New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

I sent my D500 in at the end of August after it had been dropped with a heavy lens attached and they broke apart. Do date, I haven't heard from them in weeks and weeks. It shows the repair being on a "parts hold."

They only need to replace the mount. That's it. It has been almost two months. It has been on "parts hold" for six weeks. I was told this repair would be relatively easy and wouldn't take long. It cost $341 including shipping. The payment was required even before I shipped the body. Meanwhile, I'm without my body for a LONG time and it is costing me work. i'm shooting gigs with one body when I almost always use two.

I know parts have to come from Japan in some cases, but this is ridiculous. It just can't be that difficult to replace mounting hardware. Why wouldn't this "part" be on hand.

Is there anything I can do to facilitate some movement on this? Any advice? Thanks

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM
PIOK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

blutch wrote:
Any advice? Thanks

Buy Canon - Nikon Service Sucks --- It took them 5 weeks to replace my camera and they still sent to wrong place... - My last few services was pretty bad .... But I like cameras they have now

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

i agree with the sucks part. they had my d750 for months waiting for parts. thats when i bought a d7200 to hold me over.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Dammit.. not pleased to hear this. I sold my D7200 ... wish I had it right now. Crap.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:40 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Two months is ridiculous. I would escalate the matter and if that doesn't achieve a reliable completion estimate for the next week or so I would demand a replacement body.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:53 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Thank you Snapsy. Any advice on how to make that happen? Last time I called all I got was what the web site says: "It's on a parts hold sir, there is nothing I can do."

I can certainly be more assertive if that's what needs to be done...

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:55 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

blutch wrote:
Thank you Snapsy. Any advice on how to make that happen? Last time I called all I got was what the web site says: "It's on a parts hold sir, there is nothing I can do."

I can certainly be more assertive if that's what needs to be done...

B

The only strategy that has worked for me is tenacity and logic. Every time a customer service rep gives me an excuse I respond with logic to appeal to their sense of fairness, many times trying to get them to experience the situation from my shoes so that they can feel how frustrated they would be if they were told the same. I never get angry or raise my voice - I just don't accept no for an answer.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:00 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Here is a link that will bring you to the same situation over at NSN. The damage description is similar.

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266392

Within that link, the post written by "blck-shouldered kite" is mine, describing my same long wait for a part that they did not have.

And I asked them ahead of time to please have it in stock before I send the lens. NOPE! But I got so pissed off at them that they gave me a discount on the repair bill.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:18 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

My Sigma 120-300 f2.8 was repaired very quickly and sent back and it is even better than when I sent it in. Sharper and faster AF.

The D500.. no word at all. Very frustrated.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:28 AM
CJMiller
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Sorry to hear about your struggles with Nikon. But speaking of Sigma, I recently sent my 120-300S to them for service. I had inadvertently broke part of the plastic tab on the lens mount. They had it two days for a total turnaround of 6 days and didn't even charge me for the repair or return shipping. Lens is not under warranty so I was extremely pleased.
Good luck,
Chris

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

That is frustrating

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:46 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Frustrating no doubt. I sent my 200 f/2.0 in for repair earlier this year and had to wait three months. Reason . . . waiting on parts. Arghhhhh

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:03 AM
Norm Shapiro
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

If you were an NPS member you could get a loaner.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:03 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Yeah.. I need to see if I qualify yet. Not sure enough of my income is from Photography yet.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:06 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

I just had my 200-500 serviced...took almost 2 months waiting for parts from Japan

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:22 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

If you make money from photography you should be with NPS or CPS. It's why they exist. Going through regular channels suck.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:42 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Don't you have to make a certain percentage of your total income to qualify?

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:46 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

The only way to really solve this professionally is to have two d500's on hand in my opinion. That's why the cost of that particular body is a bit tough to swallow, but if you need it you need it. If you honestly need top notch equipment I believe the two bodies should just be worked into your pricing via your cost of dong business. I personally don't think there's much two d7200's can't accomplish that two d500's could but what do I know, depends on what you shoot too of course.

In short though I just don't think sending in repairs to Nikon, whether they are slow or fast, is e way to do business. You need a backup it's the only way.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:02 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

I have another body. D750 which I use primarily for my work. The D500 is for hobby shooting birds and as a secondary body/backup during gigs. So, I'm not high and dry, but it ain't easy to do what I do with one body.

BTW - I had the D7200. The D500 is a big improvement for what I do.

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:44 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D500 Repair delay - Need advice.

Just got off the phone with them. No movement at all. She is "investigating." it is still on a parts hold.. I asked for it to be escalated because of the length and for them to either send me a loaner or replace the body entirely. She said that since I'm not an NPS member that it would be possible to do either. So.. nada.

Snapsy, I took your approach too.. the response was "I understand your frustration sir."

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password