New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Voigtlander MTF's...

MAubrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander MTF's...

I know it's said that Voigtlander doesn't provide MTF's for their lenses. And that's certainly true on their website and all the marketing materials that I've ever seen.

That is, except for this image that I pulled off an Ebay listing a couple years ago (the top line being the usual Japanese seller hyperbole about X being sold out all over Japan!!!):

Anyone know its source? Or whether there are other similar materials out there for other Voigtlander lenses?

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander MTF's...

I haven't found any MTF diagrams for Voigtlander lenses. There's sporadic coverage of specific lenses at sites like PhotoZone, LensTip, and some Russian site that I can't find at the moment. Unfortunately, there's not enough common ground to compare them with the other usual suspects.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM
MAubrey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander MTF's...

jcolwell wrote:
I haven't found any MTF diagrams for Voigtlander lenses. There's sporadic coverage of specific lenses at sites like PhotoZone, LensTip, and some Russian site that I can't find at the moment. Unfortunately, there's not enough common ground to compare them with the other usual suspects.

There's one right here from Voigtlander in the image above. It's tiny and nearly impossible to read, but it's there. Ever since I found it, I've wonder if there are brochures like there for any other lenses.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander MTF's...

jcolwell wrote:
I haven't found any MTF diagrams for Voigtlander lenses.

MAubrey wrote:
There's one right here from Voigtlander in the image above. It's tiny and nearly impossible to read, but it's there.

I know. I count that as one that you found.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander MTF's...

My opinion is the best hope of getting MTFs for Voigtlander lenses is to petition Roger Cicala. He's probably about the only likely and sympathetic source able to provide this information, considering that Cosina apparently won't.

(I sent him a PM)

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander MTF's...

FWIW, Roger replied that he has too few copies of most Voigtlander lenses in order to do meaningful MTFs in respect to possible copy variation...

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:37 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander MTF's...

rscheffler wrote:
FWIW, Roger replied that he has too few copies of most Voigtlander lenses in order to do meaningful MTFs in respect to possible copy variation...

But that doesn't stop him from making the measurements, they just need to have the usual "data from one copy of this lens" caveat accompany the data.

Nov 01, 2016 at 02:03 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander MTF's...

jhinkey wrote:
But that doesn't stop him from making the measurements, they just need to have the usual "data from one copy of this lens" caveat accompany the data.

Does that caveat ever have any meaningful impact, as far as its intended purpose?

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:44 PM
paulhofseth
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander MTF's...

Not good if that implies a signifiantly large variation in quality between copies!

In my experience (one copy of each), 15, 25 in Leica mount & 90 in EF, they are all good.

p.

Nov 01, 2016 at 07:24 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander MTF's...

rscheffler wrote:

Nevertheless there must be some excess of CV lenses since they are offered for sale on LensAuthority.....but likely it is not a "focus area" of some sort.....

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password