New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · easiest photo editor?

israeljruiz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · easiest photo editor?

Please help, Ive been using Apple's Aperture for years and I loved it but unfortunately Apple is not supporting it anymore so I have to move on to another photo editor.

I loved how easy it was to use.

#1 Is there any photo editing software out there that is similar to Apple's Aperture software editing software anyone would like to recommend?

#2 If not, would someone please recommend a simple, easy to use photo editing software please...

Thank you for taking time to help...

-is

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Ryukyu
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · easiest photo editor?

I haven't ever used Aperture, so I can't compare ease of use.
I've been using Lightroom and have found it pretty easy to use. If you ever used Adobe Camera Raw, then Lightroom is similar, but in my opinion easier to use.
Just FYI, ON1 Photo RAW is due out soon as well. Most companies will let you try before you buy for 30 days, so maybe that's a good way for you to see for yourself what you like.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:51 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · easiest photo editor?

I use LR because it helps me organize my photos. The interface is straightforward and it is easy to do common corrections, but there's enough flexibility that you can grow and do more extensive post processing. I also like the fact that is uses non destructive editing.

The one thing I miss is layers, but whenever I need to use them, I just click the "edit in" button and work in PS.

I have pre-ordered On1 Raw. I have On1 10 right now and do some editing in it as well. It is also easy to use and I like the results I get.

I have plugins for LR, PS and On1. It really makes it easy to get some great looks easily. Check out Replichrome, Topaz and Photomorphis.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · easiest photo editor?

It would help if you told us what you like/use from Aperture and what you mean by 'similar'.

Apple's Photos would probably feel the most familiar to you coming from Aperture, but it's catalog management and a number of other features lie somewhere between iPhoto and Aperture.

I'd classify the other "DAM + editor" apps I've used as being far more advanced than Aperture for editing, poorer for catalog/file management, and a mixed bag for workflow.

Capture One Pro is the most 'similar' editor I can think of in terms of user interface and flexible workflow.

LR, C1, AfterShot Pro and others I've used are all very different from Aperture in terms of catalog management and range of adjustments available.

You might want to search for comparisons between Aperture and the other apps I've mentioned, as well as reviews of the apps. I know that LR and C1 have trial versions.

And if you don't need the DAM functionality, you can always look at Affinity Photo, Photoshop Elements, and other editors.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM
israeljruiz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · easiest photo editor?

Appreciate your suggestions. I'll check out LR and On1.

What I liked about Aperature was easy editing, create folders and not complicated at all.

Thanks Again!
-is

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · easiest photo editor?

Quite often the easiest way to learn new software, at least the basics to get started, is to sit down with someone and have them walk you through it.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:15 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · easiest photo editor?

I have been away from serious photography for a while but was using Aperture for general photo management/editing. Bought a Nikon D810, didn't want to go the Adobe renting way so have bought Affinity Photo and Capture One. Affinity Photo is a pretty easy switch if you are used to photoshop. Capture One takes a bit more work, I bough a book (Capture One Pro 9 - rockynook), which has helped enormously. It appears to me the trick with C1 is developing an organisational workflow you are comfortable with, there are many different ways you could do this, which can seem confusing if you are used to Aperture which is fairly simple. But once you have it, it is a great Raw convertor with everything you will need. Only the most intensive edits will make their way to Affinity Photo for me.

Oct 28, 2016 at 09:29 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · easiest photo editor?

LR.

Give yourself 3 weeks/50 - 100 hours to watch tutorials and learn the interface, then another 100 - 200 hours to get really familiar with what it can do. It's not perfect but it's one of the strongest platforms out there for basic to somewhat detailed photo editing and organization.

To get up and running quickly, lynda.com for a month (about $25) and Chris Orwig's LR basics courses.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · easiest photo editor?

I prefer the workflow of LR to anything else i have used, but often i prefer the output of C1. So i use the two in tandem, exporting from C1 and importing the tif to LR for cataloguing etc.

Not so much mentioned in these discussions - LR has a rich ecosystem of presets and plugins available, many of which are free or of very low cost.

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password