New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Autumn is here

flyfish13

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Autumn is here

Heres a few from a trip out to a field I found recently. Literally could see the highway from where we were...

I guess being a field with a soft box on a stand isn't seen as normal to some folks. I think we scared a lady who walked up the trail near us. She looked over and I said hello, but she promptly turned around and walked back the way she came without saying a word. Haha. Didn't think I looked that scary...

-Nic

1)IMG_2021 by Nic Dalzell, on Flickr

2)IMG_2008 by Nic Dalzell, on Flickr

3)IMG_1999 by Nic Dalzell, on Flickr

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:48 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Autumn is here

Are you looking for CC feedback on these?

I'll assume yes, if not then don't read on. These are cute, seem to capture her personality well. That being said they feel like snapshots, not planned portraits. The horizon line in 1 in distracting, there is too much sky in all of them. I feel like 1 and 3 would both be much stronger with closer framing or cropping in post.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:31 PM
glowhunter
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Autumn is here

good: great use of fill flash, nice exposure, subject is in focus
bad: off kilter horizon, horizon bisects head in every shot, face is dead center in every shot, hair covering one eye, head tilt is awkward.

Technically these images are great, composition is poor and needs work though.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:03 PM
flyfish13

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Autumn is here

Thanks for the great feedback! Exactly what I needed. Looking to improve and learn. Definitely can fix the off kilter horizon post.

In regards to the horizon bisecting the head. Got it. Easy enough to learn from and not make the mistake again. So is my best option to shoot from higher up and have the horizon above the subjects head? Or is there know right/wrong...just not cut through the head?

Thanks again for taking the time to look and provide some helpful feedback!

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:11 PM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Autumn is here

Try some of both - shoot a few from above and since she's a kid, get down on the ground and shoot some low. She seems to be game for playing around and having fun during a photo shoot, so you should be too! With all that lovely grass, why not have your model sit back and be surrounded by it for a few shots? Re: too much sky: if you want options to print at like 8x10 or give these to an ad agency to write in some script, the extra space up top works. Otherwise, it's not doing much for you. If she were farther back in the frame it might work OK (if we saw her head to toe and the sky and grass all served to frame her) but as it is here, cutting off most her legs, not so much. Re:tilted horizon - its a rule to have the horizon line straight for good reason but don't forget, depending on the particular image, sometimes breaking the rule a touch can be powerful (though for these shots, I agree that the tilt isn't adding and doesn't seem like it was a planned element of your photos, though I may be wrong about that).

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:46 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.