New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I posted this over in the Post Processing and Printing forum, but I'll post it again here. This device looks to be a very useful device for photographers and artists alike.

The newest product in the Surface line has been revealed today and it looks like it could be a trendsetter. It looks like it has many new features not available elsewhere. The screen is the best looking thing we have seen yet, and it supports 10 bit color. See the new Surface Studio

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

So MS is making a version of an iMac now?

EBH

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:33 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Looks pretty cool. A lot of the artists I work with are interested. The dial is quite unique, but will be limited by software implementation.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:30 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

bootster wrote:
I posted this over in the Post Processing and Printing forum, but I'll post it again here. [/url]

There's a method to cross post without creating new messages in multiple forums.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1333789

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Yes, after Lenovo tried and, IMO, failed. I said basically the same thing over in post-processing, but forgot to make it crystal clear that I was talking about aesthetics. Form = very Apple. Function = not so much. Let's get that clear before we get taken behind the bike sheds and beaten up.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:03 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

This is extremely different from iMac. I don't see any relation between the two products. Have you actually looked at what it is?

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

curious80 wrote:
I don't see any relation between the two products.

Nope. Neither do I.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:46 AM
tung256

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

i dont see how it looks like an iMac.
if anything, it looks more like a Sony design.
some people think my Sony smartphone looks like an iphone just because it is white. i tell them, "i dont think you know what an iphone looks like. there's no home button, the bezel is much smaller, the sides are not curved, and theres no apple logo in the back."

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:16 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I'd like to see you lay that Mac screen down flat so that you could draw on it. Oh, wait, you can't! You can't lay it down flat, OR draw on the screen. The Surface Studio is clearly nothing like the Mac, except for the basic necessities of a screen and a keyboard. The possibilities are endless with the ability to draw directly on a webpage and to touch up photos with a stylus. I can already do that on my Surface Pro, so I know how nice of a feature that is. This thing looks like an SP4 on steroids.

I love the thin bezel on the SS.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:13 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

my error. sd card reader is sdxc compatible as corrected by "ontime" in later posting.

ignore my original comment below the dotted line.

-----------------------------------------
built in sd card reader is not sdxc compatible.... ms just crippled an innovative device with old tech.

well, perhaps the 2nd gen will have the improvement.

Edited on Oct 28, 2016 at 04:12 AM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

To me it's all about the software, not the hardware and the Mac OS is so much better than Windows. Hardware comes and goes...software is where it's at.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:29 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

First of all- to say that would cripple the device is a bit hyperbolic. Many PCs don't even have card readers.

And is that really true?
"Full-size SD card reader (SDXC) compatible"

tntcorp wrote:
built in sd card reader is not sdxc compatible.... ms just crippled an innovative device with old tech.

well, perhaps the 2nd gen will have the improvement.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:53 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Paul Mo wrote:
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5483/29964171244_0c5f0c3220_b.jpg

Nope. Neither do I.

Really? Have you actually looked at any other product details apart from looking a picture of it on the stand? Does iMac look anything like the following?

Its a very different use case. It would have made more sense if you compare it to an iPad - this is really like a very large iPad / Surface tablet. Not related to iMac at all

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:37 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

It looks as if Apple has started to lose interest in the hardware game and they are looking to center their attention on Apple TV. The Windows 10 OS will dominate the sales market, and that battle has also been lost to a big gain for Microsoft.

I'm really disappointed, as competition is a good thing, but Apple has put it's tail between it's legs and removed itself from the hardware and software implementation altogether. I have waited for a long, long time to invest in a laptop, and I'm glad that I came into the market when I did. Microsoft is diligently pursuing software and hardware innovations, and they are coming out with some really intelligent devices. It's a good day for Microsoft, for Apple, not so much.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Paul Mo wrote:
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5483/29964171244_0c5f0c3220_b.jpg

Nope. Neither do I.

EBH

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

curious80 wrote:
Its a very different use case. It would have made more sense if you compare it to an iPad - this is really like a very large iPad / Surface tablet. Not related to iMac at all

If the display part separates from the base and has decent battery life I could see using it as a tablet. Otherwise it's another all-in-one, but with a pen surface like a Cintiq. I found that type not of much use for photo editing, but I understand the market case for illustrators and graphic artists.

EBH

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Paul Mo wrote:
Yes, after Lenovo tried and, IMO, failed. I said basically the same thing over in post-processing, but forgot to make it crystal clear that I was talking about aesthetics. Form = very Apple. Function = not so much. Let's get that clear before we get taken behind the bike sheds and beaten up.

That's the gist of it.

One of the main crippling factors with the all in ones is that the display can't be used through a KVM with other computers. Most of the time I use 2-3 computers and switch between them for various purposes. I'd need to set up a larger workspace with a low-friction rolling chair to have two keyboards, mice, etc. There is also the issue of failures and upgrades where options are far more limited than in a conventional PC system. Finally, the lack of internal storage is a PITA.

EBH

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:29 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

ontime wrote:
First of all- to say that would cripple the device is a bit hyperbolic. Many PCs don't even have card readers.

And is that really true?
"Full-size SD card reader (SDXC) compatible"

That's funny that you said that. Here's a quote from the article I am linking to.

"Today, Apple removed the MagSafe 2 charging port type, they stripped away the HDMI port, they ripped out the SD card slot, they shuttered the Thunderbolt 2 ports (which you probably used like three times) and they most notably killed the standard USB port. All these ports, which power data transfer and charging for most everything you likely use, have been replaced by four Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Surprisingly the folks at Apple saw it fit to give the headphone jack a stay of execution on the new model."

Apple strips useful ports

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:08 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Dang, no SCSI port!

The MSS does look pretty cool to use. Being a purely Mac environment with a crapload of data on dozens of HFS+ formatted HDDs, I have no idea how I'd integrate this into my ecosystem. Also still quite wary of Windows...

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

bootster wrote:
That's funny that you said that. Here's a quote from the article I am linking to.

"Today, Apple removed the MagSafe 2 charging port type, they stripped away the HDMI port, they ripped out the SD card slot, they shuttered the Thunderbolt 2 ports (which you probably used like three times) and they most notably killed the standard USB port. All these ports, which power data transfer and charging for most everything you likely use, have been replaced by four Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Surprisingly the folks at Apple saw it fit to give the headphone jack a stay of execution on
...Show more

So now people will have a bunch of dongles again for basic USB devices or the videos.

EBH

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password