New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

The newest product in the Surface line has been revealed today and it looks like it could be a trendsetter. It looks like it has many new features not available elsewhere. The screen is the best looking thing we have seen yet, and it supports 10 bit color. See the new Surface Studio

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:11 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I'm really intrigued by this device. Not so excited once I saw the price...I'd also imagine the odds of them selling the monitor only are pretty low.

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:41 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

This is your 3rd post on the same subject. We get it...you are excited...but maybe catch your breath for a bit.

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:58 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Do you have anything positive to add to the forum? I'm all caught up. Concern _____ is a bad habit.

Before you become too concerned with my postings, I posted about two different products. Maybe you might want to read them, then think, then post.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 06:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:00 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Double post

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:00 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Looks extremely impressive, quite possibly beating Apple at their own game. Don't see any detailed CPU specs, which irks me, but from the design i would guess it is not the highest clocked model as the base unit doesn't look like it can supply enough cooling for both a highly clocked CPU and a GTX 980M.

The price is high for the performance offered, but you are really paying for the design and some clever premium features. The value of those is very much personal.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:17 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

It is a quad core. That I do know, but it isn't really clear as to what exact processor it is. I have two beefs with it right off the bat. It should have been a Nvidia 1000 series, not 900, and it should have included a USB 3.1 interface. Other than that, the price is seemingly high, although it is a touch screen, pre calibrated, 10 bit display. I have to run a dedicated Quadro card to my 10 bit monitor to get a 10 bit interface. There are no Nvidia GTX series graphics cards that are capable of 10 bit output. I run a GT 970 to my other monitor to do tasks on, as the Quadro is a lot slower than the GT 970 as far as speed of processing power goes. I love the 10 bit output, as each pixel goes from 16 million to 1 billion colors.

These two things should have been addressed in the specs. It still looks like a really fun PC, as you can do a lot of creative things with it that you cannot do on any Mac.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:49 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I agree about the 1000 series, but consider that 10 bit colour is most likely a driver limitation not a hardware one. They may have a special driver from Nvidia...

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:52 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

That could be. As far as I know, you can relate the drivers for the GeForce series "dumbing down" the 10 bit ability, just as you would Canon not allowing some video features in it's DSLR's to force you to buy the dedicated camcorders. The ability is there, you just can't unlock it with the drivers, as far as I know. I am just speculating here, but I have spent years researching this and have gone through many Quadro, as well as GeForce cards.

This is something that I will investigate, but I still don't like the idea that it doesn't have a USB 3.1 interface. That is a real bummer.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:04 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

So blatantly copying Apple. To the point where it is a bit off. I guess that is inevitable given their prime directive of killing Apple in a post-Jobs world.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bootster
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Paul Mo wrote:
So blatantly copying Apple. To the point where it is a bit off. I guess that is inevitable given their prime directive of killing Apple in a post-Jobs world.

There's a huge difference for me. I never have and never will buy anything "Apple", and I'm going to get one of these. This will go great with my Surface Pro 4. I love that device. This one has features that are unique to itself, and the competition can only help the consumer.

The price is high, but you can't make money waiting for Apple to catch up.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Double post (again)

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Considering that Apple has neither an All-in-one with pen input, nor an OS that supports touch, and certainly has never made a Cintiq-style hinged display, who's copying Apple here?

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:10 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

It's a unique device that Apple will never copy, and they have never, or won't ever manufacture one of these. To say it's a copy of anything is just an unfounded statement. This device is a game changer for draftsman and artists alike. 28" touchscreen that's very thin and can be drawn on like a drafting table. That is impressive, I don't care if you're a fanboi or not, it's unique in the industry. The best thing about it is that it is available soon, and you can begin to use it, it's tangible. If you look at the prices of monitors that compare to this, you won't be as shell shocked at the price. You can run auto CAD, DaVinci, or most of the powerful software that real professionals use on a touchscreen, with a stylus to boot! It doesn't run "OSX" either, and that's a HUGE plus.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Talking aesthetics, not function. I have no stake in either, but take a non-literate person and they'd swear it was an iMac with a Mac Mini-type box and Magic Keyboard below.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:32 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

I can see your viewpoint on this, but pretty much anything that is fully integrated (and is not a separate tower plus screen) is going to have strong resemblance to an iMac. Apple did a great job in redesigning the "PC" when they launched those, and it is a testament that they still set the standard in design terms.

To my mind this is actually sufficiently different in both form (the base unit and screen configuration) and function (the hinged screen mount, puck, pen, ability to go between vertical and horizontal) that i don't see it as an iMac clone at all. I admit it builds upon the iMac design in some ways, but it is more than innovative enough in both form and function that i think it is unfair to call it a blatant copy.

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:53 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

It seems odd to me that for a system that is targeted at professionals, there is no mention of color management. I would hope that it would have a software based calibration approach that is automated. Why talk about 10 bit color without mentioning a basic issue like calibration? Most monitors that are targeted at graphics professionals will also give you color space coverage info. Rationally, I have always felt that All-in-One computers were crazy concept ... your computer gets a little old and you have to get rid of it and your monitor investment.

But as a current Surface Pro 4 owner, I would like to own one of these Surface Studios. It is not a rational decision and may not work out for photo editing. But, I like the concept and have really enjoyed my Surface Pro 4. Hopefully, as we get into 2017 we will learn more about the Studio and it's suitability for photo workflow.

I was planning to build a new computer system in the coming months. My targeted system would be substantially more powerful than the Studio.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

bootster wrote:
To say it's a copy of anything is just an unfounded statement.

Even in terms of aesthetics?

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:48 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

In fairness Paul, the design of the Dell monitor on the desk in front of me is almost exactly the same as that. Your argument then logically extends to Apple ripping off the basic shape of a screen when designing the iMac. Which is obviously ridiculous.

Given the strict design limitation of having a screen, all these integrated computers are going to look alike. Apple innovated by integrating all the computer parts into the screen for the iMac, and they redefined the desktop PC when they showed that it could be done stylishly with few compromises and that people would buy it. MS is innovating here in other ways, in particular by putting the hardware in a nice looking base unit and integrating a clever hinge. I honestly think you are being unfair here.

That all said, if you have a look over at the Dell website you will notice that they have something similar, with a folding hinge. You might have firmer grounds for arguing that MS is taking some Dell ideas....

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Microsoft Surface Studio is revealed

Yeah, I'm not taking this seriously - just a bit of humour and some observations about the trend toward sameness. The same convergence in design we've seen with smartphones. Not a bad thing, but sometimes you wish companies would strive harder for originality. No big deal - hope it makes users happy. And it looks like a useful step in the evolution of computing.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password