. Its not resolution or DR. Ill get back to the PC and have another play.

If you are shooting RAW, I am surprised as the tonal gradient for RAW file conversion into B&W is excellent. I am using Lr CC/PS and then SEP II. I find the gradient very similar to the A7s and A7II, which seems to have better gradient than the A7rII for B&W conversions. With regards to the B&W jpegs you have so much flexibility and just change the setting to your style. The settings are highlights/shadows/sharpness/grain/noise reduction and type of filter yellow/green/red. I would test them out You can achieve the low key strong powerful look, or the high key depending what you want.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:23 AM
Alaarx

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Ill give it a real go when i get home. Might have something to do with the lenses as well i was shooting the 85 Batis and its remarkable for local contrast. Just seems to have a different feel.

That being said i barely know what I'm doing with the X-trans files and it would be a disservice to a great camera to not give it a week or so while i learn.

Do you have any examples of similar images to the one i provided (in terms of final output not necessarily subject matter )

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BokehBeauty
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

You are talking about remarkable local contrast of Zeiss lenses. I think this is an area where only the best Fuji lenses can or want to compete, 90mm, 50..140mm, maybe 16mm, and maybe 16..55mm, which I don't have. Fuji lenses are to me more designed for smooth transition. They are almost opposite ends of the respective scale. The Zeiss 50mm Macro could give what you are searching for. I would be very interested to hear as I'm totally sold to Zeiss.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:10 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

For B&W conversions particularly for portraits you do no want the high contrast or strong micro contrast as you lose the smooth gradient for tones.

It is similar to the Leica Monochrome that has some of the best B&W images, but the RAW images were incredibly flat, until you post processed them. The RAW information is there but then it is the post processing that you add to ensure you have the correct curves and tones. Some of the best Leica lenses for B&W are the pre asph versions where the contrast is gentle but the fine detail is all there.

Even the Voigtlander has 2 versions for the older 35/1.4 M mount lens. The uncoated version was ideally suited for B&W photography.

In essence for B&W you really do not want strong contrast lenses where the tones are compressed.

With Fuji the 56 APD is a superb lens as it brings out the subtle tonality particularly for people and portraits. It is so easy to add contrast but very difficult to reduce it without losing RAW information.

The shots I have added have been posted before

X-Pro2    XF56mmF1.2 R lens    56mm    f/1.2    1/2700s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro2    XF56mmF1.2 R lens    56mm    f/1.2    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro2    XF56mmF1.2 R lens    56mm    f/1.2    1/3500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro2    XF56mmF1.2 R APD lens    56mm    f/1.2    1/170s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-T2    XF56mmF1.2 R APD lens    56mm    f/1.2    1/950s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:26 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Alaarx wrote:
Might have something to do with the lenses as well i was shooting the 85 Batis and its remarkable for local contrast.

Yes it most definitely has to do with this :-)

I love Zeiss lenses and I love my Fuji lenses too, but they're totally different animals. All of my Zeiss (ZE 35/2, 100/2 Makro, 55/1.8 ZA) and even my Panasonic-Leica (25/1.4, 42.5/1.2) lenses were all about the micro-contrast.

Fuji glass is not Zeiss glass. It's good glass, no doubt, but it does not give up the same look at all -- Fuji is about popping colors and pretty smooth transitions while balancing good resolution.

If you're used to shooting Zeiss then yes, you'll have to adjust to the Fuji look. You can attempt to recreate some of that in processing, but it is pretty difficult to do.

It's the same when I shot m43 -- I highly (very highly) prefer Panasonic-Leica lenses over Olympus because they have much more bite. Olympus lenses render very neutral, even more so than Fuji ever dreamed of!

Personally I like the way Fuji renders, but it'll probably take some practice with post processing to 'counteract' some of the look differences, if you want to.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

My Daughter at 15. She used to sit patiently as a model and muse when she was a kid. What happened. Now I have to get a one second grab, like this one when she was getting in the car. Fuji X-Pro1 and 56 F 1.2 wide open.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:57 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X rendering / contrast. (possibly NSFW)

Pavel wrote:
My Daughter at 15. She used to sit patiently as a model and muse when she was a kid. What happened. Now I have to get a one second grab, like this one when she was getting in the car. Fuji X-Pro1 and 56 F 1.2 wide open.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5327/30600521375_704125c0ab_o.jpg

Don't blink, I did and now both of my daughters are moms to 1 year old boys!

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password