Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lightin...

Kimbolina

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Hello,

Hoping to gather some advice on what to do for an upcoming wedding I will be shooting. This wedding will be an open air reception with market lighting above the dance floor.

Typically, I use an on camera flash on my Nikon D750 and bounce from the ceiling or nearby wall, but that will not be possible in this scenario.

I have never used off camera flash and have been doing a little bit of research on what is needed equipment wise and also how to use/setup. Would love for any advice in layman's terms as this is new for me. I have a SB-800 right now for flash and am just looking for recommendations on what to invest in as far as light stand, ocf (1 or 2?) and transmitter/receivers. Also, batteries and which are best...

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:51 AM
VerucaSallt

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Check out strobist.com

Most of what I know about using OCF started there. He goes over everything from what equipment to buy to basics, to more nuanced techniques.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:05 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Not to be dismissive, but it sounds like you're starting from scratch here. Because of that, I'd recommend doing a little research on your own here on the forum. There have been oodles of other threads covering topics such as this. Block out some time in your schedule, grab some coffee and and some kind of pastry, and read read read. After that, when you've got more specific questions, ask again.

Contributors here put a great deal of time and energy helping one another out and sharing knowledge. Because of that, it is respectful to take advantage of some of what has been shared first so we don't just make another redundant thread that has been covered at length.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1429582/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1432742/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1412032/0
...and many more.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:34 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

You're receiving good advice, Kimbolina. Let me add, though, that the d750 uses Nikon's Creative Lighting System, can communicate with the SB800 off-camera (my setup). Others swear that special devices are needed -- due to line of sight issues, etc -- but that has not been a problem for me. Through The Lens versus Manual has been my issue. Practice in the venue or a similar environment. Be proficient before the event so that you will achieve maximum smoothness and suavity. "Light stand" -- are you referring to formals? Now you're talking one flash versus two, light stands, modifiers like umbrellas. But if these are going to be candids during a reception, that's a different story. You might consider a flash bracket. Study and practice.

Nov 01, 2016 at 04:27 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Balance is everything. Since they decided on this kind of a reception, I imagine the ambience of the market lighting is important to them. You'll want to make sure your photos capture that ambience.

To me, this means shooting higher ISO and augmenting the lighting with flash. I like GoodEgg's suggestion of using a flash bracket to keep the flash above the lens in both vertical and horizontal orientation. If you use flash, be sure to gel them to approximate the color temperature of the market lights. In post I wouldn't try to color correct to neutral, I'd keep the photos nice an warm. Set the Flash Exposure Compensation anywhere from -1/2 to -1 to keep it from overpowering the ambient light. This will take testing.

What lenses do you use? You'll need some fast glass. I would prefer a prime or two in this situation. The 35mm f1.4 Sigma Art would be a good choice. I hope you have at least two bodies, that way you don't have to switch lenses and you have a backup incase one body fails (it can happen).

You sound pretty new to all this. I'd keep it pretty simple with the above.

The next step up I'd consider would be to have an assistant with an OCF in a Westcott Rapid Box on a monopod with an on camera fill. I'm not familiar with Nikon's system, which may be adequate. To be sure you could add a Phottix Odin II system, but now you're talking an order of magnitude in expense and complexity.

Finally, the ultimate would be to place 4 to 6 strobes around the area, either on stands or clamped to whatever is available, controlled by Phottix Odin II set to manual adjustment using three groups so you can control the strength according to the direction you're facing.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kimbolina

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Thank you VerucaSallt

Am going through the site now and finding some useful tips and step by step instructions. Appreciate the tip!

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:10 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

I always use a Custom Brackets flash bracket with my 24-70mm lens to get the flash away from the lens access. The Nikon speedlights have a pull out white plastic tab that I pull out half way to throw some light forward toward my subjects. It is for fill as I am using the available ambient light and shooting at ISO 6400 if need be and at f2.8 and 1/30s I get by even with candlelight outdoors in the country.

I use flash for fill and for IR autofocus assist and not as the primary light source. It is not needed with current cameras which all are good at ISO 3200.

Don't do what so many people do and wait until the wedding to learn about the limitations of your equipment. Take a blond person with a white top outdoors in an area with minimal lighting, like a parking lot for example, and take test shots and learn what works in terms of camera and flash settings. Don't wait for the wedding.

Nov 05, 2016 at 10:49 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

go to the venue and plot some sun tracks for the time of day of the reception

note overhead lighting when there

the best thing possible would be to have an experienced cinematography key grip and his crew there...

you may want to block light at times/spots, and add light at other times/spots

Nov 05, 2016 at 11:15 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

I don't know if these images will help or confuse, but here are a few shots from an open air reception I shot a couple weeks ago. I used three lights, two on either side and slightly behind the dance floor and one next to the house (not seen) behind the camera.

For this photo I added a fourth light bounced off the wall of the house while the groom was on a raised porch.

My second photographer captured the action from below.

Nov 07, 2016 at 03:44 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Open Air Reception - First time / need advice for lighting setup

Depends on style and mood you're after, there are several different ways and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback here.
For me, I (ran into several situations like this a while ago) use 4 to 6 OCF (i use YN600EX-RT) and YN-E3-RT on camera. Also, if i need a bit of filled flash, I would put Canon 600EX-RT on camera with DEMB Big Flip-it! Reflector.

Nov 07, 2016 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password