New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

tntcorp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

oops - i erred, it's sdxc compatible. i retract my incorrect statement.

i am going to blame on my vision for the initial spec review... :-)

ontime wrote:
First of all- to say that would cripple the device is a bit hyperbolic. Many PCs don't even have card readers.

And is that really true?
"Full-size SD card reader (SDXC) compatible"

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:07 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Yeah im buying one... was thinking of buying a lens this christmas, but this looks amazing.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:59 AM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I have to say it looks really cool. The European price is probably going to be massive. Something like 4500 for 32 gb Version is my guess Does anyone know if it supports 10 bit color channel? Pretty important to me.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:48 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Who said "The road to the future is paved with dongles" ??

not a big fan of this site but here's their take:

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/06/will-microsofts-surface-studio-crush-apples-mac-bu.aspx

Nov 06, 2016 at 08:40 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Paul Mo wrote:
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5483/29964171244_0c5f0c3220_b.jpg

Nope. Neither do I.

The iMac has an "abbreviated" keyboard and puts the entire computer behind and below the screen. The Studio puts the entire computer on the stand itself, and offers an articulating arm that offers a lot more ergonomic flexibility.

And of course, as you concede, the functional distinctions are night and day. Apple didn't invent the idea of simplified, metallic minimalist design.

Nov 07, 2016 at 08:48 AM
rdvisuals

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

EB-1 wrote:
...There is also the issue of failures and upgrades where options are far more limited than in a conventional PC system. Finally, the lack of internal storage is a PITA.

EBH

For us creative types, external storage is pretty much the best way to go anyway. I have 3 different thunderbolt RAID arrays that I use as my (1) main data drive, (1) backup drive, and (1) video project drive. I also have a dual HDD dock that I use to archive large projects for specific clients onto bare drives that get stored in a cabinet. Pretty much only use internal storage for OS & apps.

---------------------------------------------

bootster wrote:
"Today, Apple removed the MagSafe 2 charging port type, they stripped away the HDMI port, they ripped out the SD card slot, they shuttered the Thunderbolt 2 ports (which you probably used like three times) and they most notably killed the standard USB port. All these ports, which power data transfer and charging for most everything you likely use, have been replaced by four Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Surprisingly the folks at Apple saw it fit to give the headphone jack a stay of execution on the new model."

Apple strips useful ports

Apple has a history of brute-forcing technology forward, with no regard for softening the transition with backwards compatibility. Whether this is a flaw or virtue is up to debate, but it's certainly consistent with their design ideals: minimal and elegant.

I've been a fan of Apple products for a while now, currently using 2 (expensive) Mac Pros, 1 MacBook Pro, a 13" iPad Pro, an iPad Air, and of course an iPhone. There are a few things I don't like about Apple, but in general their hardware is excellent quality and their software ecosystem works extremely well out of the box; important for a digital life with multiple devices.

I have to say, though, that the Surface Studio is the first product from MS in quite some time that has increased my pulse a bit. And mainly for one simple reason: a large touch screen that easily converts from traditional workstation to a sturdy, perfectly-angled tablet. Yes, the dial looks quite sexy and has that near sci-fi wow factor, but it remains to be seen how revolutionary it could become in the long term. (I actually find it intriguing as an input for audio mixing).

I've long thought that touch desktops were basically useless because it's not convenient or natural to interact with a desktop by touch... always MUCH faster to use a mouse/keyboard. Creative work, however, very often needs something like a wacom tablet. I actually use my iPad pro with Astropad and the pencil to do retouching work. But even at 13" the screen often feels just a bit too small, and as good as Astropad is, it doesn't feel quite as responsive as my old Wacom. I think I'd love using a 28" surface that could easily and STURDILY be positioned at a perfect angle for hand work. Sturdy is key here; sturdy enough to lean on!

The biggest downside to the new Surface Studio, IMO is that it's MS. I only have 1 Win10 workstation that's used primarily for bookkeeping, and though it's MUCH better than WIN8, I'm still a bit leery.

Nov 07, 2016 at 03:17 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

maybe it's time to discuss how they screwed up iTunes?

Nov 07, 2016 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Etherton
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

EB-1 wrote:
So MS is making a version of an iMac now?

EBH

The iMac isn't even in the same league as the new MS Surface Studio. Apples and High Def Oranges.

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Etherton wrote:
The iMac isn't even in the same league as the new MS Surface Studio. Apples and High Def Oranges.

My point was about the form factor and market. I have no use for that sort of integrated product at all, so the differences are not so meaningful as it is to you experts.

EBH

Nov 12, 2016 at 06:09 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

If you do not see that these are for two completely different markets, then they are not for you. They are not even close in functionality.

Nov 13, 2016 at 09:19 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

rw11 wrote:
maybe it's time to discuss how they screwed up iTunes?

Screwed up? I don't recollect it ever being good.

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:18 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

15Bit wrote:
Screwed up? I don't recollect it ever being good.

iTunes is a mess. It's been a mess for 10 years. It's really astonishing. I say this as someone who likes the iPhone quite a bit.

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:28 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

EB-1 wrote:
My point was about the form factor and market. I have no use for that sort of integrated product at all, so the differences are not so meaningful as it is to you experts.

EBH

Sure, they're similar in the sense that they're both computers. So yeah, I guess you're right if you think of it that way.

Nov 17, 2016 at 06:29 AM
rdvisuals

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

By the way, I tried out one of the new surface studios at our Microsoft store the other day. As I suspected, the form factor and screen are awesome. It very easily slips down to the "draftsman table" position and it feels quite sturdy even when you lean on it to draw.

The wheel is also cool; something satisfying about placing an object like that on the screen and seeing the interface respond. But, also as I suspected, the whole fluidity of the UX seems just a tad behind. The display doesn't always respond to the wheel perfectly, with the UI sometimes momentarily offset by a few inches. Also, being Windows I think, there are times where whatever you're doing feels just a bit laggy, almost like watching a video with dropped frames every now and then.

The incredible fluidity and instant response of Apple's environments is still in a league of its own, IMO.

Yeah, iTunes is junk, but I use my Macs as work computers, and almost never (as in maybe twice per year) ever play music through iTunes. Same with Apple's Photos app; I only use that to see images synced from my iPhone. Otherwise I live in Lightroom. So no big deal for me.

Nov 20, 2016 at 01:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password