Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

DoubleDragon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

What is the current state of support for the 5D4 camera?

I'm a wedding photographer, my 5D3 workflow is to use PhotoMechanic to cull and LR5 for processing. I'm looking for feedback from people using the new 5D4, as I am considering a purchase but wanted to hold off until Adobe supports it fully or until there are established workflows that fit the common wedding photographer's needs.

First of all, will PhotoMechanic5 read the RAWs? That is absolutely necessary for me as culling in LR is not an option.

Also, I was reading a while ago that LR5 and also LR6 did not yet have native support for the 5D4 RAW files... and that users of these new cameras had to convert the RAW into a DNG file, via a free app from Adobe, then import that DNG into Lightroom. Is that still the case? Is there a drawback to converting canon RAW files to DNG? For example, are we losing color depth or anything like that when converting?

Anyway, if you are using the new 5D4 and have aestablished a workflow, please answer my questions and let me know if my old workflow will still be possible (Photomecanic for culling then off to LR for processing)

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:47 PM
gvg45
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

LR5 will not work with 5DIV RAW files. You'll need to upgrade to LR6 stand alone software ($79), which works as LR5 works with your 5D3, or purchase a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.

I don't know about PhotoMechanic.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:04 AM
DoubleDragon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

Thanks for the info. Just to update this thread: I've upgraded my version of LR6 to the latest version (6.7) and I can confirm that 5D4 RAW files do work fine (I just downloaded a 5D4 sample RAW (CR2 file) to check it out in LR6 and there's no problem, everything works and there's no need to convert the file to DNG format)

Also, PhotoMechanic does indeed read the new 5D RAW (CR2) file, so I am fine there as well.

Overall, it looks like my workflow will stay the way it was when I used my 5D3 cameras, although I will be using LR6.7 instead of an older version of Lightroom (5.x)

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:17 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

will there be a new LR soon?

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:20 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

As best I know PM reads the embedded JPEGs and therefore does not require updates to read new cameras, unless Canon drastically changes their CR2 file spec.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

Why are you afraid to jump over to the wedding section and ask?

I just don't get this....

Your answers: the 5DmkIV is alive and well.
4 weddings in with Lr 6.7. all is good.

Mark

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dj R
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Why are you afraid to jump over to the wedding section and ask?

I just don't get this....

Your answers: the 5DmkIV is alive and well.
4 weddings in with Lr 6.7. all is good.

Mark

the wedding crew are likely to destroy him.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:06 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

yes, both LR and PM work just fine but I found that I had to adjust my processing a bit compared to mk3 files. With the mk3 I used canon standard as profile; for the iv I actually prefer portrait.

And it might be me, but it seems mk3 files are just a tad sharper. Anyone cares to share their opinion on this?

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

evertdoorn wrote:
yes, both LR and PM work just fine but I found that I had to adjust my processing a bit compared to mk3 files. With the mk3 I used canon standard as profile; for the iv I actually prefer portrait.

And it might be me, but it seems mk3 files are just a tad sharper. Anyone cares to share their opinion on this?

maybe b/c more MP

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:38 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

evertdoorn wrote:

sharper when... on import to Lr .... out the door? raw's ... jpg's?

Me ... same or a tad sharper than mkIII.
better color, contrast, etc... the 5dmkIV that is.

-Mark

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:07 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D4 workflow ... is it up to speed yet?

on import and applying sharpening preset. Perhaps I should adjust my sharpening settings; what do you guys use?

after changing my color profile and adjusting my basic preset a bit I like the files, but at first I had the impression skin tones were a bit yellowish compared to the 5d3 (which I love to death, colorwise).

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password