New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon saved my butt today...

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon saved my butt today...

Ok, So last weekend, late at night when the wife and baby were asleep, I finally got to rearrange my bags.

Some context: I started shooting Canon and have Canon gear and added Nikon a few years ago. I still shoot both depending on the job.

I have a Nikon DX bag with DX camera and lenses, my main FX bag, and my Canon bag of APSC and 5D mk2.

Anyways, I made some changes and wanted to keep at least a mix of canon and Nikon in all three bags. Sounds stupid, I know, but I tend to shoot with others and in case something happens I have the right body or lens to borrow, etc...

So fast forward to this morning where I'm in downtown Toronto to photographs some new executives for Rogers. I take the appropriate bag and head out.

I get to the location, open my bag and it's a Nikon D700 with a Dx 18-105 lens from my old D7000 in the bag along with a 28mm 1.8G. My Canon is my 5D Mark 2 with my 18-135 STM lens. I have no idea what I was thinking when I put this bag together. I thought I put my 50mm 1.8 STM in there but it's in another bag.

Suffice to say, my Canon setup was useless because I can't even put that lens on the body. No problems with Nikon since FX takes DX lenses.

I ended up taking full body shots with the 28mm 1,8G and headshots with the 18-105 DX lens (not a bad lens by the way). I would have hated to take close up headshots with the 28mm. I like a long lens for that.

So thank you Nikon for allowing me to make a huge mistake and not look like a total idiot.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:15 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon saved my butt today...

Nikon saves my butt every time I go click ... great story.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:51 AM
petterf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon saved my butt today...

This is the Nikon Challange.

Happy to hear you solved it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:17 AM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon saved my butt today...

I beg to differ. The Nikon lenses and the Nikon AF always save my butt. Apart from that, my D700 is VERY good at telling me where and how bad my technique sucks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:26 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon saved my butt today...

So is that true of all Canon dx lenses ie they won't work on fx bodies or is it because it's an STM lens (which I'm assuming is the canon electronic aperture ?)

I use AI,ais, pre AI manual focus lenses almost every day on my d800 and d7000 for non paying and paying work and both dx and fx AF lenses for paying jobs and they all work in a pinch even if not the most suitable tools in a given situation. It is THE reason I shoot Nikon.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:41 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon saved my butt today...

It's not physically possible to put EFS lenses on full frame body. Not sure why that is but it's been that way forever.

So if you have a collection of EFS lenses and move to full frame you have to sell them all because you cannot mouth them. That's why canon mounts have a white dot and red dot for the 2 types of lenses.

cadman342001 wrote:
So is that true of all Canon dx lenses ie they won't work on fx bodies or is it because it's an STM lens (which I'm assuming is the canon electronic aperture ?)

I use AI,ais, pre AI manual focus lenses almost every day on my d800 and d7000 for non paying and paying work and both dx and fx AF lenses for paying jobs and they all work in a pinch even if not the most suitable tools in a given situation. It is THE reason I shoot Nikon.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon saved my butt today...

I just had this same frustrating conversation with a friend whose a Sony guy. He's got both A and E mount lenses with adapters and two different bodies. He hates it when I call them his Betamax cameras. This is one on main reasons I love Nikon.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon saved my butt today...

Nikon puts a lot of importance on backwards compatibility and support for legacy equipment. You can use your grandpa's Nikkor 50 1.4 AIS on your modern D810. Same thing with old speedlights. Nikon is sticking with the F-mount so that your vintage glass won't become paperweight, unlike that other brand...

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon saved my butt today...

Joseph. wrote:
Nikon puts a lot of importance on backwards compatibility and support for legacy equipment. You can use your grandpa's Nikkor 50 1.4 AIS on your modern D810. Same thing with old speedlights. Nikon is sticking with the F-mount so that your vintage glass won't become paperweight, unlike that other brand...

Well, they're moving to E lenses now, which makes older camera bodies obsolete for focusing.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:35 AM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon saved my butt today...

RSHPhotography wrote:
Well, they're moving to E lenses now, which makes older camera bodies obsolete for focusing.

I'm frankly scared of the E lenses because of backwards compatibility reasons. I like my old stuff too much to want to buy something new and realize it's too fancy to be useful. Good way to keep a lid on my GAS I suppose.

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:43 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon saved my butt today...

A little clarification is in order here. "E" lenses (electronic diaphragm) has nothing to do with focusing, nor will it render old bodies obsolete. "E" lenses just means no more aperture lever. You can still mount and use the E lenses on old cameras like the D40 or even the film FE. The limitation is that you can only shoot wide open, but the E lenses are still mountable and usable. This is totally different as to when Canon abandoned the FD mount since you can't even mount them natively on modern bodies anymore.

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:04 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon saved my butt today...

Joseph. wrote:
A little clarification is in order here. "E" lenses (electronic diaphragm) has nothing to do with focusing, nor will it render old bodies obsolete. "E" lenses just means no more aperture lever. You can still mount and use the E lenses on old cameras like the D40 or even the film FE. The limitation is that you can only shoot wide open, but the E lenses are still mountable and usable. This is totally different as to when Canon abandoned the FD mount since you can't even mount them natively on modern bodies anymore.

I was quite well aware of all this and I still look at E lenses with suspicion. Ability to mount is great, but I really want to be able to control the aperture.

I completely agree that Canon was being kinda douchey with its mount.

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password