Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I want to shoot wireless tethered to an iPad in my portrait studio so I need to select the best product for this. Remote control of the camera is much less important to me than the wireless tether to the iPad for on-the-spot image review.

I need it to be fast and reliable and easy to setup and use.

I want to be able to save raw images to the card and send .jpgs to the iPad.

I use a D750, D500 and D810 in the studio.

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:49 PM
milkod2001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

In our photo studio im using this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858937-REG/Tether_Tools_CU5454_15_TetherPro_USB_3_0.html

Great inexpensive solution, works very good, it's fast and reliable. The problem starts when you need to take camera of tripod and move around to get details shots etc. Cable does come off camera very easily and connection between camera and PC gets lost.

For wireless connection, files transmission, camera control this could work: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/wireless/wt-5a-wireless-transmitter.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

It should be able to 'talk' to your iPad.

I have never tried that, would love to see others to comment on this and also to see some other 3rd party cheaper reliable wireless solutions- recommendations.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:56 AM
petterf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

You could go with TP-Link MR3040 and
http://dslrdashboard.info

Which is the same hardware as camranger but with a different firmware.
That's a cost of $35 for the hardware and a tenner for the iOS app I believe.
Then you have remote control and tethering.

For just photo tether you could do FlashAir card. And run their free app on iPad. Nowadays when Eyefi is closing or at least stopped selling their own cards and is launching a coop with Toahiba and their FlashAir you could also use eyefi own app which supports FlashAir.

There are other apps and programs that can pull photos from the Toshiba card as well.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:52 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

We use CR on location, works well.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:15 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I hated the Eyefi. I'm looking for recommendations from people who have used a product on a Nikon and with an iPad. I'm concerned about speed and the ability to save Raw to the card and JPEG going to the iPad. Thanks!

B

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:36 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I have the CamRanger and it will do that. It sends a basic JPEG to the iPad and keeps the RAW on the card. Works well, but you should have an extra battery or two. You also need a tether cable support strap of some sort and a place to hold the CamRanger on your person. I have about a 5' cable and put mine in my pocket when shooting.

One thing I like about the CamRanger is the ability to see the histogram on the iPad along with the larger image. If I want to tweak something (aperture, shutter speed, etc.) I can do it from the iPad and hit the capture button on the iPad again quickly. This saves a lot of time when the camera's on a tripod shooting head shots.

I shoot with Nikon D600 and D810s.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:31 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

Thank you ST.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I've shot with a CR,Nikon 800/810 and iPad for several years. Mostly interiors. Works great. Just shoot Raw and jpeg. As noted above, you will want a few batteries for the camera. Invaluable.

Craig

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:41 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

petterf wrote:
You could go with TP-Link MR3040 and
http://dslrdashboard.info

Since "best" includes price, that's what I do. It's stable enough for commercial use.

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:36 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

story_teller wrote:
You also need a tether cable support strap of some sort and a place to hold the CamRanger on your person. I have about a 5' cable and put mine in my pocket when shooting.

Do you really need a tether cable support strap or is this a recommendation? I assume you're talking about something like a Tether Tools Jerk Stopper?

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

No, what he means is there is nowhere to mount the camranger. It is big enough to be an issue.. it just can't hang from the camera. So it can work to put it in your pocket if you have the right length cable. They also make a mount for the hot shoe, but I'm already using that spot for a Cybercommander.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

Oh!!
Or put it in it's pouch with a lanyard around your neck.
Thanks for explaining. I guess I was thinking that I would just hang it on the tripod, not thinking people would use it otherwise.
DOH!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I have the Camranger and the TetherTools kit. Wired tethering is the way to go especially if you have a laptop. I only use the Camranger when I really need a wireless setup.

The Camranger is a great wireless tethering system but until now, it was the only game in town. The Case Air is on the market now and retails for $160 while the Camranger is $300. They both do the same thing including app features.

Note: Use a jerk stopper at the cable connections or simply secure the connections with a small piece of gaff tape to avoid interruptions.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM
Anastacio

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I agree with Konablue. Wired tethering is the way to go if you need speed and more real time actions. I use Canon 5d mark3 with dslrdashboard (same as camranger) on IPAD 2.

But my experience was better on a wired tether and android tablet. IMHO

Jan 02, 2017 at 11:43 AM
WebbCMH

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

blutch wrote:
I want to shoot wireless tethered to an iPad in my portrait studio so I need to select the best product for this. Remote control of the camera is much less important to me than the wireless tether to the iPad for on-the-spot image review.

I need it to be fast and reliable and easy to setup and use.

I want to be able to save raw images to the card and send .jpgs to the iPad.

I use a D750, D500 and D810 in the studio.

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated!

I was reading this and was wondering if you found a wireless solution that solved your issue. I also use an 810 and only want on-the-spot image review capabilities to an iPad or iPad mini. I want to use it on location whilst shooting fashion and more for my use to check focus etc, not necessarily for a client. I seems the Camranger and Case Air are the main contenders on the market but I wondered what you had decided?

Apr 01, 2017 at 05:06 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

I ended up getting a Camranger when it went on sale for $200. It has worked great for my needs.

B

Apr 01, 2017 at 10:34 AM
WebbCMH

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

Many thanks for responding. Pleased it is a good solution for you - Im hoping to try out a Case Air in the next few weeks and if it doesn't tick my boxes it'll be the camranger for me too.

Many thanks again

Conrad

Apr 02, 2017 at 03:15 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

Tried the Toshiba Wi-Fi card in my D810, didn't work.

Bought the Case Air, very small and mounts on the hot shoe. Easy enough to set up and functions well with the latest firmware. I set up my camera to shoot Raw on one card and JPEG on the other and the JPEG gets sent to my old iPad2 within a few of seconds. All the shooting parameters are on the iPad and you can shoot remotely with the iPad if you want.

Since I use a Pocket Wizard radio a lot I am fashioning a fleabay QR clamp to mount the Case Air to my RRS camera plates so the hot shoe is free.

Overall, I like the Case Air, wish the transfer speed was instant but I think any Wi-Fi solution will have a delay.

Apr 02, 2017 at 10:31 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

Sounds identical to the Camranger. It takes 1-2 seconds to transfer the image. Fast enough for me.

I do need to figure out how to mount it to my camera. Anyone have any ideas on that one?

Apr 02, 2017 at 10:32 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camranger? Case Air? Best wireless tethered remote control hardware

blutch wrote:
Sounds identical to the Camranger. It takes 1-2 seconds to transfer the image. Fast enough for me.

I do need to figure out how to mount it to my camera. Anyone have any ideas on that one?

If the Camranger has a tripod socket (Case Air does) then just get a Arca Swiss plate and attach it to the CR. Then use a QR clamp on the camera and slide the CR into the clamp and it is secure. If no tripod socket, maybe silicone or epoxy a mount onto it(test for Wi-Fi signal first) then proceed to QR clamp.

Apr 02, 2017 at 06:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.