FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

akjackson1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Wrote an article summarizing my experience photographing songbirds at Magee Marsh last year.

http://rawcomposition.com/bird-photography-at-magee-marsh/

http://rawcomposition.com/rawcomposition/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/DSC6246-Edit-750x500.jpg

You may disagree or have had a different experience there, and that's alright

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:47 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Hello Adam and it is evident that you too find Magee challenging for photographing warblers. It's pretty much a non-stop whir of making exposure adjustments, finding subjects, contorting into position to get a shot and trying to be polite of others crowded next to you doing the same. On the other hand it's a great place to just take your binoculars and not your camera😉😁 and simply enjoy the birds and observe areas of good opportunity then go back with your photo gear.
Perimeter areas can be rewarding and less crowded that the boardwalk😎 You need reach because the birds are very small but you also need a close focusing lens because they can easily be right next to you in a split second!

It's a place and a time of great reward and frustration but don't pass up the opportunity to go there and be part of it, until then you can't totally relate to the buzz that goes on!

Nice article by the way. I think it is a fair summary of what to expect with one variable, you are on the shore of Lake Erie, the weather swings quickly and often in the month of May, be prepared😁

Karl😎

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:13 PM
akjackson1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Excellent summary Karl! Even if you leave with no good shots, it's totally worth visiting just for all the activity and excitement

And yeah, I agree, the perimeters can be rewarding. There's often more greenery around the perimeter also. The lookout tower is also an interesting place, although backgrounds can be really good, or really bad.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:17 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Having never been to McGee, I fully appreciate your article! It responds well to the inkling I've had the last couple years to check it out and my growing understanding of photographing small songbirds in challenging settings.

Informative article and nice pictures too! Thanks for posting.

--Kim

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:49 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Nice article and pics, Adam. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:34 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Well done Adam. I've been going up to "the Marsh" for about ten years now and love every minute of my time there. But in all those years, I have yet to find the Canon lending site.
These warblers are why I set out a feeder to attract sparrows and other small birds during Jan and Feb. to warm-up for the Warblers.
Douglas

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:04 AM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Doug, the canon representatives are in the tent set up outside the black swamp bird observatory site on the left as you enter the marsh drive......hours are usually 8-5

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:20 AM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bird Photography at Magee Marsh

Karl Witt wrote:
Hello Adam and it is evident that you too find Magee challenging for photographing warblers. It's pretty much a non-stop whir of making exposure adjustments, finding subjects, contorting into position to get a shot and trying to be polite of others crowded next to you doing the same. On the other hand it's a great place to just take your binoculars and not your camera😉😁 and simply enjoy the birds and observe areas of good opportunity then go back with your photo gear.
Perimeter areas can be rewarding and less crowded that the boardwalk😎 You need reach because the
...Show more

Well said!

Bruce

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.